Island receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: Island receptacles

Originally posted by wrestless:
Just got a violation on an island that is 8ft long in an L formation. Read art 210-52(2) Island counter Spaces having a little trouble with this ?
We installed (2) outlets on the back side of cabinets within 2 ft of ends of cabinet and within 12 inches of overhang HE says violation because the counter top is more than 6 inches and
dont know if im reading this right with the A and B exception . The inspector wants them on the ends of the cabinet and there are draws on ends with only 1 inch clearance for a box should I try shallow gems (which I never used just seen) or make it look real nice with WIREMOLD.Input appreciated Thanks

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

forgot to add....Shallow gem boxes with a device and # 12 will not fly cu. in. capacity is overloaded.

volt101

Originally posted by wrestless:

P.S. A little something for inspectors to think
about. A very good friend of mine has a son now who is severely scared for life do to an island outlet. Seems his wife was deep frying on the island when the plug which was plugged into an approved installation was pulled by his son age three on top of him. I for one absolutely think
there should be NO outlets on an Island or Pennisula. Let it be up to the Homeowner if they want it or not. I mean really dont you think there
is enough receptacles on the average countertop
now. [/QB]

G

If there is no receptacle on the island, then an extension cord will be used and strung across the floor or counters. That will be even more hazardous from a tripping standpoint. Additionally, extension cords are subject to damage, overloading, and arc faults.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

This is not a valid debate.The receptacles are required.If you put one and meet spacing either below or 20 in above it meets both wall spacing and countertop spacing.A 47 in kitchen island only needs one receptacle centered and within countertop code to meet both wall and countertop requirements.It`s up to the parents to moniter their kids.Heaven knows I`m a worry wart when it comes to my girls.But I pay attention.A kitchen when being used is no place for a kid.Unless they are being tought how to cook.So it`s on the parents.All we can do is meet the present code!!!

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Oh and yes there are enough receptacles now.

pierre

A resolve that I have seen it to install the island so it is not permanent. Once it is not permanent, the receptacle is no longer required, sort of like a piece of furniture.

As far as the inspector making a choice not to require something that is in the code, isn't that the same as an inspector who requires something that is not in the code?

Pierre

jeffrose

I did a kitchen remodel earlier in the year and the whole island had a 6 inch overhang so I had the granite guy cut a rabit on the underside of the granite large enough for a piece of Wiremold to fit in and secured it with epoxy (do not use anchors!) and it worked perfectly. With an added bonus of the homeowner not complaining about outlets in her precious cabinets. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.