tri plex wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwalker

Got my hands on a roll of triplex aluminum with steel messanger #2.Markings are gone so not sure if it can be ran in pvc underground.Willing to add neutral because i know it needs a ground.Run will be 100 feet.Have 100 amp sub panel with main 100 amp breaker factory installed.Is there anything wrong in using the bare steel as the ground and adding a #2 neutral ? What is the letters to most triplex wires ? It was used for temporary service, part underground, part overhead.It will feed a shed that i need at max 60 amps.Trying to use what i already own.

jimwalker

Re: tri plex wire

Will if i have to but first wanted be sure what i have for free isnt useable :D No problem in spending customers money but when it comes to mine i dont let go fast.It was from a job i did about 2 years ago.It passed inspection and was in use for about 6 months.I tried to read the markings but sun faded them.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by georgestolz:
See 396.2 - Triplex is recognized as a configuration, just not as a conductor/cable type. :D
But can Jim use it underground and inside?

No.

jtester

I agree with iwire. In particular, because the neutral has a steel core, it is ACSR. That is an aerial cable. The steel provides additional strength for the messenger, and allows you to pull it tighter than if it was all aluminum. I think the ACSR neutral is the clue.

Jim T

jimwalker

Upon further checking it seems that the 2 insulated wires are part steel as well as they are very stiff.I had no intention of using the bare wire as a neutral was planning on adding a new nuetral.With no markings its hard to say what the other 2 are insulated as.They were intended to get wet.

pierre

I do not know about your particular set up, but Alcan's and Dodge Phelps overhead triplex seems to be listed for overhead use only.

Alcan Multiplexed Overhead Service and Secondary Cable assemblies consist of one or more insulated conductors and one bare neutral conductor. The cable assembly may be used as a service drop (power pole to service entrance) or as a secondary cable (pole to pole). XLPE insulated cables are rated for 90? C operation, and PE are rated for 75? C.

Dodge Phelps
Detail Description or Construction Conductor
Concentric strand or compressed 1350-H19 conductors, Concentric strand AAC, ACSR
or AAAC alloy neutral messenger Insulation
Polyethylene or Cross-Linked Polyethylene insulation (XLPE) (one insulated conductor ridged for phase identification)

Application
For aerial three phase power supply from the utility?s lines to the consumer?s servicehead.

Status
Not open for further replies.