Kline 10-in-1 screwdriver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midget

I read somewhere (can't remember which forum) about a 10-in-1 screwdriver made by Klien. I looked on Big Orange's :p website and didn't see it. Who has one? You like it? what bit's come with it? How much is it? Where did you get it from? Is it insulated?

[ December 21, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: midget ]

justin

Re: Kline 10-in-1 screwdriver...

they're great. they have 1/4 and 5/8 in. drivers, small and large phillips and straight, as well as screw lock for panel covers and small and large star drivers, excellent i keep a spare just in case i loose mine os something, and they're cheap, about 10$at big orange OR home depot!

midget

Are 1/4 and 5/8 common sizes for nuts? Wow...That's good they are cheap, I think I'll be picking up a couple. :p Are they insulated?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by midget:
Are 1/4 and 5/8 common sizes for nuts? Wow...That's good they are cheap, I think I'll be picking up a couple. :p Are they insulated?
Hey, since you're throwing money around, hook me up, I'm broke!

No more insulated than a regular Klein screwdriver.

peter

Just to clarify, the Klein 32477 10-in-One screw driver has #1 and #2 Phillips, #10 and #15 Torx, #2 and #3 Robertson [square drive] and two dull chisel points, 3/16" and 1/4" which I guess you could use on those obsolete slatted screws.
By throwing away one of the small bits, you get the equivalent of a 1/4" nut driver and if you remove the insert, you get a 5/16" nutdriver.
Also, like all Klein tools, you can use the handle as a lightweight hammer but they don't mention that.
~Peter

peter d

Midget,

There is a special deal going on at Lowes and Home Depot right now. You can get a Klein 5-in-1 screwdriver, pliers, and wire stripper for $30 in a special "gift pack."

They won't last long, so I suggest you go pick one up. :D

midget

I don't see that on HD's website. :( But I do need a new pair of strippers. What's the 5-in-1 have? Lemme go look and see if I can see that or not--maybe I just missed it when I was looking for the 10-in-1 this morning.

EDIT: So, I just called HD, and the guy the transfered me to didn't know what I was talking about--heh. He wasn't too helpful, either...but oh well.

[ December 21, 2004, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: midget ]

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here. I've gone through 2 Klien 10-in-1 screw drivers. I thought they were great. However, the amount of times that you'll use the 1/4" and 5/16" nut drivers are far less than the amount of times you'll use the #2 Phillips, slotted or Robertson head tips. (I've worn out 4 #2 Phillips head tips within a year.) Having said that, if your supply house doesn't stock the replacement tips you'll end up with another infrequently used tool in your pouch. Also, if you try to untighten a 1/4" nut that might be frozen in place you may end up stripping or widening the socket because the metal sleeve holding the tips is not made as strong as the 5/16" socket.

I'm not knocking Klien by no means and I have a lot of their tools, but I've tried returning some worn out Klien tools to my supply house (like I would Craftsman tools to Sears) and the response I received was that "the tool has lived its useful life" and Klien would not replaced it at no charge.

I now use the Work Force (Big Orange) 5-in-1 version of the same screwdriver and I'm a lot happier with it. At least this way if I strip it, break it, lose it or mis-use it, it only costs $5.00 as opposed to $10.00 (and I know - up front- that Big Orange is not going to stand behind a $5.00 screwdriver). Phillips and slotted are the most used tips and the 1/4" sockets are used a lot less than the 5/16" are (in my opinion) . I carry a Robertson screwdriver for those neutral buss bars that require them.

[ December 22, 2004, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

OK, I?ll admit my confusion. All this time, when any Forum member used the phrase ?Big Orange,? I had thought it was intended as a slightly disparaging comment upon ?Home Depot.? So what is ?Big Orange,? if it is not ?Home Depot?? Is it the ?Do-It Center?? Something else? Am I the only one who got that term wrong?

wirenut1980

As far as I can guess, Big Orange is Home Depot. Never heard of it referred to by that name before coming onto this forum, but it's kind of funny. :D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Some forums refer to it as BORG (I'd guess a contraction of Big ORanGe).

[ December 22, 2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

luke warmwater

Originally posted by midget:
I don't see that on HD's website. :( But I do need a new pair of strippers. What's the 5-in-1 have? Lemme go look and see if I can see that or not--maybe I just missed it when I was looking for the 10-in-1 this morning.

EDIT: So, I just called HD, and the guy the transfered me to didn't know what I was talking about--heh. He wasn't too helpful, either...but oh well.
Midget,

such things are called 'Special Buys' and will not typically be found on their website.

Your local store might not get the same special buy as stores in other markets.

Also, when you called the store, for all you know you might have gotten someone who works in the lumber dept. Ask to speak to someone in Dept. 27

midget

LOL Department 27? :p I told the lady I was looking for a screwdriver, so she transfered me to Hardware. :p I tried to get the hardware guy to transfer me to someone in Electrical, because I figured it might be with the electrical stuff, instead of the other tools...

peter d

Originally posted by charlie b: OK, I?ll admit my confusion. All this time, when any Forum member used the phrase ?Big Orange,? I had thought it was intended as a slightly disparaging comment upon ?Home Depot.?
I am getting pretty sick of the Home Depot bashing and hearing "Big Orange". They are a retail store, not a prison. :D

[ December 22, 2004, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by peter d: I am getting pretty sick of the Home Depot bashing and hearing "Big Orange". They are a retail store, not a prison. Don't get me wrong, I am no big fan of Home Depot, but I do buy things there and they do have their place in the market.
I?m not sure if this link will work after today, since the comic strip is changed daily. But I could not resist the connection between this discussion and today?s strip.

Check this out!

peter d

LOL, that is very funny, thanks for finding that Charlie.

I guess I am fortunate to live in New England. There are still hundreds of alternatives to Home Depot around here. And when all else fails, there's........Home Depot. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.