residential service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: residential service

I've done a 200amp service upgrade from 150amps for about 1200$ total cost. But, it's obvious prices vary from EC to EC.

willdalrymple

Mr. Goldstar and Jemsvcs I am concerned with your lack of professionalism. both of you referred to someone who works out of their trunks as someone who is stupid or dangerous. I resent those thoughts.As an Ec who is just starting out money is tight, when your truck breaks down you don't tell the costumer that you cant do the work because your truck is broke, you pack up the CAR go make some money and pay the bills so your family has food to eat and a place to live. having a prejudice against "trunk slammers" is as bad as thinking an electrician with 15 years of experience is perfect. there are many here in Texas who now carry licenses without a grain of common sense among them.

thanks Will Dalrymple Master Electrician

Will, how in the world do you pronounce your last name? Doll' rimple? I agree with your previous post. Times have been tight and I've had to work out of the back of my jeep before. :(

jeff43222

In my state, you can use any kind of vehicle you want when you do electrical work, but it has to be marked on both sides with the name of the contractor as it appear on the license (in lettering at least 3" high). Soon they will be requiring the contractor's license number to be written on the vehicle, too.

I believe that the "trunk slammers" were not being criticized for their lack of a spiffy new truck. Rather, I think the intent of the poster was that a "trunk slammer" is someone who is unlicensed and thus, working illegally.

There's certainly nothing wrong with a licensed electrical contractor working out of his car, if that's what he has to do.

[ September 07, 2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: jeff43222 ]

jfls41

There is an electrical company in my area that has this wording on their advertisments

Panel upgrade for $495.00

resistance

An issue I see in our industry is that most contractors are not business men, but electricians who go out on their own to make a buck and never learn the finer points of running a business.

I've read this many times, yet I haven't seen anyone lending a hand to those who want to learn how to blend-in with the rest of the industry, so they do not have to sell themselves and others within the trade short. Step up, and teach! I'll be looking for help myself--in the coming future-- and will be doing much research before I enter the business, but it want help me to hear about what you are charging, if you can't post reference to how you came to those figures. I tell you this: I like what I'm hearing, and I agree that we should all try being on the same page when it comes to biding. But we want reach that page, unless you are willing to be more straight forward on how the biding, and estimating of cost comes together. Most will be more than willing to stand beside other contractors with bids in hand, but most do not have the education, or experience to do so--so they under bid. Like me, I'm seeking the education, and in time I will get the experience, but as of right now, I haven't learned anything from what I heard, but a lot of numbers.

Hope this helps!

[ April 24, 2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: resistance ]

bradleyelectric

I bid a service change in My area by what I know the market will bare. It is about $1500. for a straight forward change to a 200 amp. fourty space. I've been bidding that for the past couple years and was getting no call backs on it when I first moved my price there, but now more times than not it'll get me the job. not because I'm low man in a bidding market, but because a lot of my work along these lines doesn't get shopped. If I hear of the average joe getting more than that, you can be sure I'll up my price. I'd be more than happy to get $2500 or more for this job, but its not in the market around here. I'm not the cheapest guy in town and have no intentions of being the next guy out of business. My hourly residential service rate is at $85 per hour to the average joe that calls me out of the phone book, internet, or finds a business card on the ground. My residential additions and things along that line I try to make $500 a day. My commercial bidding is based on stanard computer estimating software. If it is to an owner instead of a general, I'll think about how much he may be willing to pay and understand that it may be a less competetive situation and I may be able to get a good bit more. The market around here will not bare anywhere near the $30 an opening for new residential that people on here talk about. There are a couple big guys around here that hire guys at $8 an hour and send them out in mass and bid low to try to suck up all the work. Its a learning process. I learned that it doesn't make sence for me to be busy as I can possibly be have to spend money out of my savings to make my bills. I price as high as the market will bare and I have a growing company.

jakeo

After reading all these replies.....im ready to move!lol
Here in Ohio, we must bring the house up to code when doing a service change. This includes 2 new circuits in the kitchen,gfi's thru-out the kitchen and baths,seperate the washer,furnace and a/c's and whatever else the inspector wants. Changing out the panel is the easy part and i save that for last. I just did one about a month ago where the house was on a slab with a attic that a 3yr old kid might have fit in. I ended up cutting alot of drywall and paying for it to be repaired. Yes i lost my arse becauce the inspector would not allow my bonding jumper on the water meter to be a non continuous piece of wire so i had to run it outdoors under the siding!
Now i get the inspector out in advance b-4 i bid it.
Yes my area has their own code and i think its horrible!

jimwalker

So what your saying is they would rather see an unsafe panel than let you only replace it,without all the other work.Thats flat out crazy.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jimwalker:
So what your saying is they would rather see an unsafe panel than let you only replace it,without all the other work.Thats flat out crazy.
Jim, I think we agree on this one. :(

jakeo

Thats NOT AT ALL what im saying.......
I am saying there is more to do than just changing out the service!

jakeo

Totally missed my point in being that some jurisdictions have differant code requirements so there cant be a set amount on what must be done per service c
change!

electricmanscott

Jake, what we are getting at is the overly burdensome Ohio rules that you laid out in your post. In my opinion the powers that be where you are very shortsighted in their thinking. Requiring a person the bring an existing house up to current code when doing a service upgrade is ridiculous. Many people would either forgo the service upgrade possibly sacrificing a safety issue that the service upgrade would be addressing or just skip the permit process all together.

I think we all got your point about not every job being alike and the problem with just assigning a price.

jakeo

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Jake, what we are getting at is the overly burdensome Ohio rules that you laid out in your post. In my opinion the powers that be where you are very shortsighted in their thinking. Requiring a person the bring an existing house up to current code when doing a service upgrade is ridiculous. Many people would either forgo the service upgrade possibly sacrificing a safety issue that the service upgrade would be addressing or just skip the permit process all together.

I think we all got your point about not every job being alike and the problem with just assigning a price.

[ April 28, 2005, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: jakeo ]

Status
Not open for further replies.