water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

howlev

Art.422.13 requires the branch circuit to 125% of the ampacity of the water heater is there any where that requires the overcurrent prot. to also be derated,example 4500w heater 240V 18.75A *1.25= 23.44 20A circuit breaker # 12 mn cable

bphgravity

Re: water heater

The overcurrent protection for a water heater shall not exceed 150% of the nameplate rating, so this would allow a 30-ampere OCD. The conductors would have to be 30-ampere rated as well.

The minimum circuit ampacity is at 125%. #12 us not good for 23-amperes as stated in your post. You would have to go to a #10. It could be protected by a 25-ampere OCD if you desired. :)

howlev

table 310.16 states that #12 is rated for 25A @60C which would be greater than the 23+ amperage also the 20A breaker does not exeed 150%

ryan_618

I'm not 100% sure on my application here, so help me out. 240.4(D) gives the requirments for small conductors, unless modified by (E)through(G). (G) has provisions for motor operated appliances, but not non-motor operated appliances, and therefore a #12 could not be protected by more than a 20A OCPD, because it is not a motor operated appliance.

howlev

that is true about 240.4 Ryan and I am only using a 20A circuit breaker therefore not exceeding this reguirement

iwire

Staff member

You can not use a 20 amp breaker for this water heater.

4500w heater 240V 18.75A *1.25= 23.44
You must use a breaker rated 23.44 amps or above.

240.4(D) requires the use of 10 AWG for this application when the OCP is greater than 20 amps.

Bottom line for a 240 volt 4500 watt water heater, 25 or 30 amp breaker and 10 AWG minimum.

422.13 Storage-Type Water Heaters.
A branch circuit supplying a fixed storage-type water heater that has a capacity of 450 L (120 gal) or less shall have a rating not less than 125 percent of the nameplate rating of the water heater.
210.3 Rating.
Branch circuits recognized by this article shall be rated in accordance with the maximum permitted ampere rating or setting of the overcurrent device. The rating for other than individual branch circuits shall be 15, 20, 30, 40, and 50 amperes. Where conductors of higher ampacity are used for any reason, the ampere rating or setting of the specified overcurrent device shall determine the circuit rating.

howlev

Yes I agree if I was using a 30A breaker but 422.11 does not say I must use 150% for my overcurrent size and 210.3 says that the breaker determines the circuit rating not the oversized wires

iwire

Staff member

I am not following you here.

422.13 requires the branch circuit to be 125% of the water heater load, in this case you have said that is 23.44 amps.

210.3 requires us to rate the branch circuit by the size of the overcurrent protection.

The only way to provide a branch circuit that has a rating of 23.44 amps is use overcurrent protection equal or higher than that.

This means a 20 amp breaker is a violation.

You will have to choose a 25 amp or 30 amp overcurrent protection.

With a 25 or 30 amp OCPD 240.4(D) prohibits the use of 12 AWG for this type of application.

Bob

ryan_618

Holwev: Read Bob's post one more time, I think he is right on. The branch circuit must be sized at 125%. The rating of the breaker is what determines the rating of the circuit. For example, you could have 500Kcmil on a 20 amp breaker...you still have a 20 amp branch circuit, not a 380 amp branch circuit.

The section you cite requires the branch circuit to be sized 125% of the nameplate, which is greater than 20 amps after the 1.25 multiplier. You can use any size of wire you want that will carry 23 amps, as long as you don't violate 240.4.

howlev

The definition of branch circuit is the conductors not overcurrent and conductors the conductors must be sized at 125% the overcurrent can not exceed 150% the appliance rated current which is 18.75A. as per art. 422.11 E 3, not the 23+ amps for the wire size as per art. 422.13. Also art. 210.3 is for other then individual branch circuits as this is an individual branch circuit this article does not apply

ryan_618

422.13 Storage-Type Water Heaters.
A branch circuit supplying a fixed storage-type water heater that has a capacity of 450 L (120 gal) or less shall have a rating not less than 125 percent of the nameplate rating of the water heater.
This requires that the branch circuit (not just the conductors...the BRANCH CIRCUIT) be sized at 125%. The rating of a branch circuit is determined by the size of the overcurrent device, not the conductors.

For example...you have a light pole circuit that is 500' in length. You pull number 4 to allow for voltage drop, and you put it on a 20 amp breaker. You have a 20 amp branch circuit...not an 85 amp branch circuit.

Read 210.3 again. It does not apply only to "other than indidual branch circuits", it simply makes one statement about them. If it applied only to other than individual branch circuits, it would read like this:

210.3 Multi-outlet circuits. This section is... blah blah blah blah blah.

howlev

Branch Circuit. "The circuit conductors" between the final overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).
THE CIRCUIT CONDUCTORS FROM THE LUGS OF THE OVERCURRENT DEVICE TO THE OUTLET BRANCH CIRCUIT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE OVERCURRENT DEVICE OR THE OUTLET IN THIS CASE THE WATER HEATER
yOU MAY ALSO WANT TO LOOK AT ART 210.2 AS AN APPLIANCE BRANCH CIRCUIT IS NOT RECOGNIZED IN THIS ART. AS STATED IN ART.210.3 BUT IS RECOGNIZED IN 422

gpedens

Bryan, my math shows that 150% of 18.75 is a fuzz over 28. Wouldn't a 30 amp breaker excede 150%?

howlev

you can use the next standard size breaker. my point is why do I have to use anything greater then a 20A breaker

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

howlev,
First please lose the caps. Thanks.
422.13 requires that the branch circuit rating be at least 125% of the water heater nameplate rating. 210.2 says that Article 210 applies. 210.3 says that the rating of the branch circuit is equal to the size of the branch circuit OCPD. In this case the minimum size branch circuit rating that is permitted is 23.44 amps. That size OCPD does not exist, so the minimum rating of the OCPD is 25 amps. The maximum permitted OCPD for #12 is 20 amps in this case, so this circuit requires #10 wire and a 25 amp OCPD.
Don

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by howlev:
THE CIRCUIT CONDUCTORS FROM THE LUGS OF THE OVERCURRENT DEVICE TO THE OUTLET BRANCH CIRCUIT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE OVERCURRENT DEVICE OR THE OUTLET IN THIS CASE THE WATER HEATER
yOU
You are correct the breaker is not part of a branch circuit, but as directed by 210.3 the breaker rating determines the rating of the branch circuit connected to it.

Originally posted by howlev:
MAY ALSO WANT TO LOOK AT ART 210.2 AS AN APPLIANCE BRANCH CIRCUIT IS NOT RECOGNIZED IN THIS ART. AS STATED IN ART.210.3 BUT IS RECOGNIZED IN 422
Section 2102 does not say "AN APPLIANCE BRANCH CIRCUIT IS NOT RECOGNIZED IN THIS ART." Section 210.2 says that other articles may amend or supplement the provisions of 210.

I do not see anything in article 422 that amends 210.3

You must use breaker greater than 23.44 amps for your example. :)

Bob

By the way your Caps Lock button is stuck. ;)

[ May 25, 2004, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Status
Not open for further replies.