Ufer location

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
For MA guys, take it for what it is worth. On the commercial jobs I do in MA we are getting Ufer inspections.

CEE_Page_1.jpg

Page 2

CEE_Page_2.jpg

Who ever wrote this did the right thing. I stand 100% behind this. All states need to take this approach to enforcement. A UFER bond is an essential part to the safety of any installation. Not only does it trump any ground rod, it reduces voltage differences during adverse condition such as an open neutral or incidental contact with higher voltages.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Why is the concrete guy installing the ufer? I understand it may save a trip but IMO, I locate the ufer not a concrete guy.
Around here, it is unlikely that an EC has even been selected at the time the foundation is poured and the provisions for the required concrete encased electrode are provided by the concrete contractor and inspection by the person who inspects the foundation.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm not in the business of installing UFERs but I frequently have to verify if they were done right or else install two ground rods. The only surefire thing an inspector will accept is an inspection record from before the pour that an inspector signed off on. It is a specific line item on the jobcard, grouped with a couple of other items that must be signed before the pour. (Rebar is okay, etc.) In San Francisco it has to be done by an electrical inspector (all inspectors specialize here). I guess if you are smart you call for a building inspector and an electrical inspector to come at the same time, and schedule your pour for the next day.

So yeah, I agree you get it inspected before the pour.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Around here, it is unlikely that an EC has even been selected at the time the foundation is poured and the provisions for the required concrete encased electrode are provided by the concrete contractor and inspection by the person who inspects the foundation.

Same here and the State figured that the footing inspector was smart enough to look at the CEE so they let them inspect the connection. We did have a footing inspector hold up a pour because the concrete contractor didn't install the CEE. He made the mason run to Home Depot to buy some bare copper and a clamp. Only problem is that he installed a #8 for a 200 amp service and the rebar was only 3/8". So much for all of them being smart enough.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have been working in the area for over 35 years and I have builders who I have been working for all that time. All my builders know me but I have to remind them to get me in before the footers are poured. In NC there is no amendment on the ufer but no one enforces it. Since my homes are custom I insist on putting in the ufer. Occasionally they forget and I have to use rods.

I also make sure the inspectors know about it but usually it's the building inspector who okays it (technically illegal if they don't have the right license) when they do the footing inspection.

darkov

OP didn't specify which GEC. It could be a 20 ft. of #4 cu. in footing with another about 5 ft up out of footong.
I see both installations, but most of the time #4 copper wire. It doesn't matter how far is it from the panel,as long as splice is accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.