New Telephone Systems VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

Re: New Telephone Systems VOIP

Not using it.

Comment:
- Not all VoIP setups are tied into your local 911...one carrier is being sued because they didn't notify their customers of this problem.
- If the power goes out, so does your phone (modem is 110V)...remember the big black out awhile back? My standard landline still worked, but not my refrig.

(PS...I haven't forgotten to send you that flyer.)

coppertreeelectric

We use Vonage for our office phone and fax lines. We save about $200 a month.

Comment:
- If the power goes out, so does your phone (modem is 110V)...remember the big black out awhile back? My standard landline still worked, but not my refrig.
If the power goes out our phones are automatically forwarded to a cell phone.

Vonage has too many great features and tricks to ever go back to regular service.

We pay $56 a month for 2 phone lines, an 800# and one fax line.

coppertreeelectric

ALSO, Its unlimited long distance for one flat rate. Has many more features then a local carrier and you can also keep your numbers.

celtic

Originally posted by coppertreeelectric:
If the power goes out our phones are automatically forwarded to a cell phone.
...and how long does a cell site last w/o power?

...and what good is that when every other Tom, Dick and Harry does the same and overloads their system? This is EXACTLY what happened here during 9/11. I would "hope" they have made significant improvements to their systems since then.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to save some money on phone service, but the services would have to be equal to that which I get on a standard landline....911 included.

mtn_elec

About that 911 call I've heard they working on that and I believe you have to activate it so your phone call the nearest emergency operator wherever you are located. same goes with 411 service. But how it is the quality of the comunication? Would you be able to notice difference between analog and this VOIP?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

The FCC is looking at some rules that will require VOIP services to provide the same type of enhanced 911 information as provided by the wireline companies. There is a lot of support for this from the emergency services for safety reasons and from the wireline and cell companies for competitive reasons. This will be a difficult issue to solve as you can use your VOIP service anywhere in the world and as this time the service provider has no way to provide location information.

Don

celtic

Originally posted by mtn_elec:
About that 911 call I've heard they working on that ....
Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
The FCC is looking at some rules that will require VOIP services to provide the same type...
When they get done "working" and "looking" , I'll consider it.
In the meantime...I'll come to your house and look at the work that needs to be done and you can start paying me...LOL :)

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by celtic:
...and what good is that when every other Tom, Dick and Harry does the same and overloads their system? This is EXACTLY what happened here during 9/11.
Hey if you worried about doomsday who's to say they will have time to answer your call on a land line. :(

charlie

Comcast has batteries at their amplifiers and the modem has a battery backup. On top of that, I have a cell phone for a backup to the VoIP system. I really don't see much of a problem with Comcast over SBCs much more expensive service. :D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Charlie,
The only problem is the lack of information to your local 911 call center in the case of an emergency. Many calls are received where the person on the calling end is unable to speak for some reason. If the 911 center cannot get the enhanced 911 information, they cannot send help. I am a member of our local E-911 board, and lack of information is a growing concern of ours. Another concern is the fact that 911 systems, at least in Illinios, are funded by a line charges on the cell and wireline phone systems, and there is no way to get money to support the 911 system from VOIP users.
Don

celtic

Originally posted by iwire:
Hey if you worried about doomsday who's to say they will have time to answer your call on a land line. :D
I think your "joke" is a bit out of line - I lost some good friends and family members in the WTC.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

About all I can say for VOIP is a big thumbs down.

The s**t is already hitting the fan over the 911 fiasco. Seems all you folks are attracted to VOIP because it costs half of what your LEC charges. About half of your LEC bill is taxes and surcharges that support things like E911 services. VOIP folks don't pay those charges YET.

I want to see how popular VOIP will be in a couple of years when the government decides to levy those same charges on them. Then all you will be left with is crappy service.

-Hal

tshea

I use Vonage at home. I activated my 911 service like the instructions said. I ahve Vonage for over 2 yrs now.
At the shop we are still tied to the land line. We have 5 lines, fax, and DSL. I'd like to analize the cost difference between VOIP and my land line. Trouble is I have a contract with 3 yrs to go.
VOIP is definately in the back of my mind for the shop.

silverbk

I'm using Vonage for voice and fax, and it's great. I also use Optimum Voice in my home, which is set upcorrectly is supposed to work in a blackout.

Incidentally I was at the WTC on 911 and the only communications I had was my Nextel cell phone, which remained working throughout, and portable FRS radios, that we commandeered from a Duane Read pharmacy, they worked better then our department issued radios.

All of our Landlines went down, as well as our water and electric after the second building went down. Cell stayed up.

During the blackout of 2003 both cell and landline stayed up.

I'll give you a report on my VOIP if the sh-- should hit he fan here again.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I activated my 911 service like the instructions said.
But that call does not come in on a 911 line at the emergency dispatch center. It comes in on the 7 digit emergency number(in some cases a general use number that is not manned outside of normal business hours) and the dispatch center does not recieve the enhanced 911 information that is very important if the caller cannot speak.
Don

coppertreeelectric

Incidentally I was at the WTC on 911 and the only communications I had was my Nextel cell phone, which remained working throughout,
I worked one block south of the WTC on Rector st when 9/11 hit. Nextel was also the only form of long range communication that worked for us. We used the two-way feature to keep in touch with co-workers and the phone feature to keep in touch with family. A half hour after the first plane hit the land-lines were un operable.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

No offense to those who think otherwise, but this is my thinking.

We survived for many, many years without 911 service at all. we survived more years without the more expensive 911 service. At some point, if people want to use VOIP, they are going to have to accept the minor problems that not being at your regular address is going to bring if you use it elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.