california 3-way

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: california 3-way

Type in "three way switches" and hit go. Theres a lot of information available.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Ronald,

Have fun with it. I really appreciate the high quality of your graphics.

ronaldrc

Thanks Al.

I should have listened to Bennie he said fourways wouldn't work.I'll look over your circuit again later thanks.

Ronald :)

ronaldrc

Al I looked over your diagram the line 1 feed wire feeding the barn side instead of the house side is the only differents that I see and that would add one conductor between the house and barn and just reverse what my is doing.The recpt. and house light would be on and the barn light off.

Correction in my wording line 1 not feeding the barn side but feeding oposite side of the fourway so there wouldn't be an extra wire.

[ September 23, 2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: ronaldrc ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Ronald,

Think of it this way, the house threeway is in a switch box, and the house fourway is in another switch box. The 14-2 branch circuit feed has to go to the switch box with the fourway, and the 14-2 running to the house light has to come from the fourway switch box also.

Four wires run between the house and the barn.

The light at the house and the light at the barn go on and off at the same time.

A 14-3 runs between the fourway switch box and the house threeway switch box. No other cables enter the house threeway switch box other than the 14-3.

Of the four wires running from house to barn, </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">One is the neutral connected to the 14-2 branch circuit feed neutral in the fourway switchbox.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">One is the Hot (black) and is connected to the fourway as a traveller and is also spliced to the Hot (black) in the branch circuit 14-2.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">One is the other traveller connected to the fourway and also spliced to the switched leg that is the black to the light at the house -- at the other end of this wire that goes to the barn is the barn threeway and a splice that connects to the barn light switch leg.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">One conductor is connected from threeway common to threeway common. No other connection is made to this wire.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

ronaldrc

Hello Al

Got your diagram and you're right the way you have it drawn it will work.Sent you an E-mail let me no if you didn't get it.

delfa

The last California 3-way I ran across was between a house and a barn. After the homeowner tried to replace the 3-ways himself, he called me. Three single wires ran through the air between the house and barn. After 3 hours of scratching my head I got it back to the way it was originally wired. The receptacle in the barn stayed hot all the time. Two 3-way switches, one in the house and one in the barn. The polarity through the lamp socket would reverse every time you flipped a switch.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Delfa: The set up you are referring to is a neutral switching 3/way. Maybe Ronald will post that diagram.

Ronald: Super graphics.

[ September 24, 2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: bennie ]

ronaldrc

Thanks Bennie

Is this it Delfa this known as the Chicago threeway there are other names for it.

:)

[ September 28, 2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: ronaldrc ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

You can click on Ronalds "HOME" page for an index of his diagrams.

Roger

delfa

Thanks Ronald, that diagram would have saved me a lot of time!! Is that why Chicago burnt down??

G

OK, now I'm back on board. That one shows the hot shell. I too thank you for that drawing! You don't happen to have the St. Louis 4-way do you? That's supposed to be a funny!

bennie

Esteemed Member

The St. Louis 4/way is a porcelain pull chain fixture with 4 strings attached.

ronaldrc

My Tn. fourway just uses 3 strings.

I think the Chicago and Saint Louis are the same except the fourway turns around the other direction ain't sure?

Maybe that is why Chicago burned never put those together.

Ronald :D

Status
Not open for further replies.