Who wants to take guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceH

I'm going on a residential call tomorrow and the problem is that the hallway light will not shut off. The man claims to have no power at either 3 way switch. Any guesses as to what the problem is? I will post results when they are revealed to me.

jbwhite

Re: Who wants to take guess?

The problem is that the guy tried to do electrical work himself, and couldn't do it, so after many hours trying his wife finally convinced him to call you.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by jbwhite:
The problem is that the guy tried to do electrical work himself, and couldn't do it, so after many hours trying his wife finally convinced him to call you.
I have made a lot of money from Homeowners who tried to change 3 way and 4 way switches themselves. Had one once who connected the EGC to one traveler terminal! He wondered why when switch was flipped, fuse blows. :(

when i did service work i would always say "god bless home depot and lowes"

the big orange should change thier catch to:
you can do it, we can help, then a professional can make a living cleaning it all up.

BruceH

I thought this was obvious. :D

jbwhite

Guessing at what a problem is going to end up being, based on a phone conversation with a customer is like playing the lottery. Actually you may have better odds with the lottery.

When I ran a service truck I learned that if the address was correct on the slip you were doing good. I learned to ignor the rest of what the slip said.

But, if what you are looking for is "off the wall" guesses, I put my money on "he tripped the breaker, doesnt know how to reset it and that is why the switches are now dead" I will put my entire allowance of 0.05 dollars a week on it. (my wife has me on a tight budget) " :p

BruceH

Guessing at what a problem is going to end up being, based on a phone conversation with a customer is like playing the lottery. Actually you may have better odds with the lottery.

When I ran a service truck I learned that if the address was correct on the slip you were doing good. I learned to ignor the rest of what the slip said.

But, if what you are looking for is "off the wall" guesses, I put my money on "he tripped the breaker, doesnt know how to reset it and that is why the switches are now dead" I will put my entire allowance of 0.05 dollars a week on it. (my wife has me on a tight budget) " :p
Well, if the light will not shut off I think it's a good "guess" that you just lost your allowance by betting the breaker is tripped. :p I'll let you know where to send the check. :p

jbwhite

hang on... i have a nickel left from last week..
let me take a second guess...

The lights will work from one end, but not the other. the travelers are messed up. and the HO didnt tell you all the info on the phone because his wife was listening in on the call. :)

BruceH

Are you implying that a 'homeowner' would be less than forthcoming? :D Good part is, he wants me to install a new service as well, ching, ching. :p

jimwalker

You have 2 problems.The original that would have took 15 minutes and now the new problem in that it is now wired wrong.Just plan on ringing out and marking all the wires first.Then proceed to wire it up in what ever config it was to begin with.Ohh and plan on him standing there asking dumb questions.And him and the mrs will be fighting after she writes that check for a 2 hour service call.Be sure and put your sticker on his panel as he will not learn from this and will need you again. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

My guess: power was pulled to the light first, and then travellers after the light. H/O came in, changed the light, messed with the workings, scratched his head, put it back together wrong,

...then he got out a test light, found a hot wire and a neutral, hooked his light to that. That would leave all the switches dead. ;)

edit to add link to picture

[ December 26, 2005, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

BruceH

Well, what can I say, he's an retired general contractor. We all know how they can be. No, the service upgrade I got for sure, I was planning on starting it this week and he calls me with this other problem that he can't seem to resolve. I'm sure it's no big deal, he probably did try to replace the switches himself for some reason and got em wired wrong.

peter d

George, you're overthinking this. The problem is quite clearly that the microfleems are subradiante. :D

(Who can guess where that one came from? :cool: )

[ December 26, 2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

jbwhite

ok....i am keeping the book here.

george says problem is at the light.

I lost one, but have a new bet for problem at switch.

better be carfull bruce you could end up owing 15 cents here.

edit: we accept pay pal.

[ December 26, 2005, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: jbwhite ]

peter d

Todd,

Nope, try again. It's a tough one, and pretty obscure, so I'll give you a hint. It's from a popular non-animal comic strip.

Status
Not open for further replies.