Zero export system without interconnection agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Interesting. So, if I'm a residential customer with a grid-tied array connected to your system, do I get credited the wholesale value of my production or do I get a kilowatthour for kilowatthour offset? Or something in between?
You get paid the wholesale price and we actually write you a check at the end of the month. you send us a check for what you have used. We don’t credit kWhs

We actually have some that get pretty good checks.

I’ve mentioned before we have one of the best peak rates in the industry. We will pay you around $.17 cents for exported power during peak times. We charge retail about $.11

Electrons are fungible. Once your are grid-tied, you can't tag "your" electrons for your personal use. If you use 100 kW-hr and they charge you $0.10/kW-hr, and you produce 100 kW-hr and they pay you $0.10/kW-hr, your net cost is $0, not including any infrastructure fees.

If you really want "your" electrons, go off-grid.
We will not pay retail rate for solar production.
we pay only avoided wholesale rate
But I think y'all are missing the point of my complaint: in gunny's turf they won't let you OFFSET your usage. You can NOT have net metering and STILL ALLOW any local generation to go to offset premise usage first.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
So to be clear in your turf is it "buy all sell all" or can customers offset their usage first before selling it to you?
Oh, no.. use all you produce first, sell us the excess. None of that goes through the meter. We only care about what goes through the meter one way or the other.

we used to be buy all sell all. That’s just cheating someone IMO.
that’s like having gas heat and the gas company charging you for your wood heat you make with your own stove…

It's not apples and oranges. It's a clear example of what happens when you shift the burden of proof. The FDA makes drug producers prove they won't harm consumers. Why shouldn't equipment vendors have to prove they won't harm the distribution system? Saying that the party likely to be harmed has the burden of proof is daft.
The way I see it, I am very skeptical there would be any problem. UL 1749 inverters are used all the time and I don't think I have ever heard of an issue - sure backfeed can cause headaches for POCO from a voltage regulation standpoint, but we are talking about zero backfeed so even that goes away. It would be like 1749 with an added "anti backfeed" protocol.

Oh, no.. use all you produce first, sell us the excess. None of that goes through the meter. We only care about what goes through the meter one way or the other.

we used to be buy all sell all. That’s just cheating someone IMO.
that’s like having gas heat and the gas company charging you for your wood heat you make with your own stove…
I definitely agree with you there.

analog8484

Occupation
Tech
Lots of things are "openly claimed" that are totally false.
True in general but I am not aware of any other UL compliant inverter vendor openly making such claims that appear to be misleading. There are laws used by the government to punish vendors that make misleading public claims (e.g. supplements that cure cancer) so I am wondering where are the similar laws in this context.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
And IMO that is criminal, not allowing me to directly use the power from my PV system.
You may not like it, but it isn't "criminal"; it's the rule set by the provider of the grid for its customers. If you want to connect a PV system to their grid, you play by their rules. If you want to build your own microgrid that doesn't touch their conductors you won't be subject to their rules.

The argument against straight net metering is that in a jurisdiction like Austin where there are usage tiers, one is rewarded for using more energy by making PV produced kWh worth the most for those who use the most energy. In Austin one does, of course, use PV produced kWh "directly", but one is financially compensated for that energy supplied to the grid (no matter where it is consumed) at the same rate per kWh as everyone else. The utility has regulating authority over every power source connected to their grid, no matter how small.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The argument against straight net metering is that in a jurisdiction like Austin where there are usage tiers, one is rewarded for using more energy by making PV produced kWh worth the most for those who use the most energy.
So does anyone setup their onsite generation as a microgrid backed up by the utility grid? That should allow behind the meter consumption. To be seamless you'd need a transfer switch that go on/off-grid without power disruption to the loads.

Cheers, Wayne

You may not like it, but it isn't "criminal";[bold it's the rule set by the provider of the grid for its customers.[/bold] If you want to connect a PV system to their grid, you play by their rules. If you want to build your own microgrid that doesn't touch their conductors you won't be subject to their rules.

The argument against straight net metering is that in a jurisdiction like Austin where there are usage tiers, one is rewarded for using more energy by making PV produced kWh worth the most for those who use the most energy. In Austin one does, of course, use PV produced kWh "directly", but one is financially compensated for that energy supplied to the grid (no matter where it is consumed) at the same rate per kWh as everyone else. The utility has regulating authority over every power source connected to their grid, no matter how small.

Utilities generally are not allowed to do whatever they want. They are of course regulated by the state government. I guess the Texas Govt allows utilities to not allow citizens to use their solar power directly. Seems strange to me, especially for "free" Texas. Ill stay in NY I guess ;)

retirede

The way I see it, I am very skeptical there would be any problem. UL 1749 inverters are used all the time and I don't think I have ever heard of an issue - sure backfeed can cause headaches for POCO from a voltage regulation standpoint, but we are talking about zero backfeed so even that goes away. It would be like 1749 with an added "anti backfeed" protocol.

I thought part of 1749 testing was inverter shutdown on loss of utility power? If so, backfeed is not possible.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
We certainly don’t. Micro grid? Sure. We will stay out
But not all big brothers will everywhere. There are locations, I understand but cannot offer any citations, that require power, water, and sewer for an occupancy permit. Whether local generation counts, and what type, would be a slight question.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
We will not pay retail rate for solar production. We pay only avoided wholesale rate
You've suggested earlier that you are with a co-op in one of the Duke Energy service areas. I, in Greenville SC, (a Duke Energy direct customer) have net metering and generation up to consumption is effectively at my retail rate. You can probably "go across the street" and find that.

OTOH, my wife's 1st cousin in Seneca is on a co-op within Duke's service area and cannot have any solar. The Golden Rule; "He who has the gold makes the rules."

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You've suggested earlier that you are with a co-op in one of the Duke Energy service areas. I, in Greenville SC, (a Duke Energy direct customer) have net metering and generation up to consumption is effectively at my retail rate. You can probably "go across the street" and find that.

OTOH, my wife's 1st cousin in Seneca is on a co-op within Duke's service area and cannot have any solar. The Golden Rule; "He who has the gold makes the rules."
When you get right down to it, I guess you could say we “net meter” to a point like Duke. we just don’t issue credits from one month to the next. Duke takes all credits to net 0 on may1
From what I understand, Duke doesn’t pay for excess, we do.

I encourage our customers to export all they can, when they can.. keeps our peak down.

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You may not like it, but it isn't "criminal"; it's the rule set by the provider of the grid for its customers. If you want to connect a PV system to their grid, you play by their rules. If you want to build your own microgrid that doesn't touch their conductors you won't be subject to their rules.

The big problem with 'buy all' 'sell all' is that it precludes various system configurations that ought to be allowed. For example if one wants to have a microgrid that operates autonomously some of the time but also be able to connect to the grid and import or export some of the time, how do you set that up? Also, how does buy-all-sell-all incentivize or fairly compensate storage used for peak load shifting? I understand the motivation for it, but I find it both morally and technically clumsy.

I'm not trying to be argumentive, I just genuinely don't follow this argument against straight net metering. I think I must be not "seeing" it. Couldn't excess generation (after local use) all be billed at the same rate regardless of which tier the customer is in?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I'm not trying to be argumentive, I just genuinely don't follow this argument against straight net metering. I think I must be not "seeing" it. Couldn't excess generation (after local use) all be billed at the same rate regardless of which tier the customer is in?
The biggest argument the utilities has is the net metering where you use a kWh meter spins one way, you export a kWh, meter spins the other way offsetting your net to 0.
From a utility perspective that’s not fair at all. Utilities set their rates based on many things. Poles, wires, plant, vehicles, etc.. all the things it takes to make a business run goes into the rate. Close to $.11 per kWh.

You have no infrastructure, plant, vehicles, salaries, etc, yet many want straight net metering. The utility pays wholesale rate for the power from G&T, why should they pay retail from solar production?

Thats like you making homemade bread and selling it to Wal-Mart at the retail rate and Wal-Mart making absolutely nothing off the item, yet they have to accept it, carry it somewhere, and sell it to someone at the exact same price they paid for it.
Doesn't work…

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
When you get right down to it, I guess you could say we “net meter” to a point like Duke. we just don’t issue credits from one month to the next. Duke takes all credits to net 0 on may1
From what I understand, Duke doesn’t pay for excess, we do.

I encourage our customers to export all they can, when they can.. keeps our peak down.
OK, so I can put up an array that pumps out way more kW-hr than I use? Awesome! Well, if it makes economic sense otherwise. Here in PSEG land I believe that there is (or used to be) a limit on what they would allow you to get credit for. Maybe not more than 10% over your use over the course of a year? If I use 12,000 kW-hr a year, I think I could generate and get paid for up to 13,200 a year. But in NJ there are two parts to the equation. One is the offset of your usage and the other is the renewable energy targets, which might be 3X or more in value, because the utilities in state must show a certain minimum "green" energy in their portfolio. That's why companies come in and tell you you can get a solar system for free. They take the RET portion of the agreement.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
So does anyone setup their onsite generation as a microgrid backed up by the utility grid? That should allow behind the meter consumption. To be seamless you'd need a transfer switch that go on/off-grid without power disruption to the loads.

Cheers, Wayne
I can't speak to that alternative; sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.