non paying customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey

I am wondering which approach most contractors use for non paying customers. Liens,small claims court?thanks for the info

highkvoltage

Re: non paying customers

Under $3000 small claims. Over $3000 my attorney takes them to court. Either case if you win the judgement you can also recover your cost.

tshea

Either case if you win the judgement you can also recover your cost.
HOWEVER, you still won't get paid. The best method is cash at time of service! Next to that file a lien. When they sell the property you might get paid something, unless the bank is owed more than what the building is worth.
The worst "poke in the eye" is when the &%@#*^ file bankruptcy. Then you get nothing!
I love it! I got a few of those!

celtic

Take them to small claims, win a judgement, notifiy the "Big 3".
If they haven't ponied up by the court date, they have no intention of paying. The judgement( and reporting to credit agencies) will damage there credit report...affecting everything from Credit Cards to refinancing/new mortages.

In NJ (I assume you are NJ, with that name), the judgement will stay on the credit report for 10 years and is renewable for another 10 years (20 years). In NJ's hot RE market, they can't afford that kind of a blemish on their credit.

There a few ways to "help" get the money (all legal w/o the need for Paulie Walnuts and Silvio Dante to put down the cannoli and get some exercise).

If your are from NJ, and need/want some info...just reply to this post.

apauling

i was in that neck of the woods in the early 70's and elecricians who didn't get paid would wait until the right time, take the cover off the panel and cut all the circuits at the box edge. the next electrician who was called would refuse the work as he knew the guy didn't pay.

I am not proposing anything drastic, but in the area of mutual interest, wouldn't it be nice to see local boards with late payers posted. it's what credit agencies do, why not local contractors?

paul

coppertreeelectric

i was in that neck of the woods in the early 70's and elecricians who didn't get paid would wait until the right time, take the cover off the panel and cut all the circuits at the box edge. the next electrician who was called would refuse the work as he knew the guy didn't pay.
Another great idea from apauling. This idea may work in your neck of the woods where the only other EC / Hacker is related to you.

apauling, we are looking for a new Director of Opreations. Would you be interested?

resistance

cutting wire is a crime!
Most likely this is in everybodies neck of the woods!

[ April 22, 2005, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: resistance ]

jimwalker

You should make it very clear to the customer that payment is due upon completion of the job.Add a finance charge of the max permitted by law along with there agreement to pay collection fees if needed.Let them know that any bills not promptly payed results in a $100 charge to file a lien the next day.I was taught how to collect 35 years ago when i did TV work.Before i delivered your repaired set i called the customer,informed them we had there set finished and would set up delivery.Asked them if this will be paid by cash , check or credit card so the driver had change if needed.What i was really telling them is we are collecting.Same method would work for service calls,let them know upfront that they are paying same day.

jimwalker

Bob,seems you don't mind paying for things that should be free.That's fine with me.If you want to why not donate an extra grand or two ;)
I don't like to be used as nfpa victom.I do give them credit in how they pulled this off.Local government rather than write there own codes use a private company and then hand bill to the electrician at any price they want.If you can't see this point then don't worry about it just keep paying.I found a free online site so problem is solved.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jim, have you found that online site where you can get stolen hand tools yet.

You keep bragging about using a hot copy of the NEC, well regardless of how you're trying to convince yourself that using a hot copy is justified, the bottom line is it's thievery.

Roger

[ April 23, 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

jimwalker

roger, your entitled to your opinion.Am getting bit tired of your calling me a tool thief,maybe your one but i am not.Will i view a web site that publishes the law for free ,YES and many saw that link posted here (not by me)and like it or not many copied it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jim, did you copy it, and if you did are you proud?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.