Inspector says my zigzagged vanity wires have to be in a box

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I think inspectors go through continuing Ed just like we do for our license, and I think they get taught to focus on certain things, and like our classes, the teacher may not be qualified, and put some of these crazy ideas in their heads.
Here if the teacher is not qualified I would think chances are the course is not likely to get approved as one that qualifies for the CEU credits.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Here if the teacher is not qualified I would think chances are the course is not likely to get approved as one that qualifies for the CEU credits.
I had a CEU course where the teacher was touting running 3/0 to a residential stove and it would pay for itself in a couple of years from the lost power from voltage drop...........The course I take now, the instructor is on the CMP, very knowledgeable, and I enjoy taking his classes.

Frank Licata

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On a rough-in inspection. The Inspector says the zigzagged wires for the vanity lights. All stub outs such as wires stubbed down for flourescent lights.

He says all those wires have to be in a box for rough-in inspection to pass...

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. How about y'all? Did I miss something in the last 30 years of doing it like that ?
Leave the switchleg in another fixture. Then add the vanity zig-zag after rough inspections (taped-off, dead). Problem solved.

Buck Parrish

Leave the switchleg in another fixture. Then add the vanity zig-zag after rough inspections (taped-off, dead). Problem solved.
Yeah I know now. Thanks

Any body else got any thing to say about inspectors calling something that is not in the code book and not a city / county ordinance? I'll print this thread out in the morning and give it to him.
Thanks for the replies...

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Yeah I know now. Thanks

Any body else got any thing to say about inspectors calling something that is not in the code book and not a city / county ordinance? I'll print this thread out in the morning and give it to him.
Show him this new product from Madison (Now Southwire). This will make his head spin. https://www.google.com/search?q=southwire+mwt1&sxsrf=ALeKk003cdAGyYGLubcoOQHF5em0XSEm0Q:1619396047639&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=p0KtvJntANeSxM%2C_gSRfgeCSGYhnM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRqQPRNj0RBzvRXyAeOaOYW-UMOuA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiVwq2x0JrwAhVCIDQIHdq-BGcQ9QF6BAgOEAE&biw=2197&bih=943#imgrc=p0KtvJntANeSxM

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah I know now. Thanks

Yes, what is the point of having code books and/or copies of local AHJ rules if inspector makes his own rules?

Frank Licata

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah I know now. Thanks

We never heard of a city/county ordinance electric code (especially with this minor item), as typically it's the National Electric Code that applies along with any state amendments to the NEC.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yeah I know now. Thanks

Call your state congressman, senator and trades group. This got so bad in Oregon they had to pass a law called 'cite it write it'.
It requires inspectors to provide a written memo with an exact reference to the applicable code section.
Its a great law.

So here they cant say 'boxes not installed'
they would have to cite 300.15 'a box or or conduit body shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point etc..' and metal box grounding 314.4.
Typically they would say "agency policy XYZ to see all the equipment grounds made up and tested before cover is approved."
So to get passed you'd have to provide some temp boxes or splices for a test, and perhaps some specs on the light fixture that its listed for that many conductors at that temp rating, and reassurance that the inspector will be able to access the box on the final.

Buck Parrish

Call your state congressman, senator and trades group. This got so bad in Oregon they had to pass a law called 'cite it write it'.
It requires inspectors to provide a written memo with an exact reference to the applicable code section.
Its a great law.

they would have to cite 300.15 'a box or or conduit body shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point etc..' and metal box grounding 314.4.
Typically they would say "agency policy XYZ to see all the equipment grounds made up and tested before cover is approved."
So to get passed you'd have to provide some temp boxes or splices for a test, and perhaps some specs on the light fixture that its listed for that many conductors at that temp rating, and reassurance that the inspector will be able to access the box on the final.

That's great I'll print that out . Maybe I'll make a file. .

Buck Parrish

This state does not have a state electrical license. So I'm not sure where you would submit a complaint. On the city of Tippecanoe website it has him listed as Assistant Building Commissioner. (I'm not sure what that means other then inspector.}
That is an area that is growing right now, So I'm pretty sure they're busy.

kwired

Electron manager
Its a great law.

99 percent of the time I have no idea at rough in what fixture will be used, part of reason to just leave excess cable like OP is doing is for covering the possibilities of what might be selected.

Buck Parrish

99 percent of the time I have no idea at rough in what fixture will be used, part of reason to just leave excess cable like OP is doing is for covering the possibilities of what might be selected.
Exactly, Kitchen Islands turn into peninsulas and vice a versa. You and I didn't make these methods. Tradesmen have been doing it like that for 75 years or so, That is stated in the National Electrical Code NEC 110.12

kwired

Electron manager
Exactly, Kitchen Islands turn into peninsulas and vice a versa. You and I didn't make these methods. Tradesmen have been doing it like that for 75 years or so, That is stated in the National Electrical Code NEC 110.12
OK, why is this not neat or workman like?

And the old debate on this is what is neat or workman like? NEC certainly doesn't define what it is or what it isn't.

kwired

Electron manager
OK, why is this not neat or workman like?

And the old debate on this is what is neat or workman like? NEC certainly doesn't define what it is or what it isn't.
Add: If I ever have an inspector cite 110.12 I will likely be going to prison for a very long time for what I will likely do to him. :poop:

Buck Parrish

Add: If I ever have an inspector cite 110.12 I will likely be going to prison for a very long time for what I will likely do to him. :poop:
Yes, I hear ya... :) That was my argument , not his.
My installation was in a tradesman like manner. He has no idea what that even means.
Don't forget as I said this is a jurisdiction that allows wires to be stapled side by side going parallel on a a 2x4.
Before I started the house in this jurisdiction , I called to see what NEC code they are on. They said 2009 :unsure: yikes....
But I am really confident in my work, because I follow the the NEC.
INDIANA you really need a state license !

Status
Not open for further replies.