twisting groundwires

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: twisting groundwires

It was common some time ago to twist the EGC togehter and then terminate under one lug.
Its not done much anymore and actually would be more of a disadvantage.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

He may be referring to the practice of twisting together ground wires but not securing them together with a wire nut. I have opened up a couple of outlet boxes in my own home and found this.

I guess the electrician could not afford enough wire nuts.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Oh, I think he's asking about is it necessary to twist according to code, or does the wire nut do the job?

Code is silent on that. Code is also quiet on how to tie a three-way, but we do it everyday. :)

I twist. I don't understand why you feel it to be a disadvantage, Tom? My boxes would be unmanageable from a neatness standpoint if I didn't twist the grounds together.

Ed MacLaren

Recently, while installing a generator transfer switch, I had to move some cables from the main panel to the generator panel.

The electrician had twisted the EGCs together before connecting them to the ground bar in the panel.

I'm afraid I said some *#@+%$!* words.

Ed

websparky

The code is not silent on spices.

110.14 Electrical Connections.
(B) Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered. All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose.
Wire connectors or splicing means installed on conductors for direct burial shall be listed for such use.
As far as the twisting, read the manufacturers instructions for the "wire nuts". Some allow it and some don't.

peter d

250.148 is an important code article on this subject, yet is widely ignored. Many electricians dangerously assume that since the grounding conductor is not normally current carrying, it does need menchanical connection.

Mechanical connections such as wire connectors and crimp lugs are required.

Simply twisting the grounding conductors together is not adequate, and in fact, could create a high impedance connection under fault conditions. Many fires have ignited this way.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Dave,
As far as the twisting, read the manufacturers instructions for the "wire nuts". Some allow it and some don't.
Are you sure that some don't permit pretwisting? Can you cite a source? The only ones that I have ever seen said "pretwisting not necessary". That is not the same as saying "don't pretwist".
Don

physis

I was working on a building recently where the grounding conducter of the NM's were just twisted together, rather loosely too. My faith in that conducter clearing a fault is just the tiniest bit more than zero.

I can sort of deduce the installing electricians state of mind on the subject because in some boxes the grounding conducter was simply clipped off. Since it doesn't do anything anyway?

B

bthielen

I understand how troublesome it is to have to untwist the grounds to remove a wire but how do you manage stuffing all the wires into the device box while still being sure the bare grounds don't contact hot or neutral terminals on the devices? I picture a gang box with a half-dozen ground wires along with the bare pigtails being stuffed back into the box as one is fastening a couple duplex receptacles in place. It's bad enough being sure the twisted ones are controlled much less a bunch of spagetti. Seems like a potential short-circuit in the making.

Bob

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I love how some guys won't go so far as to clip them off, but leave them too stinkin' short to do anything with in the future. A tad bit more wire goes a long way if you're going to eliminate or add a cable to the box someday. Somehow the 6" rule doesn't seem to apply to the ground in some minds. :(

physis

I've never realy had a problem keeping the ground wires away from the device. Maybe it's my secret trick, I do them first so they're in the back of the box. :)

peter d

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Somehow the 6" rule doesn't seem to apply to the ground in some minds. :(
I agree George. That's one of my pet peeves.

It's one thing inspectors never seem to catch in my area, probably because they don't know any better themselves. :roll:

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

Originally posted by georgestolz:
I love how some guys won't go so far as to clip them off, but leave them too stinkin' short to do anything with in the future. A tad bit more wire goes a long way if you're going to eliminate or add a cable to the box someday. Somehow the 6" rule doesn't seem to apply to the ground in some minds. :(
I don't have my code here so I may not get this right but I thought the code required the free conductor length at the box to permit make up. That would mean that the length need not be that long after make up. In other words I would think that you could only inspect for the required free conductor length at rough in inspection but not on later inspection after the splices and terminations are made up. That does not mean that I think shortening them up is good practice I'm just not sure that it is a code violation.
--
Tom Horne

physis

Without looking it up, I thought it was 3 inches out of the box, no less than 6 total.

peter d

Tom,

The wording of 300.14 gives no "wiggle room" on the 6" rule.

The conductors must be 6" long, and they must extend past the face of the box 3" if the box is less than 8" in any dimension.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I've seen spec's on plans that required an additional 3" over code on all conductors to permit device replacement three times in the future. That practice left an impression on me, now I leave them at least that long in every box.

pierre

"At least (6in.) of free conductor, measured from the point in the box where it emerges from its raceway or CABLE SHEATH," ...

If one were to run the sheath into the box say an inch, technically you would need 7 inches of conductor/cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.