Modular Home Irritating Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The switches is this home are standard, I didn't measure but they look like 48" to the top. All the circuits have checked out ok so far. I was wondering what you mean by metal sleeves in studs, I haven't seen anything like that.
You drill a hole in the stud large enough to put a short piece of EMT in.
Why you would do that IDK.
Given the flimsiness of the wall structure, possibly it is to prevent damage to the stud when pulling wires. :)

user 100

You drill a hole in the stud large enough to put a short piece of EMT in.
Why you would do that IDK.
Given the flimsiness of the wall structure, possibly it is to prevent damage to the stud when pulling wires. :)

A lot of times you will see this type of creativity in manufactured housing-probably someone who designed the electrical for the "building", either misinterpreted the code regarding protection from physical damage or they genuinely believe that it was a good idea, thinking that the nm's jackets were being "protected" from chafing against the rough wood grains/splinters from the bored holes or something.:p

GerryB

This one I'm doing I haven't seen a stud,it's all rocked. I did see some switches sticking out of a box and they were all backstabbed. I'll have to check and see how they did the receptacles. But the only exposed areas I have are the basement ceiling joists and the attic.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I suspect these EMT sleeves are a nail/fastener protection technique similar to a nail plate.

If you have a nominal 4" stud at 3.5" actual and clearance required at 1-1/4" only leaves 1" while 1/2" EMT requires a 3/4" hole. With the EMT sleeve you can be closer than 1-1/4" to the edge. See 300.4(A)(1) Exception No. 1.

GerryB

I suspect these EMT sleeves are a nail/fastener protection technique similar to a nail plate.

If you have a nominal 4" stud at 3.5" actual and clearance required at 1-1/4" only leaves 1" while 1/2" EMT requires a 3/4" hole. With the EMT sleeve you can be closer than 1-1/4" to the edge. See 300.4(A)(1) Exception No. 1.
I don't think that is what they do, it would be pretty time consuming and the emt would fall out of the hole pulling wire. Why not just use nail plates. Maybe the OP will clarify what those emt sleeves are.

user 100

I don't think that is what they do, it would be pretty time consuming and the emt would fall out of the hole pulling wire. Why not just use nail plates. Maybe the OP will clarify what those emt sleeves are.

I had thought about the emt being used as a nail guard also, but the problem with that is these buildings are usually spec'd out pretty well and everything is mostly done with an eye on $$$. It would be cheaper and less trouble just to skip the emt altogether and plate where needed, but you can never tell sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.