twisting groundwires

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkb

Re: twisting groundwires

I have seen the ground wires twisted and then a Buchanan crimp sleeve used instead of a wirenut.

The sleeve was not crimped with the Buchanan 4 way crimper, they were just squeezed with linemans pliers.
Isn't this a UL violation?

Buchanan

jimwalker

Some klines have a half curve slot between the handles to crimp buchanions.If all they did was flaten the buchanion then yes its a violation

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Some klines have a half curve slot between the handles to crimp buchanions
The UL White book requires that the specified tool be used for wire connectors. As far as I know, Klein sidecut pliers are not specified for use with any crimp connector.
Don

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

The following comment is totally my opinion, and if I am demonstrated to be in error, I will respectfully apologize and will gladly retract any statements made here.

:mad: This aspect of listing is crooked. Of course a manufacturer is going to list their own crimper as the only one suitable for crimping their material!

Deep breath, I'm done.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

George,
The other crimp tools are, as you said almost identical, but the one on the side cut pliers is much different and I'm not sure it is suitable for crimp connections.
Don

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

George,
The shape and size of the crimp is different on the side cuts. I asked Klien about their side cut crimp at a trade show once and they told me that it has never been tested with any brand of connectors.
Don

charlie

George, do you have a clue as to what the manufacture's tolerance is on their sleeves or crimping tools? Do you know for a fact that they match and you will get a crimp that will pass the heat cycling tests? Only the tool from the same manufacturer of the sleeve will be assured of working correctly.

The sleeves for larger wire are standardized because of pressure from the electric utilities. Given time and pressure from NEMA, these will all be standardized as well. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Another perspective: Changing breakers. If you were to put a Cutler Hammer BR breaker into a Siemens ITE panel, it would fit. But there are factors not visible to the naked eye that come into play: The thickness of the busbar that the breaker is to draw power from, the tension that the breaker puts on the busbar to maintain a good pressure that isn't too tight or too loose. These items must be listed and used in their listed ways. Fires can be started this way.

Do you honestly believe that a competent electrician cannot verify in the field that, indeed, the grounding conductors are securely held in the crimp sleeve? This is not rocket science, there's no physics involved, no tricky math. Crush cylinder to mash wires together good. Those are instructions Grog could figure out with training. I'd defy someone to start a fire that way. I don't mean to undermine the importance of grounding, but I've seen greens fall off long before a crimp sleeve gives up, 9 times out of ten.

Just because someone uses the "proper" tool with it's connector doesn't entail that it will be installed properly. I think the most important tool can be found between the ears. :)

The sleeves for larger wire are standardized because of pressure from the electric utilities. Given time and pressure from NEMA, these will all be standardized as well.
Why would the utilities have concern for the grounding conductors in a house they'll never see? :confused:

George, do you have a clue as to what the manufacture's tolerance is on their sleeves or crimping tools? Do you know for a fact that they match and you will get a crimp that will pass the heat cycling tests?
You're absolutely right, I am unschooled in this matter. I speak solely from a viewpoint forged by training, experience and common sense. I'd like Klein to take the Pepsi challenge on the heat cycling and whatever other test you can perform on a 410 crimp sleeve. But I have a strong vigilante streak when it comes to this particular issue.

One more thing: If I'm wrong, why does the UL, NEMA, whoever else, stand idly by while Klein Tools Inc. sells crimpers and nines that are jeopardizing the public at large?

charlie

Why would the utilities have concern for the grounding conductors in a house they'll never see?
George, I was eluding to the connectors we use, not the ones you normally use. For instance a #4 to #2 (orange to red) insulated sleeve that takes a 5/8" die.

I will leave the rest for someone else to argue with you about. I just can't accept someone's argument that they can crimp with impunity and do it well all the time. I see this as a dangerous practice. :eek:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I just can't accept someone's argument that they can crimp with impunity and do it well all the time. I see this as a dangerous practice.
I understand, and I respect that. I trust that you can respect my honesty in my post? :)

My last question that I believe you or others might have insight on: Are Klein brand crimpers--crimpers, not nines--UL listed for any brand of crimp sleeve? I'll change brands if they are.

charlie

I trust that you can respect my honesty in my post?
Absolutely and I expect nothing less. I don't have a clue why we can't agree to disagree. I assume that is where we are and I will leave it to others to pick up the discussion if they feel so inclined.

Actually, this reminds me of meetings where the majority rules. Argue your points, vote, go along with the majority and still be friends with the guys you were arguing with. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Good deal. Makes me anxious to keep winding up on the other side of the fence from ya, Charlie. It's not intentional by any stretch. :)

But, it makes for good debate! :D

clayton

all i can say is great, now i have to go and buy the belden wire strippers because my ideal, greenlee and kline strippers maybe are not listed to cut and strip this wire. Aaahhhhh.

as far as the 10awg and below im with george on this one, most of the crimpers you buy handle all the ring lugs you want.

nothing wrong with the twist caps either

kendog

Inactive, Email Never Verified

I ALWAYS leave 6 to 8 inches of twisted wire than 6 to 8 inches of non twisted for each device. As far as grounds comming into to contact with devices I was always tought to hook my grounds up first push all twisted wires to the back of the box then hook up my nuetrals then the hots that whey your grounds are held back by you other wires. I've seen electricians hook up there nuetrals first then there grounds this is not a good practice. If you ever have to service one of these boxes you'll understand why.

physis

Well, I don't like Buchanons and I won't use them just cause I don't like them.

I can say this about crimping. I am James Bond with a pair of side cutters. I can make any crimp just with those. But I also wont get it right every time.

(I could build a house with only a pair of side cutters).

And there is a signifigant difference in a crimp made by a hand tool and one made with a ratcheted crimping tool. I say that not to imply that you need to use a fancy ratcheted tool but to illustrate that there are degrees of quality in a crimp.

George, I'm not challenging your practices, only typing my view. So don't yell at me. :D

physis

I only took out the cape in one thread so far, this one it's a black suit and a mild accent. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.