This is how I understand a res service is done. If the MBJ in the main panel is removed, I’d have to isolate grounds and neutrals correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
6c6e2b891aa61ac0a856997f6056afde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm going to assume that the meter main is your new 'emergency disconnect' to meet 230.85. And that you will be labeling it 'not service equipment' and have no distribution there. Otherwise, the SEU would not be allowed. (Prior to the 2020 code, it would not be allowed.)

In this case your 'service equipment' is the panel on the right, and your main bonding jumper stays there because the MBJ is always at the 'service equipment'.

The NEC allows those GECs to be anywhere in your drawing. Your local traditions or utility expectations may vary from the NEC.

Note: if my assumption is wrong, and the new meter main is supposed to be new service equipment, then the SEU must be replaced with SER or another method with an EGC, and your water main GEC must be moved to the meter main. In this case, the MBJ in the panel on the right must be removed, and the grounds and neutrals must be separated in that panel with the neutrals isolated from the enclosure.

Occupation
Electrician
methinks you really want SER in that plan

~RJ~

May I ask why? The boss likes to use SEU between the meter main and the main panel inside the house. If it were in pipe between the meter main and the main panel I could see not using SEU but being new to all this, I thought this was the standard?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In this case they seem to like having the MBJ in the main panel and not separating grounds/Grounded conductor.
I need to get a Soares book and dig into this.
Are you on the 2020 NEC? IMO the meter main should be where the service disconnect is. Prior to the 2020 NEC you would not have the option to use the panel as the service disconnect.

Occupation
Electrician
Are you on the 2020 NEC? IMO the meter main should be where the service disconnect is. Prior to the 2020 NEC you would not have the option to use the panel as the service disconnect.

We are in the 2020 NEC in Massachusetts. Meter main outside, main panel is inside, usually a basement

Status
Not open for further replies.