230 volt hand held power tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Keveney

I work for a European machinery manufacturer. We import a hand held power tool which runs on 230 volt 1 ph current.

I have heard that in a place of business, that it is not legal to operate a hand held power tool which runs on voltage greater than 125 volt.

Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your advice on this topic.

TIM

iwire

Staff member
In one of our dwelling units that could be a code violation.

In a business it would be allowed but your potential customers won't have outlets to supply these tools so I think that will kill your sales.

peter d

I work for a European machinery manufacturer. We import a hand held power tool which runs on 230 volt 1 ph current.

I have heard that in a place of business, that it is not legal to operate a hand held power tool which runs on voltage greater than 125 volt.

Is this true?

TIM

Why would you be importing 230 volt tools when all the world's major tool manufacturers make 120 volt versions of their tools? It's not like they aren't aware of the North American market. It sounds like your company needs to go back to the drawing board. Unless these European tools aren't the traditional power tools I'm thinking of (Bosch, Metabo, Festool, etc)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I have heard that in a place of business, that it is not legal to operate a hand held power tool which runs on voltage greater than 125 volt

Is this true?

TIM

I don't believe that to be true.

They might have to install some 230V outlets, but that is not illegal.

What might be a problem is that our 230V is center tap grounded, rather than one of the lines being grounded.

fmtjfw

Semi-random thoughts

Semi-random thoughts

Typically hand-held, corded tools use ac/dc rated motors because they have good stall characteristics. It is unlikely that the frequency difference would matter, since the current is commutated at a frequency unrelated to line Hz anyway.

If you just intend to sell them to "households" probably anything goes. [Appliances that say "for household use only" are so labelled because they typically do not meet the requirements for use in a place of business.] If you intend to sell them to the construction industry, you may a problem as all temporary circuits must be GFCI-protected and this is usually done with GFCI-receptacles which normally don't come in 240V. Further 240V extension cords are rare. And finally CE listings are not sufficient.

[Doesn't the UK use 120V, center-grounded (like our technical circuits) for construction.]

As to whether or not there is an identified neutral depends on the country and plug -- NO DE; YES UK, FR: others ??

I think most corded hand-held power tools in the US are now double insulated. (2 wire, unpolarized plugs)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You may also have an issue with frequency (50hz vs. 60hz)
Most hand-held power tools will have "Universal" motors, which are AC/DC but actually more DC that you can apply AC to. So they are not going to be frequency sensitive.

It's the 230V only that will be the market killer. As others have said, they need to go back to the drawing board if they want to sell them here. Virtually ALL other portable power tool suppliers have done that.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
and just how could that possibly be enforced for a portable tool?

By rejecting the receptacle unless the usage is specified at inspection? They do not need to know whether you will be using a power tool
Not directly applicable to a residential construction site though, IMHO.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
By rejecting the receptacle unless the usage is specified at inspection? They do not need to know whether you will be using a power tool
Not directly applicable to a residential construction site though, IMHO.
Yep.

I have a "storage shed" in my back yard that I used for years as my office in order to get away from the wife and kids during the work day. In order to put it up w/o a permit, I can't have electrical run out to it <wink wink>. So what I did was to put a 30A 230V receptacle in my garage with a permit, but I had to tell the plan inspector, and the AHJ, that is was going to be for a radial arm saw. Then later I ran a portable cord off of a sub panel in my shed and it is plugged into that receptacle.

The point of this was, yes, they insisted on knowing what it was for since I already had a stove and dryer outlet on the plans.

Tim Keveney

Why would you be importing 230 volt tools when all the world's major tool manufacturers make 120 volt versions of their tools? It's not like they aren't aware of the North American market. It sounds like your company needs to go back to the drawing board. Unless these European tools aren't the traditional power tools I'm thinking of (Bosch, Metabo, Festool, etc)

The main reason I have concern is that this power tool is intended primarily for business use. All of our stationary machines which run on 230V have control circuits. All buttons that operators touch are either 24 volt or 115 volt, as it is not permissible for companies to operate equipment in which the operator can touch a button which is directly connected to 230 Volt. The button is wired to a contacter which engages the 230 volt. This hand tool does not have that secondary safety circuit.

yes you are right - most importers have figured this out - let's just say - "we are special" :roll:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The main reason I have concern is that this power tool is intended primarily for business use. All of our stationary machines which run on 230V have control circuits. All buttons that operators touch are either 24 volt or 115 volt, as it is not permissible for companies to operate equipment in which the operator can touch a button which is directly connected to 230 Volt. The button is wired to a contacter which engages the 230 volt. This hand tool does not have that secondary safety circuit.

yes you are right - most importers have figured this out - let's just say - "we are special" :roll:

Keep in mind technically the voltage to ground will only be 120 volts. Unlikely a double insulated tool or metal case tool with an EGC will shock let alone getting across the line.

As Iwire said, it is a code violation in dwellings with lighting and loads under 1440va, but from an NEC perspective that does not apply to commercial/industrial.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I don't believe that to be true.

They might have to install some 230V outlets, but that is not illegal.

What might be a problem is that our 230V is center tap grounded, rather than one of the lines being grounded.

Typically hand-held, corded tools use ac/dc rated motors because they have good stall characteristics. It is unlikely that the frequency difference would matter, since the current is commutated at a frequency unrelated to line Hz anyway.

If you just intend to sell them to "households" probably anything goes. [Appliances that say "for household use only" are so labelled because they typically do not meet the requirements for use in a place of business.] If you intend to sell them to the construction industry, you may a problem as all temporary circuits must be GFCI-protected and this is usually done with GFCI-receptacles which normally don't come in 240V. Further 240V extension cords are rare. And finally CE listings are not sufficient.

[Doesn't the UK use 120V, center-grounded (like our technical circuits) for construction.]

As to whether or not there is an identified neutral depends on the country and plug -- NO DE; YES UK, FR: others ??

I think most corded hand-held power tools in the US are now double insulated. (2 wire, unpolarized plugs)

Two things:

120-0-120 vs 0-230 will not make a difference. In cases like this only potential across the line matters. If the machine has a schuko plug it is given polarity will not matter since as all schuko plugs are none polarized.

fmtjfw

Two things:

120-0-120 vs 0-230 will not make a difference. In cases like this only potential across the line matters. If the machine has a schuko plug it is given polarity will not matter since as all schuko plugs are none polarized.

Except for the French Schukos (grounding pin sticks out of receptacle)

kwired

Electron manager
and just how could that possibly be enforced for a portable tool?
Other then the occasional item like the OP has, there is little demand for anything but 120 volt, as there is seldom a tool less then 1400VA that runs above 240 volts, Electronic items (data processing and accessories in that area) are different, but usually are dual voltage capable.

I heard about a company that used power tools for assembly, but they kept getting "lost", so they simply switched everything over to 400hz.
Probably has some wanting 400Hz supply to run them now, they should be lighter weight then their 60 Hz counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.