Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: twisting groundwires

Originally posted by pierre:
He also mentioned that extending a conductor past the end of the barrel is not suggested.
HMMM! does this mean all of those equipment grounding splices are incorrect?
Depends on your brand of vodka, I guess. I am holding (or was, prior to sitting down) in my hot little hand T&B's Cat. No. 10-500 "HI-410" steel crimp sleeves, which are rated for copper conductors only. The instructions are as follows:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1. Strip wires approximately 1-1/2".</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">2. Insert through crimp sleeve and twist.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">3. Crimp sleeve twice and cut off excess.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
This indicates to me that these sleeves, at least, are designed to allow for the conductors to pass through the end of the barrel, as they require in step three to cut off the excess. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Ideal representative dude! :D

Interesting note, among the listed crimp tools for these sleeves are 425 Ideal, 428 Ideal, 429 Ideal.

charlie

Do you guys realize that this thread just passed 60 posts? I am glad we have this issue settled once and for all time. :D

iwire

Staff member

George according to the instructions you posted you can not leave a whip out to the device.

Until you cut off the excess you have a 110.3(B) violation. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.