Inspector's responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Inspector's responsibility

Doesn't anybody use locating equipment, or use a locating agency before they just sink a blade into unknown territory?

Roger

G

The clients mentioned did use locating equipment; historical documents & drawings; and their best judgment. They missed.

cs409

for Ryan,,,,because i said so LOL.... your not suppose to be over here reading my post anyway >>>> how was your weekend? enough suds?

for my post,,,,because in general most problems with inspectors come from not having enough experience in the field they inspect!!! there are the exception.... just think about this Ryan,,,,how would you feel if the Medical Doctors in your area where inspected to see if they where doing it to standards set my the Gov. and Medical profession and this inspector was just someone that happens to be a non Doctor but they are doing the inspection!! get my point? but as i stated, there are the exceptions...i feel that Ryan is one of these also.....Trust me Ryan,,,we read about the inspectors am talking about on these Forums all the time!

sandsnow

Originally posted by iwire:
Larry do you have a code amendment that you can cite for this 3" below grade that you require.

If not you can only ask for it you can not demand it.
Bob you absolutely right. I haven't run into anyone who thinks this is an unreasonable request after explaining it.

ekbrunn

Long ago, as a helper, I witnessed an imspector tell the electrician the largest wire in a circuit HAD to be closest to the breaker. We had run a #12 from the CB to an outdoor J-box, then ran #10 in UF cable to a well pump. The electrician argued....successfully. I spent a lot of time trying to understand the logic of the inspector. :confused:

I hope it made me a better electrical professional.

Perhaps the best solution for the original poster's inspector to do was to mark or tag the cable as a 20 amp circuit only, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

explorer

I wouldn't know anything about throughing weight around, because I don't do it. I also don't know everything about the NEC as some on this forum seem to think they do. I was meerly stating my opinion from this side of the fence. If you choose to be a bare bones minimum NEC electrician that is your business. I choose to be a professional electrician and so I make suggestions to electricians and homeowners as most inspectors do. For those of you who understand this, my hat is off to you. For those few who don't , well maybe someday we will all be as smart as you are.

State Electrical Inspector
John Cosmo

ryan_618

I am an inspector myself, and I can tell you that if any inspector pulled this kind of nonsense on a job I installed, I would go over his head faster than you can beleive.

apauling

while i agree with all the electrician's comments pertaining to the wire size and the inspector being wrong, i think that the post where the service feeders were in the slab brought up a different point. Service cables are not to feed through intervening buildings and it is considered "IN" the building if in the slab. Needs to be under the slab and i don't have my book to look at for the depth.

paul

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Paul:

230.6 states that conductors under 2" of concrete are considered outside the building even if they are "in" the slab :)

volt101

Just wondering how many of you would go in a home that the owner has been complaining about tripping breakers, see #12 on a 15, and simply change the breaker to a 20 without checking out the whole circuit's integrity.

bphgravity

An electrician that would do that has no business performing work without supervision and needs better training. :eek:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I second Bryans remarks, and IMO anyone doing this would not be an "Electrician".

Roger

[ May 27, 2004, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Along the same perverted train of thought is a 20 amp circuit tripping put it on a 50 amp breaker it will clear.Eventually :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.