multifamily dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
i agree with another member on this forum. I dont work out of art210 often and I am s little rusty on some matters. i at least know to ask.
Are mulitfamily and dwelling units required to be ran the same way like: 2 appliance, laundry, bathroom.

The bathroom shows to be feeding bedroom and the small appliance has one circuit going to it. The panel is located in closet. They are approved drawings
with city. am i missing something.

hunterhare

Is it the lighting circuit feeding the bathroom from the bedroom? I usually pull the master bed, master closet light (outlet if one), and master bath vanitys and fans on the same circuit but the bath plugs are separate so if it's showing bath room outlets chained with bedrooms then it's way wrong. The panel can be put into a closest if it's not a clothes closet (not by flammable material) and if it meets its requirements (3ft work space and ~30inches left to right workspace). I would just avoid the closest if you can, isnt there a mechanical room with the furnace and water softer/heater, so you can just put it in there. Funny because I put panels in mechanical rooms directly below the washer upstairs (not on purpose, sometimes no other places), so if there's ever a water problem it will run right into the panel and it's not a problem with the inspector or anyone but you can't put near any clothes :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Your 210.52 rules apply to "dwelling units" regardless of single family, multi-family etc.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Is it the lighting circuit feeding the bathroom from the bedroom? I usually pull the master bed, master closet light (outlet if one), and master bath vanitys and fans on the same circuit but the bath plugs are separate so if it's showing bath room outlets chained with bedrooms then it's way wrong. The panel can be put into a closest if it's not a clothes closet (not by flammable material) and if it meets its requirements (3ft work space and ~30inches left to right workspace). I would just avoid the closest if you can, isnt there a mechanical room with the furnace and water softer/heater, so you can just put it in there. Funny because I put panels in mechanical rooms directly below the washer upstairs (not on purpose, sometimes no other places), so if there's ever a water problem it will run right into the panel and it's not a problem with the inspector or anyone but you can't put near any clothes :)

i agree.,. the plans are engineered and approved plans by the city. The entire unit is required to be ruffed in conduit!! i know i gotta do unit by the code. if i leave these things undone i will regret it later... most inspectors put it on contractor to catch these mistakes. on drawing or not. that is why i am looking over prints before i start.

hunterhare

i agree.,. the plans are engineered and approved plans by the city. The entire unit is required to be ruffed in conduit!! i know i gotta do unit by the code. if i leave these things undone i will regret it later... most inspectors put it on contractor to catch these mistakes. on drawing or not. that is why i am looking over prints before i start.
that's wild, I guess you are in chicago? (I think) someone told me he did houses in conduit... just baffles me, I would need truck loads of couplings to conduit a house :p

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
that's wild, I guess you are in chicago? (I think) someone told me he did houses in conduit... just baffles me, I would need truck loads of couplings to conduit a house :p
You really don't need that many couplings once you learn how to do it. Chicago and many of the suburbs around there required EMT for dwelling units.

I did a recent inspection because the our inspector was on vacation and the contractor used EMT, even though our code would have permitted NM. I asked the contractor why, and he told me his guys would have no idea how to do a dwelling unit in NM as they only use EMT because most of their work is in the Chicago area.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I always assumed they framed the houses differently to accommodate emt. I have done some homes where I seriously doubt you could pipe the entire home.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor

Nah, it's not hard to get 1/2" through the studs. I just drill from the outside of the house with a long drill bit and shove it through :)

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Maybe. It depends on how much structual damage I can get away with.:D

You can actually remove a lot of material without reducing structural integrity.

Here's a little IBC:

• Holes in bearing wall (exterior and interior walls that bear the weight of the roof and/or other stories above) may not exceed 40 percent of the width of the stud.
  • Notches in bearing wall may not exceed 25 percent of the stud's width.
  • Holes in non-bearing walls can't exceed 60 percent of their width.
  • Notches in non-bearing walls can't exceed 40 percent of their width.
  • The edge of a hole must be at least 5/8 in. from the edge of a stud.

There's an exception for plumbing walls, which doesn't apply to conduit.

kwired

Electron manager
When plumbers used to exclusively run copper tubing they used to have some of same issues.

They still have similar issues with drain piping though regardless of what type of piping it is, but in general seem to run more of that in between floors then they do horizontally in the walls.

You probably wouldn't run EMT around a corner in walls in most cases - it would just be easier to run it up/down through floor/ceiling and then enter the adjacent wall. I even do that with NM cable at times just because it is not always easy to drill and get around some corners.

An exterior wall that is loaded with windows - has so much wood framing it is a job to drill horizontally - may be easier to run EMT or even cable methods in the floor and just a single pop-up to a receptacle under those windows.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
??
(I see restrictions where used for flexibility after installation but none for fishing. Am I misreading ?)
I don't have a copy of the Chicago code. It was my understanding that you could use some flexible wiring methods for fishing a circuit in a wall in an existing building.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
So Chicago requires EMT even in Single family residents?

So is there any less fires in these EMT wired homes?

Status
Not open for further replies.