Zero export system without interconnection agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, let's ditch the FDA and tell pharmaceutical companies they can sell whatever they want and it's up to the public to prove their products aren't safe or effective?
That's clearly apples and oranges. I see there being basic requirements such as listed components and equipment build to a standard like UL1741 (I understand that doesnt cover the zero backfeed requirement, just using it as an analogous example). As long as we aren't talking about Chinese junk thats going to fail, what sort of problems could this cause for a grid operator?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If a tree falls in a forest....

If the vendor of this product is truthful about how well the zero export technology works, and I buy their equipment and plug it in, so that what the utility sees is simply my house as a residential load using less electricity, then they might be unhappy that I am buying less electricity, but frankly none of their business. I'm not putting anything strange on their network.

If, on the other hand the utility sees power factor changes, injection of harmonics, or some other change that is visible on their network, then that is a rather different story.

IMHO if my system doesn't 'broadcast' onto the utility wires, then the burden of proof is on the utility that there is a deleterious impact. But if the system does 'broadcast' its presence then the burden of proof switches to the vendor.

-Jon

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That's clearly apples and oranges. I see there being basic requirements such as listed components and equipment build to a standard like UL1741 (I understand that doesnt cover the zero backfeed requirement, just using it as an analogous example). As long as we aren't talking about Chinese junk thats going to fail, what sort of problems could this cause for a grid operator?
So a tap goes down, the system backfeeds, killing not a lineman, but someone out thinking they are going to help the POCO.
It has happened with a generator. Solar is another type of generator.

just sayin…

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
So a tap goes down, the system backfeeds, killing not a lineman, but someone out thinking they are going to help the POCO.

just sayin…

These are grid interactive devices which supply power _only_ if the mains supplies the original excitation voltage. In this regard they are much better than generators because by their core design they cannot 'backfeed' a dead drop.

Now they will likely 'support' an improperly connected generator by providing additional power.

-Jon

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
So of course, this is for PG&E......I am still hanging on to my speculation that it is usually not that specific. I'll look thru my utility's spec book when I get a minute and see what their language is like. Also it would be an interesting legal pursuit (for someone with nothing better to do with excess money) to challenge this prohibition in court.🤨
My intuition tells me the PG&E language was developed in response to co-generation plants and dates back well before interactive inverters were a common thing. I'd be surprised if any utility big enough to have co-gen on it's network doesn't have a similar rule somewhere. But it wouldn't be in the 'spec book' most likely. The rule I quoted is on PG&E's 'Tarrifs' webpage.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

just sayin…
The generator analogy is not apt here, in my opinion. A typical backup generator is not designed to operate in parallel with the utility. And it is not hard to install the appropriate 'protective devices' (transfer switch or interlock) that negate the need for an interconnection agreement. The kinds of systems being discussed here are designed to operate in parallel, usually, but are unlikely to ever energize utility wires from the load side.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
If a tree falls in a forest....

If the vendor of this product is truthful about how well the zero export technology works, and I buy their equipment and plug it in, so that what the utility sees is simply my house as a residential load using less electricity, then they might be unhappy that I am buying less electricity, but frankly none of their business. I'm not putting anything strange on their network.
That's not how it works in some jurisdictions, like Austin, TX, for example. They have it worked out so that energy harvested by PV is worth the same to every residential customer, irrespective of what rate tariff they are operating under. Every customer with a PV system is required to install a PV meter on their system. The utility charges for kWh used, irrespective of where it comes from, and then it reimburses the customer for their PV production at the same fixed rate that everyone gets.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Every customer with a PV system is required to install a PV meter on their system. The utility charges for kWh used, irrespective of where it comes from, and then reimburses the customer for their PV production at the same fixed rate that everyone gets.
Do you know if the regulations are written in such a way that they prohibit microgrids not connected to the utility? Or does the above only apply to grid-tie power sources?

Cheers, Wayne

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Do you know if the regulations are written in such a way that they prohibit microgrids not connected to the utility? Or does the above only apply to grid-tie power sources?
I don't think that they care about equipment that does not touch their conductors, but I don't know that for sure.

That's not how it works in some jurisdictions, like Austin, TX, for example. They have it worked out so that energy harvested by PV is worth the same to every residential customer, irrespective of what rate tariff they are operating under. Every customer with a PV system is required to install a PV meter on their system. The utility charges for kWh used, irrespective of where it comes from, and then it reimburses the customer for their PV production at the same fixed rate that everyone gets.
And IMO that is criminal, not allowing me to directly use the power from my PV system.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It's not apples and oranges. It's a clear example of what happens when you shift the burden of proof. The FDA makes drug producers prove they won't harm consumers. Why shouldn't equipment vendors have to prove they won't harm the distribution system? Saying that the party likely to be harmed has the burden of proof is daft.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Our agreement says the interconnection shall not compromise our protection or operational requirements, the power quality shall meet our standards, and if the standards are not met, notice will be given for expedient corrective action. We shall have the right to disconnect the system from our system until we are satisfied of its operation, and that we can disconnect the system without notice, at our discretion, if the system poses a threat, in our opinion, to life and property.
basically means if it doesn’t pass testing that we perform, it’s not connected.

gadfly56

Occupation
And IMO that is criminal, not allowing me to directly use the power from my PV system.
Electrons are fungible. Once your are grid-tied, you can't tag "your" electrons for your personal use. If you use 100 kW-hr and they charge you $0.10/kW-hr, and you produce 100 kW-hr and they pay you $0.10/kW-hr, your net cost is $0, not including any infrastructure fees.

If you really want "your" electrons, go off-grid.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Electrons are fungible. Once your are grid-tied, you can't tag "your" electrons for your personal use. If you use 100 kW-hr and they charge you $0.10/kW-hr, and you produce 100 kW-hr and they pay you $0.10/kW-hr, your net cost is $0, not including any infrastructure fees.

If you really want "your" electrons, go off-grid.
We will not pay retail rate for solar production.
we pay only avoided wholesale rate

gadfly56

Occupation
We will not pay retail rate for solar production.
we pay only avoided wholesale rate
Interesting. So, if I'm a residential customer with a grid-tied array connected to your system, do I get credited the wholesale value of my production or do I get a kilowatthour for kilowatthour offset? Or something in between?

Status
Not open for further replies.