Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: california 3-way

Wayne,
noxx did not say that the screw shell is hot in the 3 way shown on the drawing above his post. He said it would be hot in the 3 way ciruit that I described in my post. Go to the link in Roger's post of 9/20 at 10:12 am. The screw shell is the female threads on the socket that the light bulb screws into.
Don

ronaldrc

Bennie I think a fourway would work if you put it between the light return and the hot?

And don't forget about our barbed fence and pipe wire we can always work them in. :D

Ronald

[ September 22, 2003, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: ronaldrc ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Bennie,

I like the name Travelling Bus Threeway. Very clear. It's the first time I've heard it.

Here, consider this fourway setup of the travelling bus.
img33.jpg

bennie

Esteemed Member

Very good Al and Ronald. This is an interesting circuit.

The installation was to allow the use of two, 2 conductor cables between the switches and be able to extend the circuit to another room.

One cable was the line and neutral. The other was to provide the switching.

al hildenbrand

Occupation

My Mother's garage has the very setup you describe, Bennie. Her house was built in 1953.

Of course, today's 300.3(B) prohibits the use of two two conductor cables to create this. If an NM cable is used it has to be a four conductor plus ground.

[ September 22, 2003, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: al hildenbrand ]

noxx

That's correct Don, Roger's link is the switching arrangement I was describing as a "Coast" 3way, apparently the slang varies to include all manner of oddball switching.

A couple of the drawings that have popped up here would not have occurred to me tho, good to have them on my "things to look for" list.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Al,
Of course, today's 300.3(B) prohibits the use of two two conductor cables to create this. If an NM cable is used it has to be a four conductor plus ground.
I believe that 300.3(B)(3) would permitt that installation using 2 conductor NM as long as you comply with 300.20 for the box entries.
Don

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Hmmmm. . .interesting! (As scales fall from eyes) Thanks, Don.

[ September 23, 2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: al hildenbrand ]

roger willis

Trace the circuit out and you will see why. When you have the 4-way switches in a one position and the lights are on, turn the lights off with the 4-way on the right and then try to turn the lights back on with the 4-way on the left.

roger willis

Al, I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Some of you others help us out and see if you see the samething I'm seeing.

Roger

roger willis

Al, to explain it a little better. Leave the 3-way switches in the position that you have them in now. With the 4-way on the left, have it in the cross connect position. With the 4-way on the right, put it in the straight thru position and the lights are on. Turn the lights off with the 4-way on the right. Now try to turn the lights back on with the 4-way on the left.

Roger

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Roger,

When the right fourway switches the lights off, the unswitched hot conductor (on a traveller between fourways) is connected to the right threeway common. The left fourway is also connecting the unswitched hot to the left common. So when the left fourway is switched from crossconnect to straight through, the energized traveller between the left threeway and the left fourway is connected to the "switch leg traveller" between the fourways.

Clear as mud. . .but accurate, I think.

In my mind, this is the really fun, but odd thing about this switch loop. . .on several combination of switch settings the current has to do a looooonngg loop de loop.

Heh! Should have left well enough alone. Re-Editted to follow your exact statement

[ September 23, 2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: al hildenbrand ]

roger willis

Ok Al, I see it, I was wrong as usual. Yes, that is quite a loop-te-loop. I just missed seeing it.
Sorry about that.

Roger

ronaldrc

I planted the seed that a fourway would work if inserted between the hot and the light return on this traveling bus switch. Well Roger I think this is the same circuit that Al drew and if so you are right it won't work.

I inserted 1 fourway in and it screwed the whole thing up. Follow the orange to get a complete circuit.Dam its getting hard to type with all these fingers missing.

:eek:

[ September 23, 2003, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: ronaldrc ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Ronald,

I believe that if you move L1 to the black traveller on the barn side of the fourway, it will work.

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Also,

The black condutor attached to the light at the house needs to be connected at the fourway to the orange wire on the barn side of the fourway.

ronaldrc

Al I'll try that after while when I said my layout would work it was just a huch I didn't try it. Your circuit might be different I have looked at it good yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.