Weatherhead underground mount array

Status
Not open for further replies.

electro7

Occupation
Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
Thanks everybody.

Attached is a screenshot from one of the manufacturers engineers regarding the weatherhead use. Hopefully this will suffice and he doesn't put up a fit about the "service" language.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 12.36.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 12.36.04 PM.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 17
Yeah the term "service entrance head" is dumb, I don't think I've ever even heard that before. Is that something the manufacturer came up with or is that word used in the product standard? I use weather heads all the time for conductors that are not service conductors.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Yeah the term "service entrance head" is dumb, I don't think I've ever even heard that before. Is that something the manufacturer came up with or is that word used in the product standard? I use weather heads all the time for conductors that are not service conductors.
It seems to me that if something is robust enough to be service equipment it should be good enough for anything downstream from the service entrance.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Hate to say it, but for a inspector who reads the book without knowing what things really are that 'service entrance head' definition might just make things worse.

Obviously there's no good reason that a 'service entrance head' shouldn't be used in other applications, in particular to transition from article 396 messenger supported wiring to anything else. People do that all the time. I wonder if the UL standard makes any reference to this. (If not, it should.)

electro7

Occupation
Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
I agree. To say that a fitting is only to be used for service entrance conductors because the UL listing titles it as "service entrance head" is not reasonable. What would you use for overhead feeders to transition to conduit if this wasn't "allowed"?

He originally stated to me that since the PV wires weren't FEEDERS the mast head wasn't allowed to be used. So if he trys to stand on the word "service" he would be negating what he originally said.

I think I will use the argument that even if a disconnect switch is rated for service equipment it doesn't have to be used for services only.

Going to turn in a response letter today

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.