Tesla PwrWall/Gateway shutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Lithium batteries are not suitable for constant recharge cyclng, like a super capacitor or a lead-acid car battery, constantly recharged by vehicle alternators.

Lithium batteries lose capacity after each recharge, and fail after a few thousand cycles. If the lithium cells are arranged as First Charged First Discharged (FIFO), rather than First Charged Last Discharged (FILO), then the First cells charged are discharging First & suffering all the cycling wear & tear, while the rest of the battery gets little use.
Another significant effect, at least for some lithium chemistries, is that holding a cell indefinitely at 100% charge, even without cycling, can reduce the life of the battery. Many applications deal with this by limiting the upper charge level to 80-90% of full theoretical charge. This reduces the available stored power as a trade-off for longer battery life.

caribconsult

Occupation
Retired computer consultant
I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. FWIW, despite what you apparently have been told, Tesla has told my company that the PowerWall 2 is not certified for sustained off grid operation.

So who knows what to believe from Tesla? I have been told repeatedly that the 'off-grid' way we use it is perfectly within spec, and no one has previously mentioned that Li-Io batteries (which is what the PW is, right?) aren't suitable for regular repeated charge/recharge cycles. We were informed that the Tesla battery was the best for this, but you say otherwise, others have, too.

The Caribbean Tesla Mgr has this on his desk and is awaiting an approval to replace the equipment as defective, under warranty. They might want another crack at fixing it, which I am dead opposed to. This unit has failed over 20 times since we've had it...how many more times must it fail to qualify as defective?

The saga continues....

caribconsult

Occupation
You're being too kind!

You're being too kind!

Sounds like Tesla has some issues.

Understatement of the year. They not only have engineering issues, they don't keep a good eye on their authorized distributors. The outfit we bought ours from did a fine installation job but their follow-up customer service is a disaster. Their phone system totally was out of order months after the storms had passed, they weren't giving out cell numbers, they didn't return calls or reply to emails, and they sent people to our house without notifying us to expect a visit. They also seem to feel that even though they designed and spec'ed this system, their responsibility ends after the last screw is in place and the last wire connected. They don't quite get the concept of standing behind their products. So talking to them is a waste of time. Whoever you talk to just pushes onto the desk of someone else. No one is taking charge that doesn't need prodding from me, that I can see.

Fortunately, I've connected to the Caribbean Account Manager for Tesla and it's in his hands and Tier3 support. They have to decide repair/replace. I'm not in favor of repair, since several efforts have already been made to check, update, and verify operation of the existing setup and no problems were encountered other than a dated firmware version which was updated a month ago but has not cured the shutdown (and now fully dead, unstartable) issue. I want 'replace under warranty' and nothing less. We'll see just how good their 10 year warranty is.

To be continued....the nightmare goes on.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Take that Power wall out back and ventilate it!

I bet it will go off like the 4th of July. :happyyes:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
So who knows what to believe from Tesla? I have been told repeatedly that the 'off-grid' way we use it is perfectly within spec, and no one has previously mentioned that Li-Io batteries (which is what the PW is, right?) aren't suitable for regular repeated charge/recharge cycles. We were informed that the Tesla battery was the best for this, but you say otherwise, others have, too.
Just to be clear, I am not saying that I know that they are not suitable for regular charging and discharging; I am relaying to you what Tesla has told us, that their PowerWall 2 is not approved by them for sustained off grid use.

caribconsult

Occupation
Take that Power wall out back and ventilate it!

I bet it will go off like the 4th of July. :happyyes:

It's not overheating, at least not that can be seen or smelled or felt. The PW is on the wall in the coolest spot in the downstairs of the house, indoors, and the ambient temp is usually between 65-85 deg F. The case has no hot spots anywhere.

caribconsult

Occupation
Just to be clear, I am not saying that I know that they are not suitable for regular charging and discharging; I am relaying to you what Tesla has told us, that their PowerWall 2 is not approved by them for sustained off grid use.

Gotcha, loud and clear. I wasn't implying any doubt about what you said and I hope I didn't offend. I was merely pointing out the disparity in what many have been told by Tesla as to specs, limits, etc. It appears what you get told depends on who you talk to. I've gotten conflicting info from the same person on different calls, so just what are we supposed to believe?

caribconsult

Occupation
Tesla woes

Tesla woes

I think I get the point about the Smith & Wesson solution, but somehow I don't think that' s going to accomplish much in the way of fixing the system, and possibly could land me in jail on firearms charges. It's just a bit farfetched to claim I was in fear of my life from my Tesla.

So how about some suggestions to get Tesla off the dime here? They are moving at a snail's pace in evaluating whether to fix or replace my gear, meanwhile I have a broken system and a new electric bill I didn't have before. Do any of you posters here have a relationship with anyone in any position of authority at Tesla that I could plead my case to? A name? A phone number?

Arguing with the installers is pointless...they won't do anything until they get the approval from Tesla, and anytime I speak to them they want to tell me how wonderful they are and how they'll stand behind me and it sounds like a lot of lip service. Tesla has the ultimate decision power here, so any pointers you folks might have or contact info for someone in upper management would probably be more helpful.

Thanks again to all contributors.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I think I get the point about the Smith & Wesson solution, but somehow I don't think that' s going to accomplish much in the way of fixing the system, and possibly could land me in jail on firearms charges. It's just a bit farfetched to claim I was in fear of my life from my Tesla.

So how about some suggestions to get Tesla off the dime here? They are moving at a snail's pace in evaluating whether to fix or replace my gear, meanwhile I have a broken system and a new electric bill I didn't have before. Do any of you posters here have a relationship with anyone in any position of authority at Tesla that I could plead my case to? A name? A phone number?

Arguing with the installers is pointless...they won't do anything until they get the approval from Tesla, and anytime I speak to them they want to tell me how wonderful they are and how they'll stand behind me and it sounds like a lot of lip service. Tesla has the ultimate decision power here, so any pointers you folks might have or contact info for someone in upper management would probably be more helpful.

You might get more traction if you can get some local journalist interested in your story. "Multi-billion dollar company leaves customer in the dark, won't stand behind product". Name names. Do a press release and send a copy to Tesla's customer relations and PR departments. Tesla is having enough problems getting their model 3 on track they don't need the additional bad publicity.

ggunn

Occupation

No, unfortunately. The engineers and administrators at Tesla keep themselves well insulated from the likes of us.

caribconsult

Occupation
You might get more traction if you can get some local journalist interested in your story. "Multi-billion dollar company leaves customer in the dark, won't stand behind product". Name names. Do a press release and send a copy to Tesla's customer relations and PR departments. Tesla is having enough problems getting their model 3 on track they don't need the additional bad publicity.

Now there's a novel idea. I've been considering such a move, and I do have a collection of names at this point. "Getting your name up in lights" like this is never good.

As of now, the matter is in the hands of Tier3 tech support at Tesla, who are agonizing over whether to continue to potchka with this thing or replace it with a new one.

Thanks for your input. You may see your phrase somewhere, someday.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Look up the corporate contacts. Call or Email them , I can't believe they will continue to do nothing. You now have a dead product.
They have to do something.

caribconsult

Occupation
Reaching higher

Reaching higher

That's an excellent idea...reach higher into the executive levels. Just how do I do that? I can't find any phone numbers for Tesla Corporate other than the customer support number and that has gotten me nowhere. Can you provide any number or names of executive level personnel?

Thanks for helping.

ggunn

Occupation
That's an excellent idea...reach higher into the executive levels. Just how do I do that? I can't find any phone numbers for Tesla Corporate other than the customer support number and that has gotten me nowhere. Can you provide any number or names of executive level personnel?

Thanks for helping.
Good luck trying to get through to Elon or anyone else up the chain of command from their tech support guys. Execs of Tesla insulate themselves pretty well from rabble like us.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

Thanks for helping.

Look up the corporate info in the stock arena. You will find the governance.............

legal@tesla.com

Social media?

Craigv

Look up the corporate info in the stock arena. You will find the governance.............

legal@tesla.com

Social media?

My M.O. Has always been, "who's your manager?", and keep moving up the chain until there's action. And an actual letter addressed "to the president/CEO" has occasionally actually reached that person and stirred a pot or two. Sometimes simply asking who the person's manager is has gotten action, as nobody wants their boss asking why this issue is now in his/her lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.