Ufer Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

lady sparks lover

Can someone point me in the directions in which I can find illustrations on ufer grounds. I know what they are, and what they do, but I've never seen the actually lay-in process. I need more visuals. :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Ufer Grounding

Here is A Mike Holt graphic that gives a good example of one type of what we (trades people) generically (is that a word :) ) call a UFER.

1003537943_2.gif

Roger

dnbob

The term "UFER" is not exactly a generic term, it was named after the guy that invented it, I think his name was Henry Ufer.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Dnbob, that is correct, but what we in the trade refer to as a UFER ground is not a true UFER as designed and used by UFER, hence the reason I said generic (ally ;) ).

Roger

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by dnbob:
The term "UFER" is not exactly a generic term, it was named after the guy that invented it,
Yes that is true, :) but what we electricians typically call a Ufer is only a concrete encased electrode.

That is not truly a Ufer, there is much more to a true Ufer than what the NEC calls a concrete encased electrode.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Iwire:
The orginal Ufer as investigated by Herb Ufer in the early 1960's was a 20 ft length of 4 AWG bare copper in the concrete footing of a building. The NEC allows both 1/2" rebar and 4 AWG bare copper.
What else are you referring to "there is much more to a true Ufer than what the NEC calls a concrete encased electrode", in case I am not aware of someother tid bit on the Ufer.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Bob, I've been on a roll lately :D

Roger

dereckbc

Staff member

Tom I think you are referring too IEEE-63-1505 which was based on some of Ufer's concepts. He developed the system back in 1940's for bomb shelters in Flagstaff AZ. What is printed in the IEEE is not the system Ufer designed, but rather the concept IMO.

Ufer required all the re-enforcing rods to be tied or welded together simular to what Sam showed in his link

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Tom, Herb actually designed it in the 40,s during WW 2, and as Dereck points out it was somewhat different.

Roger

dereckbc

Staff member

Patty, the Ufer ground can be as minimal as required by the NEC or as elaborate as what military, telecom and broadcast performs.

I would caution anyone using the minimum requirements of # 4 AWG laid in the bottom of the footing. I learned the hardway. In the rare event the site should be struck by lightning, you could suffer foundation damage.

In the telecom industry we require all the re-bar to be bonded together either by double tie wires, irreversible compression, or exothermic weld. I stub up a rebar near the AC service entrance and where ever I need access to the GE system, then weld the GEC or bonding jumper to the rebar. Its that simple, and fairly economical.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Ok here is a thought...A monolithic footer slab,Laid in the footer is extensive rebar tied together.Either there is a #4 wire clamped to the rebar before it is poured(inspected of course) or
a length of rebar is stubbed out to be grounded to later(also inspected).Here is the kicker,plastic is laid in the footer and slab after termite treatment.So where does the rebar get contact with the earth ??? after concrete is poured.I brought this up because I was given a heads up that we will have to still use ground rods soon because of this same senario.So why bother.Any thoughts

lady sparks lover

Originally posted by dereckbc:
Patty, the Ufer ground can be as minimal as required by the NEC or as elaborate as what military, telecom and broadcast performs.

I would caution anyone using the minimum requirements of # 4 AWG laid in the bottom of the footing. I learned the hardway. In the rare event the site should be struck by lightning, you could suffer foundation damage.

In the telecom industry we require all the re-bar to be bonded together either by double tie wires, irreversible compression, or exothermic weld. I stub up a rebar near the AC service entrance and where ever I need access to the GE system, then weld the GEC or bonding jumper to the rebar. Its that simple, and fairly economical.
Hi Derek,

You know in our spec, book spec, I think we spec a number #4 or #2 depending on the application, but you raised an important point. Think about the damage with a fault current. Water absorbed in concrete, and metal, looks like a possible damage to me. But this type of grounding can be economical if done correctly. :)

dereckbc

Staff member

Patty IMO and experience tells me the problem can be avoided all together by simply bonding the rebar together, and bonding the GEC to the rebar.

If it were me, I would just spec the rebar to be bonded, and stub up one piece near or in the service enswitch gear. Then weld the GEC to it.

dereckbc

Staff member

Pierre, are you talking below grade? Because I have done this for many years, and never questioned by inspectors.

[ February 23, 2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

Status
Not open for further replies.