Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: non paying customers

You're right Celtic.

Roger

apauling

to both jim and stephen: I assume you are illiterate as you seem unable to read complete sentences and make sense of them. I proposed that local contractors post on a board the non-paying customers and you both said that was a felony.

posting what others have done is not proposing it, and your inability to discerne that, points out that fine ideas pass you by.

paul :p :p

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Getting back to customers that don't pay (at least not on time anyway) it always seems to be the ones you least expect would do this. I recently did work for a past (good) customer and charged them only for the time I was there and any incidental material I used. They purchased all other material including exhaust fans, recessed fixtures, etc. The bill for my time and material came to approx. $1300.00. Although I did work in their residence the woman asked if I would make out the bill to her husband's business. I not only did that but I included a NJ ST-8 (capital improvement) form so they wouldn't have to pay sales tax.

A month goes by and no check, so I send out a past due notice. Two weeks go by and still no response so I place a call and I get this, " I turned over the bill to my husband and he has some questions about the last day you were here - he thinks the bill was too high !!! He's out of town but will return tonight and he'll call you." That was last week and still no call.

Now, you have to stop and think about situations like this. If there was a problem with any of the work I did, why didn't they bring it up when they first got the bill ? Why did they wait 30+ days until I contact them by phone to voice a complaint ? It's things like this that make me want to resort to some of the tactics posted here but then I stop and ask myself if $1300.00 is worth the risk of getting caught and going to jail and the answer is always no. But, I really would like to go and cut the tag on their meter pan and pull out the meter !!!

jimwalker

"to both jim and stephen: I assume you are illiterate as you seem unable to read complete sentences and make sense of them. I proposed that local contractors post on a board the non-paying customers and you both said that was a felony.

posting what others have done is not proposing it, and your inability to discerne that, points out that fine ideas pass you by.

paul "

"i was in that neck of the woods in the early 70's and elecricians who didn't get paid would wait until the right time, take the cover off the panel and cut all the circuits at the box edge. the next electrician who was called would refuse the work as he knew the guy didn't pay."

My response was to that statement.As to who is
illiterate , perhaps it is you.What exactly is an " elecricians " and did you mean "discerne "or discern ? And sentences and names start with capitals.Your fine ideas could very well get you sued.Have a nice day. ;)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Jeez, Jim. I don't think we're throwing a spelling bee here, and if we were, I don't think you'd place. :D :D

(Now I've seen everything...) :D

jimwalker

I like that idea of pulling there meter.I have better idea,pull it and flip it upside down and put seal back. :D :D Too bad that ain't legal either.
Best way i found is to show on bill, your late fees for past due. ;)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

True nuff.

I think that "illiterate" is about the biggest put-down someone can use on this forum. I find it very distasteful when someone singles someone else out and uses put-downs of that nature.
icon13.gif

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by apauling:
to both jim and stephen: I assume you are illiterate as you seem unable to read complete sentences and make sense of them. I proposed that local contractors post on a board the non-paying customers and you both said that was a felony.

Paul, it's pretty clear that if you read the thread closely, a distinction was made between your two ideas. The "cutting wire" method is inherently appealing to the base instincts of any electrician with pride (with the immediate gratification involved). Members recognized this aspect of the practice and immediately condemned such actions. They never once leveled a personal attack towards you. The practice was all that was called into question.

Your "public board" idea requires the same communication that the "cutting wires" technique would require: communication amongst your competitors, which requires cooperation that can be hard to accomplish.

The "felony" remark was clearly in reference to vandalizing a customer's property to coerce payment of a debt. That would indeed likely land you in jail.

You pitched in your "fine ideas", which were addressed and picked off one by one. There was no reason to single out the dissenters of your ideas and call them names. Uncool.

studiac

Originally posted by apauling:

I sure hope there is another Stephen on here, because I never said anything except "9mm". Which was meant to be funny. Seriously, I collect when the job is done.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Along those lines, the first image that flashed across my mind when I first saw this thread was a scene from "Goodfellas", when Ray Liotta was in the backseat with a guy down in Florida, pistol-whipping him and yelling "Gimme my fu**ing money! Gimme my fu**ing money!"

I didn't offer that up as an acceptable option, however. :D

highkvoltage

True Story. A EC I know went to cash a check from a customer, for $4000, only to found out there was not enough in the customers account. He has been chasing this customer for awhile. After a little prodding he found out he was only short a few hundred dollars from the teller. He went to his bank and withdrew a few hundred dollars then went back to the clients bank and instructed the teller to deposit enough to make the check good. He had the account number because it was on the check. He then cashed the check draining his customers account. He fiqured better out a few hundred than a few thousand. The customer calls within a few days screaming that he a occurred several hundred dollars in bank fees because all of his other checks bounced. As he explained anyone can deposit into an account if you have the number. Classic.

[ April 25, 2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: highkvoltage ]

tshea

To HIGHVOLTAGE

Thanks! That was the best get paid trick I ever heard. I'm keeping that one for my "special" customers!
Beautiful! :D :D :D

tshea

Here's a good one--the law says that if someone files bankruptcy, and you have been paid with 60 or 90 days (look it up) YOU must return the money as you are considered as a prefered creditor. So not only do you get screwed by a bankruptcy, you also get screwed if you don't have the cash redily available to return. This law needs to be fixed!

coppertreeelectric

Highvoltage, Kudos to you. I will be sure to remember that when a builder customer of mine bounces a check for the 23rd time.

Nice work

Steve

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Here's a good one--the law says that if someone files bankruptcy, and you have been paid with 60 or 90 days (look it up) YOU must return the money

Yup! I know someone that that happened to. But take heart, the Bushies fixed it so nobody can go bankrupt.

-Hal

tshea

But take heart, the Bushies fixed it so nobody can go bankrupt.
GOOD!
Now can I go back and collect from the 8 people who have gone bankrupt on me? Total: $64,500

Yes YOU do remember those nasty numbers.
Using 10% profit, I would have to turn $645,000 in sales to make that back. (Once gone, never comes back).

highkvoltage

Someone here once posted that they will hold onto a check and keep checking with the bank until there is enough in the account to cash it. He stated sometimes it take a few months but as they say timing is everything. With GC's I find out when their employees paychecks are passed out. I take the check to his bank on their payday knowing he had to put money into the account. When senior citizens first of the month. Most people though deposit their paycheck late Friday or earily Saturday. I normally show up Saturday just before closing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.