ug pedestal in frost

Status
Not open for further replies.

divo2500

Been doing this 20 years or so. Today installed underground pedistal in new house. How are you guys digging the hole in the frozen ground. This one was frozen clay with plenty of rocks. Frost was all the way down. I have used charcoal or a kerosene heater with 1/2 of a metal drum over it. just go out there every hour or so and dig what you can. I have also used a demo hammer and just chiseled it away. Today I had to use both methods. Very time consuming. Theres gotta be an easier way!!! Thanks

iwire

Staff member
Re: ug pedestal in frost

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
tkb read my mind.
It must be a MA electrician thing. :D

I was thinking the same thing.

We also do not cut and patch Sheetrock, plaster, asphalt or concrete. :D

drg

divo2500

We use a 110000 btu diesel heater and board off as much as possible of the work area to be dug out , then you slop out a few inches at a time, if you try the pick and sledge hammer your doomed ...........

Its a slow, filthy, backbreaking mess that we see every year ( seems I do anyways)

Clay mix with breaker rock is about as bad as your going to get........there is no easy way my friend when you have to deal with frozen ground like this.

A backhoe is just going to" scratch" in frozen soil also and being close to a building you risk shoving in the foundation wall so scrap that idea if thinking about that.

Your heating method is correct but its a slow painful lesson that takes some time.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by iwire:
...and we bathe in asses milk, amid silk curtains scented with rose oil. :D

For one poor sucker from another, I torch PVC glue. A decent glurp will burn for about 15 or twenty minutes. Pour, burn, dig, repeat. Works pretty good. If you can auger into the ground with an auger bit at all, that'll let some of the heat in a bit more and make reservoirs for the glue. :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Originally posted by iwire:
George the funny thing is I am not kidding. :D

Those tasks get negotiated out of the contracts the shop I work for signs. :p

I agree with drg, truly frozen ground is not overcome with even a large excavator. :eek:

jimwalker

Confused just why do you put up with all these problems is the money worth it ? i was sweating today .Lets see if i got this right ,most of you earn just enough to pay rent and buy food and freez to death doing this.Are you gaining anything ? Why not head to FL stay warm get food housing and spend dec. jan. etc at the beach :D :cool: :eek:

electricmanscott

Originally posted by georgestolz:
...and we bathe in asses milk, amid silk curtains scented with rose oil. :D
I'm thinking of changing the name of my business to "Diva Electrical"
"I know you don't think I'm crawling in that attic..." :D

peter d

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Meanwhile on the excavator forum.... How do I get wire from point a to point b?
Let the electrician do it. :D
Yeah right.....more like...you put the black wire on the brass screw, and the white wire on the silver one...... :D

drg

I will tell you something, as tough it sounds .....and it is tough ,make no mistake about that part.

I would not trade the 4 seasons , the dignity of a hard days work , working as a electrician on state and federal wages compared to moaning about the bad help, low wages and working with some kid ( with shorts and no shirt ) who knocks all the holes in a single gang plastic box. (boy if that don't say it all)

Its thats your idea of the trade enjoy.....Ill just struggle up here and work towards a career that makes a man feel like something at the end of the day.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

That's great, I deal with so-so help, freezing my gnads off, digging, and get no respect. Strange thing is, I still like what I do! :D

shocker3218

I understand that bobcat has a new auger bit on the market specifically meant for frozen dirt. I saw it in action and it works great. Also cuts right through asphalt. If power tools are an option, you might want to check into this.

electricmanscott

There are people that you hire to do this kind of work. Do you also paint and hang curtains? :D Why not let the people in a particular trade do their work. I know that if the excavator was putting in the pipe there would be people here crying "They're taking food from my kids mouth...". :roll:

divo2500

I always thought digging the small hole for the pedistal was part of the job. Hmmmm... maybe i will ask the carpenters tomorow if they will drill all the holes in the studs for me. If they say no I will just take a little of the $1000000 profit from this house and hire someone :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by divo2500:
Hmmmm... maybe i will ask the carpenters tomorow if they will drill all the holes in the studs for me.
If you could get them to do it would you be upset? :D

divo2500

If you could get them to do it would you be upset?

are you kidding??? I would give them the drill and go get breakfast!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.