"Terra-Dome" house

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: "Terra-Dome" house

I think I mentioned several times I do not advocate breaking the law in MA (or any other state for that matter).

The point is that the main reason you can come up with for the system seems to be you will lose money if it is changed, while using the premise of safety.

If safety was the real reason, and unlicensed workers were inherently unsafe, than HOs that are unlicensed would not be allowed to work on their own homes.

I don't know what the rule is these days, but for a fair number of years (in the early 90s anyway) it was possible for anyone to become a licensed EC in Rockford, IL just by paying the $10/year fee. As far as I know, this did not result in a huge number of unsafe buildings.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by petersonra:
The point is that the main reason you can come up with for the system seems to be you will lose money if it is changed, while using the premise of safety.
Bob you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

I would like to point out my reasons have nothing to do with money.

I do not now or ever plan to run an EC business.

I have always been able to find work.

I do not wire dwelling units.

It has to do with following the rules.

My job could be a great deal easer if I simply ignored the rules.

[ June 23, 2005, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

tx2step

Originally posted by petersonra:

OK Bob, you win! You've found me out. It is strictly about money. Just send me $10 and I'll agree with you! ;)

growler

Sure it's all about the money but Bob's reasoning is unsound. Who actually called for state licensing. In my state there are not enough contractors to pull that one off if the people were against it. The voters wouldn't want something that was going to cost them more money. I herd that the insurance companies were all for it, can't figure out why. We don't have a strong union and it's a right to work state. I think the insurance companies got what they could, state licensing for contractors ( try to eliminate those expensive fires) and left the homeowners the right to do their own work knowing that only a small number would do so. In all states there is going to be some work done on the sly. But until that percentage starts costing the insurers it a compromise. You need a few fires to get people to by insurance in the first place.

tx2step

Well Bob, you didn't send me the $10, so I still disagree with you. :D

But I suppose they can legally do their own brain surgery, too, if they want to.

Stand Back!!! Natural selection in progress!!! :cool:

[ June 24, 2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: tx2step ]

growler

First let me say I enjoy reading the comments of men of reason, tx2step & iwire. I myself get a bit nutty sometimes. When faced with certain situations I start joking, it's better than all that cursing. But after reading Bob's comment on transformer sizing, " This kind of decision is not really something that is typically based on calculation so much as a gut feel, or budgetary constraints". The reason Bob doesn't believe there is any skill used in electrical work, he uses a Ouija Board. Again I'm joking but that Devil's Advocate thing someone mentioned mite not be far off after reading some of his earlier comments.

tx2step

Well, he better be using a UL Labeled Ouija Board!!! ;)

Shouldn't be using anything related to electrical work that isn't UL Labeled, you know. I had to look a long time to find UL Labeled No. 2 pencils. Had to give up my Big Chief's.

In reading a few of Bob's other posts, I think he sometimes likes to take the contrarian "Devil's Advocate" position just for the fun of it. I suspect he has enjoyed this thread quite a bit.

electricmanscott

While you kids have been fighting I have not had time to call the Terra-Dome people. I think the name of the thread should be changed to "Uffer House". Seems to me thats what it is going to be. :D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by growler:
" This kind of decision is not really something that is typically based on calculation so much as a gut feel, or budgetary constraints".
Just what calculation would you make to determine potential future loads? You certainly cannot deny that financial issues play a huge part in determing what provision for future expansion you might allow for.

growler

You're right Bob. I had to use this to make a point. When someone uses the term "gut feel" it sounds as if you could use a fortune teller to do the work. But I know that you mean gut feel based on years of experience ( the kind you get from having done this more than once ). Well, something as simple as running conduit can be like that. Haveing done a job more than once you start to think ahead and not get yourself into a jam. It's not Rocket Science but it can still be a mess. I've worked on a couple of jails that were. One crew runs the conduit and the next pulls wire & terminates. It can get to be fun with all the cutting and repairing. We have taken over Scott's post to argue a different subject. Allow me to apologize for that. I thought that he had given up on the job anyway.

electricmanscott

Originally posted by growler:
We have taken over Scott's post to argue a different subject. Allow me to apologize for that. I thought that he had given up on the job anyway.
You're right I did give up on the job and go right ahead and argue any point you want in "MY thread". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.