Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Here is a report from an insurance group as to why they are a fire risk:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If it were mine I would replace it but it is hard to convince someone to do that. Looks like there are other violations in there as well so you can use that as a selling point.

I know Zinsco is like FPE in the sense of being possibly dangerous...

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
If it were mine I would replace it but it is hard to convince someone to do that. Looks like there are other violations in there as well so you can use that as a selling point.

I know Zinsco is like FPE in the sense of being possibly dangerous...
What other violations do you think you see? And keep in mind that NEC doesn't explicitly mention animals occupying the panel box.;)

Also, many of these old circuits are ungrounded. Are they still grandfathered in if the panel is replaced? Or does replacing the panel necessitate upgrading the circuits. They are planning a remodel at which time they will upgrade circuits. But I am suggesting that in the mean time they replace that panel due to safety concerns.

Last edited:

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
What other violations do you think you see? And keep in mind that NEC doesn't explicitly mention animals occupying the panel box.;)

Also, many of these old circuits are ungrounded. Are they still grandfathered in if the panel is replaced? Or does replacing the panel necessitate upgrading the circuits. They are planning a remodel at which time they will upgrade circuits. But I am suggesting that in the mean time they replace that panel due to safety concerns.
Also note that it is a coastal area with visible corrosion.

Birken Vogt

I use the line "50 years old" to try and communicate to the customers. Because most of these are 50 give or take a bit. That is a good long life and it is time to change it.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I wouldn't touch that except to replace it. Made a couple exceptions here and there when dealing with Zisco, but this wouldn't have been one of them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Looks like the cable on the bottom right does not have a connector????? Also I don't see a ground bar so I am assuming the neutrals and equipment grounding conductor's are connected together

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
Looks like the cable on the bottom right does not have a connector????? Also I don't see a ground bar so I am assuming the neutrals and equipment grounding conductor's are connected together
It's the main, and without a main breaker - it's 70 years old. I should have mentioned that from the beginning.

Last edited:

garbo

I would strongly recommend that they rep!ace it. Can remember helping my electrician dad back in the 1960's replace two of these panels that failed.Was in a less then five year old huge track of row homes who had natural gas and no central AC so very lightly loaded. Did work several times in the past around there and a few of the homes still have these in my opinion unreliable panels.

norcal

I use the line "50 years old" to try and communicate to the customers. Because most of these are 50 give or take a bit. That is a good long life and it is time to change it.
With Zinsco/Sylvania, it's always a good idea to change them out, but I say the same about "Zinsco II" (Eaton BR), they both catered to the same markets.

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
With Zinsco/Sylvania, it's always a good idea to change them out, but I say the same about "Zinsco II" (Eaton BR), they both catered to the same markets.
What do you mean by Zinsco II (Eaton BR)? Eaton still makes BR panels. Eaton BR and Zinsco never were directly related. See this:
"1950-1972 Zinsco designs, sells, and evolves its plug-in panel and breaker line.
1973 Zinsco sells company to GTE Sylvania who continues selling product
1978 Panel line rebranded as “Challenger”, design remains the same
1982 GTE divests Zinsco to a new company created with Challenger Electric. The new company immediately stops making all Zinsco panels and redesigns all new panels and breakers with compatibility to Bryant and Crouse Hinds interiors. Replacement Zinsco breakers are continued to be made separaely for aftermarket purpose.
1988 Westinghouse acquires Challenger Electric, Bryant and Challenger brands merged and redesigned as BR, production moved from Bridgeport. CT to Jackson, MS.
1994 Westinghouse acquired by Eaton/Cutler Hammer, Zinsco breaker business unit sold to T&B. Eaton separated BR and CH plug in panel lines and moved both to production to Lincoln, IL.

So the only thing Zinsco and BR panels ever shared was the Challenger name briefly, but there was never a common design between them. I know that won’t change your mind if you already dislike BR panels, everyone has their own opinions, I just wanted to point out that they are not the same as Zinsco.

I tend to look at all the 1" wide breakers as about the same quality (Siemens, BR, SquareD Homeline, GE) and all the 3/4" wide breakers as a bit more premium (CH, SquareD QO.)"

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
What do you mean by Zinsco II (Eaton BR)? Eaton still makes BR panels. Eaton BR and Zinsco never were directly related. See this:
"1950-1972 Zinsco designs, sells, and evolves its plug-in panel and breaker line.
1982 GTE divests Zinsco to a new company created with Challenger Electric. The new company immediately stops making all Zinsco panels and redesigns all new panels and breakers with compatibility to Bryant and Crouse Hinds interiors. Replacement Zinsco breakers are continued to be made separaely for aftermarket purpose.
1988 Westinghouse acquires Challenger Electric, Bryant and Challenger brands merged and redesigned as BR, production moved from Bridgeport. CT to Jackson, MS.
1994 Westinghouse acquired by Eaton/Cutler Hammer, Zinsco breaker business unit sold to T&B. Eaton separated BR and CH plug in panel lines and moved both to production to Lincoln, IL.

So the only thing Zinsco and BR panels ever shared was the Challenger name briefly, but there was never a common design between them. I know that won’t change your mind if you already dislike BR panels, everyone has their own opinions, I just wanted to point out that they are not the same as Zinsco.

I tend to look at all the 1" wide breakers as about the same quality (Siemens, BR, SquareD Homeline, GE) and all the 3/4" wide breakers as a bit more premium (CH, SquareD QO.)"
The clips on all panels should have a better design IMO. Also, the width of some of these panels, for example those with the meter included, require tight bends and leave little room for large wires - and the extra long Eaton BR MWBC AFCI breaker really creates problems.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
The clips on all panels should have a better design
The side clip-on breakers didn't use spring steal, and are among the worst offenders of burnt-bus bars.

If idiot proof is most apparent with age, 50yr old Pushmatic bolt-on's avoided bus-bar damage better than any brand.

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
The side clip-on breakers didn't use spring steal, and are among the worst offenders of burnt-bus bars.

If idiot proof is most apparent with age, 50yr old Pushmatic bolt-on's avoided bus-bar damage better than any brand.
I am referring to the tabs (clips) under which the BR breakers slide before pushing down on to the bus bar(s). In my own BR panel, for example, the 70 amp will pop off if I move the #2 Al wires without holding down the breaker. They're not as secure as I would like.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
70 amp will pop off if I move the #2 Al wires
Except for factory-installed 4-pole 200A mains, resi-load centers won't typically fit #2 on branch breakers.

Sounds like your house needs this equipment below.

Attachments

• 400A SwitchGear.JPG
    400A SwitchGear.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 6

norcal

Eaton BR loadcenters are Challenger designs, & formerly used Zinsco mains* in 150-225A MB panels, plenty of Zinsco heritage there, as I said they cater to the low end market, but I am in the anything but BR camp, & not fond of GE, but anything else is fine.

* They were phased out after Eaton took over, only Zinsco style mains now are made by Milbank.