Modular Home Irritating Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richterfan

I am looking at a home that is a modular that's partially finished. I've noticed a few things wrong that maybe you can help me with.

1)They say their standard switch height is 56" to center ----- irritating!
2) They drilled holes in wood studs then places a 3" piece of emt in the hole as a sleeve and has no bushing on either end and they say it meets code. I can see from the movement of the modular is already cutting into the RX.
3) They have the 2 upper boxes where all the wires come down. I'd say it's like 5-3wires and 4-2 wires and they put in a 2" PVC sleeve to run them all down to the basement.

This is was inspected and all were to have met code. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm reading the code wrong. I know the 56" is not a code issue but it's definitely not standard.

jbelectric777

modulars

modulars

modular homes are inspected by an inspector at the plant where it's made. It's a National Accreditation but none the less it probably passed inspection at the factory before shipping. If you hire an electrical contractor to put the service on it then have him/her check the romex cables that were damaged, you may have a case if you consult with a lawyer to recover damages. Article 550 covers mobile homes and manufactured homes in the NEC. You may want to read that article and whats said about sleeves, if not there go to EMT (bushings required) Im almost positive they need a bushing but I don't have a book in front of me. Maybe you'll be able to recover damages. I'd be glad to look for you tomorrow because Im leaving right now. But other forum members may come on and answer it for you. Jim We as wiremen always bushing metal and PVC because even PVC can damage cables and single conductors, at least I do anyway. Where is this?

GerryB

I'm doing a modular right know, also in Ct. This one was made in upstate NY. I haven't seen any emt sleeves, just the 2' pvc with the bundles of wire. No fire caulk in those sleeves, I think that would make them not meet code because of de-rating. They sent all arc fault breakers even though we only require them for the bedrooms, I'll see how that works out. I have found some mis labeling, ie: two master bed cables, some others that don't match their panel schedule, doesn't look to bad but of course they didn't return my call about questions. I'll have to check the switch heights, 56" sounds awfully high. Good Luck with yours.

Richterfan

Gary let me know if yours measures high or not. Also I've noticed the metal sleeves through out every drilled hole in the studs. They sent all arc faults in this one as well.

mgookin

Those modulars might fall under the NEC and they might not. Every state is not the same. They may even fall under HUD (federal regulations).

As a general principle, when a modular building is set and an EC comes along to provide service, just that service is local AHJ construction and must meet the NEC; the rest of the building is subject to whatever regulations applied to the modular building.

If you guys are doing new construction, there should be a GC (or licensed mobile building installer) who should have a permit. Whatever agency issued that permit should be able to tell you what codes apply to what parts of the project.

kwired

Electron manager
Crossing state lines sometimes presents inspection issues with mobile/manufactured homes.

I may be wrong but I don't think you will find a bushing requirement in the NEC for "sleeves". You may find requirements that the edges should be smooth, rounded, etc. to minimize cable damage but no direct requirement to install separate "bushing" devices.

david

modular homes are inspected by an inspector at the plant where it's made. ..................... Article 550 covers mobile homes and manufactured homes in the NEC. You may want to read that article and whats said about sleeves, if not there go to EMT (bushings required) Im almost positive they need a bushing but I don't have a book in front of me. .......................... Where is this?

It was made in PA and shipped to CT.

ARTICLE 545 Manufactured Buildings:

what is commonly referred to as modular housing, in PA it would be classified as Industrialized Housing though most of the public calls it modular housing like every where else, if you contact Mr. Stoltzfus he may be able to answer some of your concerns or direct you to the right person in your state

Smart $

Esteemed Member
ARTICLE 545 Manufactured Buildings:

what is commonly referred to as modular housing, in PA it would be classified as Industrialized Housing though most of the public calls it modular housing like every where else, if you contact Mr. Stoltzfus he may be able to answer some of your concerns or direct you to the right person in your state
AFAIK, "modular homes" are covered in the NEC under Article 550 as manufactured homes.

david

AFAIK, "modular homes" are covered in the NEC under Article 550 as manufactured homes.

(550.2
Manufactured Home. A structure, ………………………and that is built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a dwelling.
Mobile Home. A factory-assembled …………………..are built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a ………………………………………)

Manufactured homes are built with a permanent chassis. The chassis is not to be removed from manufactured homes . The manufactured home chassis system is left in tacked even when placed on a permanent foundation

(545.2 Manufactured Building. Any building that is of closed construction and is made or assembled in manufacturing facilities on or off the building site for installation, or for assembly and installation on the building site, other than manufactured homes, mobile homes, park trailers, or recreational vehicles.)

The manufactured building can arrive on site with a chassis system they are not manufactured as mobile
And the chassis system is removed upon setting them on a permanent foundation.

Last edited:

david

(550.2
Manufactured Home. A structure, ………………………and that is built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a dwelling.
Mobile Home. A factory-assembled …………………..are built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a ………………………………………)

Manufactured homes are built with a permanent chassis. The chassis is not to be removed from manufactured homes . The manufactured home chassis system is left in tacked even when placed on a permanent foundation

(545.2 Manufactured Building. Any building that is of closed construction and is made or assembled in manufacturing facilities on or off the building site for installation, or for assembly and installation on the building site, other than manufactured homes, mobile homes, park trailers, or recreational vehicles.)

The manufactured building can arrive on site with a chassis system they are not manufactured as mobile
And the chassis system is removed upon setting them on a permanent foundation.

I think the other main difference is modular homes are not HUD at least on the federal level.

Each state independently regulate modular homes I believe they are not regulated under the fair housing standard a state could refuse a modular home from another state well at least until it is evaluated under it own state regulations.

Its difficult for the states to independently regulate manufactured homes. They have to follow federal guidelines in there regulations. When it comes to manufactured homes. Kind of the whole idea of fair (affordable) housing on the federal leval

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I think the other main difference is modular homes are not HUD at least on the federal level.

Each state independently regulate modular homes I believe they are not regulated under the fair housing standard a state could refuse a modular home from another state well at least until it is evaluated under it own state regulations.

Its difficult for the states to independently regulate manufactured homes. They have to follow federal guidelines in there regulations. When it comes to manufactured homes. Kind of the whole idea of fair (affordable) housing on the federal leval
Here's a brief statement by HUD on the matter...
What is the difference between manufactured and modular homes?Manufactured homes are constructed according to a code administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD Code). The HUD Code, unlike conventional building codes, requires manufactured homes to be constructed on a permanent chassis. Modular homes are constructed to the same state, local or regional building codes as site-built homes. Other types of systems-built homes include panelized wall systems, log homes, structural insulated panels, and insulating concrete forms.

This interpretation is fine by me... but all the so-called modular homes around here are built on a permanent chassis, i.e. it remains whether the assembly is set on a permanent foundation or not. The only thing removed are the axles and transport hitch frame.

If what the OP has is truly a modular home, then it is subject to all local AHJ Codes.

david

Here's a brief statement by HUD on the matter...

This interpretation is fine by me... but all the so-called modular homes around here are built on a permanent chassis, i.e. it remains whether the assembly is set on a permanent foundation or not. The only thing removed are the axles and transport hitch frame.

If what the OP has is truly a modular home, then it is subject to all local AHJ Codes.

in this state industrialized housing (modular homes) are treated a lot like manufactured homes as far as local AHJ is concerned.They are still inspected by state oversight at the manufactures facility. The state requires a manufactures representative (certification) of the building being assembled on site.

The local authority has jurisdiction of site prep foundations and utility connections and any additions during assembly that are stick built

kwired

Electron manager
in this state industrialized housing (modular homes) are treated a lot like manufactured homes as far as local AHJ is concerned.They are still inspected by state oversight at the manufactures facility. The state requires a manufactures representative (certification) of the building being assembled on site.

The local authority has jurisdiction of site prep foundations and utility connections and any additions during assembly that are stick built

I believe that is how it works here. I almost took a job at a plant in this area that does manufacture homes, but I suppose they technically are not mobile or manufactured homes per NEC or other codes. What they build there is not on a permanent chassis, must be set on a permanent foundation and is not all that much different then an on site stick build home.

I do know they don't have a state inspector look at every home built, but I think the state inspector does come visit them once in a while.

If someone buys one of these homes all I ever do as an EC is connect the service to a panel that they often have already wired up and hanging in the floor joists. Need to unsecure it swing it down and mount on a basement wall (in most cases), then figure out how to secure all the excess cable that may be there:roll:

I often have to run wiring for basement, central heating/cooling and even a garage if they attach one, but main living space is already wired and only thing inspector checks is what I installed new on site. The main body of the home is supposedly approved whether an inspector actually looked at it in the plant or not.

user 100

I am looking at a home that is a modular that's partially finished. I've noticed a few things wrong that maybe you can help me with.

1)They say their standard switch height is 56" to center ----- irritating!
2) They drilled holes in wood studs then places a 3" piece of emt in the hole as a sleeve and has no bushing on either end and they say it meets code. I can see from the movement of the modular is already cutting into the RX.
3) They have the 2 upper boxes where all the wires come down. I'd say it's like 5-3wires and 4-2 wires and they put in a 2" PVC sleeve to run them all down to the basement.

This is was inspected and all were to have met code. Am I missing something? Maybe I'm reading the code wrong. I know the 56" is not a code issue but it's definitely not standard.

I agree with the others that ahj has ultimate say on modular housing. As for the things you saw, oddball and non standard is the rule with a lot of this pre-built housing: walls framed with weird sized lumber, scd's with snap on plates, hidden tyco kits, and a lot of cable you made need to get to is out of reach-buried in insulation behind (usually) cheesy wall covering that isn't exactly remodel friendly and easily replaced- a lot of gcs specialize in repairing wall damage in these things and charge an arm and leg to do so and for good reason...

Another thing to consider is if this was a customization- that may explain the goofy switch height.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I believe that is how it works here. I almost took a job at a plant in this area that does manufacture homes, but I suppose they technically are not mobile or manufactured homes per NEC or other codes. What they build there is not on a permanent chassis, must be set on a permanent foundation and is not all that much different then an on site stick build home.

I do know they don't have a state inspector look at every home built, but I think the state inspector does come visit them once in a while.

If someone buys one of these homes all I ever do as an EC is connect the service to a panel that they often have already wired up and hanging in the floor joists. Need to unsecure it swing it down and mount on a basement wall (in most cases), then figure out how to secure all the excess cable that may be there:roll:

I often have to run wiring for basement, central heating/cooling and even a garage if they attach one, but main living space is already wired and only thing inspector checks is what I installed new on site. The main body of the home is supposedly approved whether an inspector actually looked at it in the plant or not.
Our home is one of these and they are supposed to meet NEC requirements. ours did not have the newer AFCIs at the time so I complained. Should have kept my mouth shut.

GerryB

Gary let me know if yours measures high or not. Also I've noticed the metal sleeves through out every drilled hole in the studs. They sent all arc faults in this one as well.
The switches is this home are standard, I didn't measure but they look like 48" to the top. All the circuits have checked out ok so far. I was wondering what you mean by metal sleeves in studs, I haven't seen anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.