Wire pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have a wire pull with total of 540 degrees of bends, 4 - 4/0-w/# 2 Ground 2 -1/2 EMT

Have a pull box in line but want to pull the entire 540 without extra labor. How much pressure would this be and possible.

I traced out a conduit on job, They literally had 720 degrees of bends with no pull boxes.

Will it go thru 540 degrees point to point. Or should I reconsider?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NEC requires no more than 360? of bends. I would not recommend what you are doing. Add a JB or a conduit body

iwire

Staff member
These links will show you how to do the calculation. The issue will be sidewall pressure in the turns trying to crush the insulation. You would have to find out how much sidewall pressure the wire manufacturer allows / recommends.

http://ecmweb.com/content/simple-calculations-cable-pulling

Here is an online calculator

http://www.encorewire.com/wp-content/uploads/cable_pull.html

Dennis, I think he has the code required pull points he just wants to pass straight through them. We do this often, we plan for it when running conduit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis, I think he has the code required pull points he just wants to pass straight through them. We do this often, we plan for it when running conduit.

Ok , Thanks-- I never imagined doing that but if it is just a pull box I guess it can happen. It would be one heck of a pull, IMO.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I doubt that the actual pulling tension will be an issue, but you could have an issue with the sidewall pressure going around the last 90. In most cases, it is the sidewall pressure that is the limiting factor of a pull. You can decrease the sidewall pressure by increasing the radius of the bend.

I had a long pull with seven 1/0s in a 2" and had to use 36" radius 90?s to get the sidewall pressure low enough to be sure that the insulation would not be damaged. The total pull was about 1900' with a splice box about the midpoint. Both runs had 360?s of bend.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with the others just pull it and don't worry. We pull through 6, 7, 8, 90's all of the time with Simpull.

JDB3

I sometimes "soap" the pipe from the end opposite of the wire pull, & then pull a rag through. This will lube the last bit of the conduit. :happyyes:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree with the others just pull it and don't worry. We pull through 6, 7, 8, 90's all of the time with Simpull.
And you don't worry about the sidewall pressure?

Also the coefficient of friction of simpull is no less than when you apply wire pulling lubricant correctly, it just avoids the mess. However not too many apply the lubricant correctly...there are often dry spots and simpull does avoid that problem.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

yep. and not all the simpull wannabees pull like simpull.

had a bad experience with an awful lot of 250 MCM aluminum
that was "as good as simpull". the first pull was 700 feet long,
and was a six hour nightmare.

use simpull.

Status
Not open for further replies.