ug pedestal in frost

Status
Not open for further replies.

drg

Re: ug pedestal in frost

Imagine there are areas of the country where certains work rules are structured and followed I can appreciate and respect that , but in other areas of this country the opposite is true,

If your told to do some digging thats what you will do, this is only normal procedure...

If there is a hole that needs to be cored through a wall to run a conduit, of course we do it, that would only be normal and nothing would be said about it......

Things like this are expected of a electrician here and in a lot of areas throughout the states.

Now if you ask a electrician in these parts to hang some curtains or some other task that would be intended to degrade him chances are you would be laying on the floor looking up at him and wondering why you ask such foolish things.

Not everyone lives in the home of the world famous red soxs.

divo2500

Originally posted by drg:
Imagine there are areas of the country where certains work rules are structured and followed I can appreciate and respect that , but in other areas of this country the opposite is true,

If your told to do some digging thats what you will do, this is only normal procedure...

If there is a hole that needs to be cored through a wall to run a conduit, of course we do it, that would only be normal and nothing would be said about it......

Things like this are expected of a electrician here and in a lot of areas throughout the states.

Now if you ask a electrician in these parts to hang some curtains or some other task that would be intended to degrade him chances are you would be laying on the floor looking up at him and wondering why you ask such foolish things.

Not everyone lives in the home of the world famous red soxs.
Well Said!!!

tkb

I would do what ever I included in my price.
If I was asked to dig, my price would reflect it.
For the customer, sometimes it is less expensive to have an excavator dig a trench than to have an electrician dig it.

drg

O.k. that seemed like in good spirits. :) Ill live with that.

[ January 12, 2005, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: drg ]

iwire

Staff member

I also agree with drg, it all depends on what is common in your area. :)

Originally posted by tkb:
I would do what ever I included in my price.
If I was asked to dig, my price would reflect it.
For the customer, sometimes it is less expensive to have an excavator dig a trench than to have an electrician dig it.
For the company I work for this is really what it comes down to, cost. While the customer and the GC try to get our price reduced we negotiate out the work that is not directly electrical.

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
If you could get them to do it would you be upset?
Yes...I get paid by the hour.

Don
So do I, but I will still have plenty to do without taking away the labors work. :D

It is not good use of company resources to have a $35 per hour guy working a shovel. ;)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

That's why the $35 guy turns to the $10 guy and says, "Dig that hole, loser." :D

I agree with drg, that was well put.

Depending on the scale of a project, we will bid trenching jobs for us to sub-out a excavator, but generally trenching is done for us. Our prices (which I seldom see) probably are prohibitive for us to take on much of the digging, because frequently we get the job but not the excavating. Running a ditch witch is fun now and then.

I've talked to a guy who didn't do much actual electrical, mostly dug trenches and maybe bent a little pipe here and there. He got his time in for his journeyman, took a class, passed the test, and was rewarded with a raise and a shovel. Think he was told to dig a 150' trench, or something like that.

Digging little holes is par for the course, but a 150' trench? Fuhgetaboutit. They actually paid the guy $20, $22 an hour to dig. Insanity. Not that he knew his way around a wire nut, but jeez. Why pay a journeyman who isn't one, to dig trenches for a zillion times the cost of renting equipment? Either the guy was pulling my leg, or there's gonna be an EC panhandling in a year or two... :D

If I personally were told to hand dig a 150' trench for no apparent good reason, I would view that as my walking papers. :D

[ January 13, 2005, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

a few years ago I hired a local plumbing contractor to run gas out to my garage so I could have heat out there.

they brought in a temp from a local temp service to dig the trench from the house to the garage. thats the way they quote them. the guy that came out said its much cheaper then paying plumber's wages for trench digging, plus the plumbers don't want to do it.

it took the two plumbers 3-4 hours to get the gas line run from where it started out the basement wall and into the trench. by then the temp had already dug his trench and had left with 4 hours pay for 2-3 hours work.

the plumbers told me he was headed to another site to dig another trench when he left my house.

not my idea of a career, but apparently this guy was their trench digger, and they kept him pretty busy. don't know why they did not just hire him on. maybe cause its a union shop and their is no classification for a shoveler.

shocker3218

I've never asked carpenters to drill my holes, but for a while I did work for a contractor that used wood studs with holes pre-drilled in them. It sure did speed up the rough-in process. Only had to drill about 10% of the holes I needed.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by petersonra:
not my idea of a career, but apparently this guy was their trench digger, and they kept him pretty busy.
If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
Not I. -The first little pig.
:D

[ January 13, 2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

Status
Not open for further replies.