Kline 10-in-1 screwdriver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

highkvoltage

Re: Kline 10-in-1 screwdriver...

midget. For the most part they are junk. I've owned 2 and they really aren't that great. If you use the nut driver part which also holds your smaller bits you usually end up losing the bits or the ends get lose and don't hold them real well so they fall out thus losing them. :mad: ,I have found many years ago buy the tool for the job your doing. If you need nut drivers go buy nut drivers. I do have the Klien 5 in 1 and only use it for the screw driver part and I love it. Buy the way all I own is Klien tools and will not buy anything else they are simply the best tools for electrical work. I have screwdrivers that I use daily for over ten years.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Charlie,

I made the referral to "Big Orange" not in disrespect but rather as a goof because everyone used to refer to IBM as "Big Blue" and it grew to encompass Home Depot. Many members in this forum often refer to Home Depot as "Big Orange" and I believe it's meant in a most sincere way and not in a derogatory manner.

However, I would like to mention that I often get up in arms when I'm in the electrical section of HD and I hear a HD associate giving electrical advice or instructions on how to wire services or devices to people who don't have a clue as to how to do almost anything. If HD gets sued as a result of poor advice they can take the hit, but a small guy like me can't ( not to mention either me or some other independent electrician like me would lose the work as result of their misguided advice).

While I purchase most of my electrical materials at a supply house I do purchase some materials at HD (even electrical materials) and I enjoy the ease of shopping and check-out. However, I go in early in the AM knowing what I want, where to find it, I scan and check out myself and I'm out before the mob scene starts.

[ December 22, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

highkvoltage

I dare anyone to where an Electrical Contractor's shirt or anything pertaining to the electrical trade walk into the electrical sections of HD and get out in 15 minutes. I myself also shop there and have befriended some of the employees. They will ask questions on the code and I'll answer them. If I don't know the answer off hand I will look it up and call them back. Usually though it is something simple. In return they have sent business my way if they see that someone is over their head. But as most here I buy most of my material from the local supply house. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I dare anyone to where an Electrical Contractor's shirt or anything pertaining to the electrical trade walk into the electrical sections of HD and get out in 15 minutes.
What's more excruciating is listening to bad advice (while wearing my work shirt), perking up at hearing the bad advice, being ignored and just walking away.

Or when you can tell the person is hopeless--my Dad, bless him, does things electrically that boggle me and he sounds reasonably well informed at the hardware store. Some of these folks, well, need professional help. Showing grandma how to swap out her outlet just doesn't seem responsible to me.

No offence intended to (professional electrician or otherwise) grandmas out there. :) Merry Christmas Grandma! :D

midget

Well, if I had to pick to shop at Home Depot, or Lowes, I'd pick Home Depot. Customer Service at Lowes seems to be...well, nonexistant. :p

electricmanscott

Originally posted by midget:
Well, if I had to pick to shop at Home Depot, or Lowes, I'd pick Home Depot. Customer Service at Lowes seems to be...well, nonexistant. :p
Customer service in the same paragraph as Lowes and Home Depot. :roll:
:confused:

jimwalker

I see nothing wrong in calling HD big orange or walmart as wallyworld.No harm meant.As to the 10 in 1 they are great for service calls but worthless on normal jobs.I have pieces from 4 of them.
I would hope nobody here is going to Home depo to get electrical advice.They do not pay journeyman wages so don't exspect to get that kind of help.Makes about as much since as going to discount auto parts loking for a mechanic.

Sears Craftsman sells a 10 in 1 that is the very same as Kliens,$9.99 I believe,and they will replace them when they wear out,I bought one a year or so ago and have replaced it 3 or 4 times.

ryan_618

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Originally posted by midget:
[qb] Can anyone tell me why, with the thousands of products they sell, the only items under lock and key are gfci and afci breakers? I've asked and been told that they are the itmes most stolen. Give yourselves a pat on the back scumbag electricians. :roll:
:confused:
I think it is because they are expensive (100 bucks for a 2pole 50 GFCI), and they are pocket sized. I don't think it is the sparkies stealing them, it is the theifs that steal them then return them.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Just so?s ya knows: I asked my ?off-the-topic? question about the meaning of ?Big Orange? because the first three posts in this thread used that term and the term ?Home Depot? as though they meant different things. Take a look at those three posts, and you will see what I mean.\

I have no objection to conversational use of slang, even slightly disparaging terms for large stores. I used to call one of my wife?s favorite stores (when we lived close to one) ?Needless Markup.? I?ll leave it as a homework assignment for the reader to figure out what I meant by that term.
:D

peter d

Speaking of Home Depot, I was just there today. Christmas light were 75% off.

My cart was overflowing. :D

Hey, it's my one weakness. When I get my big display up next year, I'll let everyone know.

aelectricalman

I have owned 2 10 in 1's. I always lose the phillips bit. I've taken it back twice. I do not recommend it unless you like the square head bit for your breakers and receptacles. They just are not a good tool otherwise.

jimwalker

They are worth the 10 bucks if you do service calls.Meter in left hand , klines in back pocket,clip board and 10 in 1 in right hand and ring doorbell.Carrying in a tool box is risky,you might bang it into something or have small kids running around and getting into it.Service work is about solving problems fast,clean,correctly and at a fair price.

Status
Not open for further replies.