Inspector says my zigzagged vanity wires have to be in a box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

On a rough-in inspection. The Inspector says the zigzagged wires for the vanity lights. All stub outs such as wires stubbed down for flourescent lights.

He says all those wires have to be in a box for rough-in inspection to pass...

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. How about y'all? Did I miss something in the last 30 years of doing it like that ?

480sparky

Slack NM cable run between studs for the future installation of a box for a light. Will be covered up by sheetrock, then an old-work box installed at trim.

What I would do is slap a box up, stuff the end in, let the inspector pass it, then pull the box off the stud and zigzag it back to where you want it.

Buck Parrish

Slack NM cable run between studs for the future installation of a box for a light. Will be covered up by sheetrock, then an old-work box installed at trim.

What I would do is slap a box up, stuff the end in, let the inspector pass it, then pull the box off the stud and zigzag it back to where you want it.

Yeah, but it's the principal. The GC thinks I done something wrong. He says they're tough here. I told the GC that's not tough , that's stupid... they're wrong, I'm right...
What about the garage flourescents? Box there too

480sparky

If they want stupid, give 'em stupid. Don't put the box over the vanity location. Put it 6-8 feet away, on another wall. When you pass inspection, reroute it to your intended spot and carry on.

Then when you pass the final, ask the inspector about the box he passed that's no longer there.

Better yet, just ask for a Code reference.

My next question would be... what about rough-ins where the homeruns aren't even landed in the panel?

Yet another example of why there should not be government electrical inspections. Have it be private third party like in New York and other states. If you get a dumb electrical inspector you can just use another company.
Better yet, not even have any mandated electrical inspections, let the customer decide if they want a third-party underwriter then fine but let me be a professional and do my job and be trusted, and not have some idiot who doesn't know nearly as much as me bark out orders.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
My next question would be... what about rough-ins where the homeruns aren't even landed in the panel?
Wouldn't pass here that I know of. Never tried it, as usually I am going for Power On inspection at the same time to get the power company to make it live. Grounds have to be made up in all boxes. But, boxes not required for lamps.....ZIg-zag, curled, etc OK. (y)

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I have run into this before when I had more than one 14/2 tailed out at a location, never with a single tail out or equipment though.
I provided a fixture schedule that detailed the bath vanity and undercab fixtures were also listed as junction boxes.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Kansas City, Mo has required that for at least 25 years, and other municipalities in the area have followed their lead. Doesn't have to be mounted, just on the ends of the wires.

I don't stub any vanity wires. I tell them to get me exact center, and I will get a box there.

Hoestly, it's been years since I've seen a vanity light with a solid back and k.o. for NM connector. And the ones people buy around here won't sit flat against the drywall if it's mounted on a cut-in box.

480sparky

So.... whaddaya do when there's going to be a kitchen island? Stick the wire up through the floor and put a *(#$ box on it? What about peninsulas as well?

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
So.... whaddaya do when there's going to be a kitchen island? Stick the wire up through the floor and put a *(#$ box on it? What about peninsulas as well?
Or a floor box.
One of my coworkers failed a rough in wanting the wire terminated in a box and a blank labeled for its purpose.
Can't stand it!

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I can certainly see requiring a box for vanity light. I've seen way too many that are stubbed through the sheetrock, then a swivel bracket mounted with Zip-its.

If I was an inspector, I would tell people that I'm not buying that nonsense. I would want to see a rough in box fixed in place or I wouldn't pass it

Status
Not open for further replies.