Pull rope melted to PVC 90 with tugger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strombea

I had a situation pulling in #500 AL. into a 4" pipe. @ 200 ft Tugger stalled and after a day of troubleshooting and digging found that the rope had melted to the inside of the PVC 90. I was using Right Rope LLC. 7/16" Polyester Pulling Rope

Im looking at The iTool PS916-300 - 9/16 Inch Pulling Rope

Any recommendations? Rope Material that wont melt?

What did I do wrong.

BTW we just pulled half the length and used repair couplers, so job is all good

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Sounds like the guys on the “dumb” end weren’t feeding it like they should have. You say 90’, how many? How many guys on the dumb end? if any? 500 Al in 4” should be an easy pull.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
I had a situation pulling in #500 AL. into a 4" pipe. @ 200 ft Tugger stalled and after a day of troubleshooting and digging found that the rope had melted to the inside of the PVC 90. I was using Right Rope LLC. 7/16" Polyester Pulling Rope

Im looking at The iTool PS916-300 - 9/16 Inch Pulling Rope

Any recommendations? Rope Material that wont melt?

What did I do wrong.

BTW we just pulled half the length and used repair couplers, so job is all good
Lube?

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Sounds like the guys on the “dumb” end weren’t feeding it like they should have. You say 90’, how many? How many guys on the dumb end? if any? 500 Al in 4” should be an easy pull.
Agreed. If they aren’t going to help or not feed properly a front end pack may need to be used to lube the rope.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I always used metal 90's in runs over 50', probably unnecessary at times but burn through didn't happen on those pulls.

Roger

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I have learned the hard way, It does not matter what the elbow is made out of if the radius is 'standard'
I use 48" radius 90's on horizontal turns for 2" and up.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Pure speculation--the coefficient of friction of steel on plastic is for some reason much less than plastic on plastic, so it doesn't heat up the PVC elbow enough for it to soften?

Cheers, Wayne
I don't think it is heat, even though we call it burn through", I think it is simply friction and the pressure that pushes the pulling material against the inside wall of the raceway.

I would expect it is much worse as the sidewall pressure is increased because of high pulling forces.

"edited to add sidewall pressure comment"

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't think it is heat, even though we call it burn through", I think it is simply friction and the pressure that pushes the pulling material against the inside wall of the raceway.

I would expect it is much worse as the sidewall pressure is increased because of high pulling forces.

"edited to add sidewall pressure comment"
I call it a frict

Strombea

Yea the 3 guys at the dumb end were feeding it hard:) there was 4 90s at 36" radius. It has never happened since but I mainly wanted to know what material of rope to use. When I dug it up and cut the 90 open it had turned to that hard wax like material when you burn a fretted rooe on purpose.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have learned the hard way, It does not matter what the elbow is made out of if the radius is 'standard'
I use 48" radius 90's on horizontal turns for 2" and up.
I have never had any issues with standard radius bends when pulling around rigid steel elbows. The only time I would change the radius would be where the pulling calculation showed excessive sidewall pressure which can damage the conductor insulation. The crushing force of the sidewall pressure is reduced as you increase the radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.