This is how I understand a res service is done. If the MBJ in the main panel is removed, I’d have to isolate grounds and neutrals correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
SomeRandomPerson welcome to the forum. Your thread has come at a time that coincides with a major code change that has a lot of us confused, not just the green apprentices.

Under 2020 code you are allowed what amounts to a "Main Bonding Jumper" in two locations, one outside the house and one inside the house. This was never allowed for the last seventy some years, so a lot of us are trying to work out what this means. I hope you hang in there with the discussion as it evolves and don't get frustrated. Both the old dogs and the new are going to learn something.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Your service disconnect is outside in the meter main. The panel inside is a subpanel and requires ser which is 4 wires. You need a neutral, 2 hots and an equipment grounding conductor. No bonding in the second panel-- everything is done outside at the meter main

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Your service disconnect is outside in the meter main. The panel inside is a subpanel and requires ser which is 4 wires. You need a neutral, 2 hots and an equipment grounding conductor. No bonding in the second panel-- everything is done outside at the meter main
OP. The hitch here depends on your marking of the meter main. See 230.85(1) & (3). (2) does not apply to your situation.

Your local inspector may disagree.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
That all changed for dwelling units in 2020 code.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Although that's the way I would do it under the 2020 NEC it is no longer required to be done that way.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Are you on the 2020 NEC? IMO the meter main should be where the service disconnect is. Prior to the 2020 NEC you would not have the option to use the panel as the service disconnect.
??? Prior to 2020 the main panel was almost always the service disconnect?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I realize that but have you seen a meter main that was marked "Not for service" Emergency Disconnect. I had not so I assumed that outside disconnect was the service disconnect.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Note: if my assumption is wrong, and the new meter main is supposed to be new service equipment, then the SEU must be replaced with SER or another method with an EGC, and your water main GEC must be moved to the meter main.
Minor nit: 250.121 allows a wire type EGC to serve as a GEC as well when it meets the requirements for both conductors.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I realize that but have you seen a meter main that was marked "Not for service" Emergency Disconnect. I had not so I assumed that outside disconnect was the service disconnect.
There's nothing preventing the installer from so marking a meter main. Another thread suggested that some meter main manufacturers are including a sticker with their meter mains for use if desired.

Cheers, Wayne

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
There's nothing preventing the installer from so marking a meter main. Another thread suggested that some meter main manufacturers are including a sticker with their meter mains for use if desired.

Cheers, Wayne
I don't think you can do that. If the unit is labeled by the manufacturer as service equipment you can't just write on the panel non service equipment.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I don't think you can do that. If the unit is labeled by the manufacturer as service equipment you can't just write on the panel non service equipment.
That could possibly be an issue if it is labeled as "Suitable Only for Use as Service Equipment." A discussion on that issue started here:

But if it's labeled as "Suitable for Use as Service Equipment" there shouldn't be any issue.

Cheers, Wayne

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The NEC has been moving more and more to 'ground and neutral are to be joined at one and only one location' for many years now.

The change to eliminating 3 wire circuits for ranges and dryers, changes to outside feeders, etc.

While IMHO the change permitting the shared neutral between the 'emergency disconnect' and the 'service disconnect' is perfectly reasonable, it is arguably a change in the opposite direction.

Jon

Occupation
Electrician
SomeRandomPerson welcome to the forum. Your thread has come at a time that coincides with a major code change that has a lot of us confused, not just the green apprentices.

Under 2020 code you are allowed what amounts to a "Main Bonding Jumper" in two locations, one outside the house and one inside the house. This was never allowed for the last seventy some years, so a lot of us are trying to work out what this means. I hope you hang in there with the discussion as it evolves and don't get frustrated. Both the old dogs and the new are going to learn something.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just want to know exactly how it’s done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
But that would make the grounded/neutral conductor a bonding jumper would it not? That kind of mashes up 250.24(1) with 250.64(F)
I didn't check your references, but I don't see any inherent conflict. The point of the GES is to earth the neutral, so it doesn't matter where that happens between the service entrance and the main panel. The point of the MBJ is to let the EGC system clear a fault (for grounded systems), so it occurs where the EGC originates. The EGC's connection to the GES is a side effect, not the purpose of the GEC.

Cheers, Wayne

Occupation
Electrician
The NEC has been moving more and more to 'ground and neutral are to be joined at one and only one location' for many years now.

The change to eliminating 3 wire circuits for ranges and dryers, changes to outside feeders, etc.

While IMHO the change permitting the shared neutral between the 'emergency disconnect' and the 'service disconnect' is perfectly reasonable, it is arguably a change in the opposite direction.

Jon

Thanks Jon
Now the labeling gets me a bit confused to. Couldn’t the meter main be considered both and “emergency and a service disconnect” and when do you know which applies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.