Ufer location

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I am wiring a new residential job. The concrete/ foundation contractor installed the concrete encased electrode at the opposite end of the basement.
Overall, the path I need to take to get to it is about 130ft.

Is there a issue with distance that would lessen the effectiveness of the electrode?

Thanks

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If the foundation has not been poured yet, I would request a rebar as close to the service as possible. Just so you don't have to install 130'.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why is the concrete guy installing the ufer? I understand it may save a trip but IMO, I locate the ufer not a concrete guy.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
How do you make the connection to the Uffer accessible?
I've only used one once and it was stubbed outside the building.
Have the concrete guy stub a piece of rebar up past the stem wall high enough to bug on to it with a piece of #4 inside the framed wall then cover the hole in the drywall with a blank plate screwed to a mud ring or lo vo remodel ring.

iwire

Staff member
The electrician has to stub out the rebar? Or just be the one to attach the GEC to it?

The electrical inspector must see the rebar being claimed to be a Ufer before the concrete is poured.

To request an inspection requires a permit and to get the permit requires an electrical license.

iwire

Staff member
For MA guys, take it for what it is worth. On the commercial jobs I do in MA we are getting Ufer inspections.

CEE_Page_1.jpg

Page 2

CEE_Page_2.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Around here the building inspector who does the footing inspection inspects the CEE. Usually the concrete guy installs a piece of #4 Cu to the rebar.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
How do you make the connection to the Uffer accessible?
I've only used one once and it was stubbed outside the building.
The connection to the rebar in the footing does not have to be accessible.

250.68(A) Accessibility. All mechanical elements used to terminatea grounding electrode conductor or bonding jumper to
a grounding electrode shall be accessible.
Exception No. 1: An encased or buried connection to a
concrete-encased, driven, or buried grounding electrode
shall not be required to be accessible.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Is he asking if the rebar stubs up into a wall for connection to the GEC doesn't it need to be accessible?

I didn't think so but maybe. That would need to be accessible. Around here I put it in the footing rebar-- means an extra trip but I feel it is the best way to do it for us.

nizak

The building inspector verifies the install when the footing inspection is done. Only once in several years has an electrical inspector questioned the install since he did not see it go in.

At that for instance he asked I drive 2 8' rods to supplement the u fer. I know he could have been a real PITA and required it be done over, but didn't.

There was a mis understanding with the HO as to the placement of the electrical panel. I told him there would be a sub panel located at the opposite end of the house. He mistook that for meaning that's where the service would be located and had the foundation contractor put it there.

I did not hear back from him for 4 months until he was ready for rough in.

Off the top of my head I can name at least 5 inspectors in a 50 mile radius of here that never question the u-fer install. Maybe they all work in conjunction with their building inspectors, or maybe they just don't care.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If the connection is buried then it does not have to be accessible. If it is not buried then it should be accessible.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I didn't think so but maybe. That would need to be accessible. Around here I put it in the footing rebar-- means an extra trip but I feel it is the best way to do it for us.

Yeah, I was talking about if a piece of rebar was stubbed up into a stud bay.

So you go ahead and tie in your #4 before the pour? Then leave it coiled up someplace?
Looks like that would get damaged or worse, cut off and "walk away"!:happyyes:

I usually don't get called to rough a house until after the pour and walls are up.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yeah, I was talking about if a piece of rebar was stubbed up into a stud bay.

So you go ahead and tie in your #4 before the pour? Then leave it coiled up someplace?
Looks like that would get damaged or worse, cut off and "walk away"!:happyyes:

I usually don't get called to rough a house until after the pour and walls are up.

Depending on the area I either bury the exposed part or sleeve it in carflex.

Status
Not open for further replies.