Island receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrestless

Just got a violation on an island that is 8ft long in an L formation. Read art 210-52(2) Island counter Spaces having a little trouble with this ?
We installed (2) outlets on the back side of cabinets within 2 ft of ends of cabinet and within 12 inches of overhang HE says violation because the counter top is more than 6 inches and
dont know if im reading this right with the A and B exception . The inspector wants them on the ends of the cabinet and there are draws on ends with only 1 inch clearance for a box should I try shallow gems (which I never used just seen) or make it look real nice with WIREMOLD.Input appreciated Thanks

russ

Re: Island receptacles

If the overhang is 6" or more the inspector has made the right call. The exception of mounting required kitchen counter outlets below the counter top must comply with the two restrictions.
Not more than 12" below the counter top, and not where the overhang is 6" or more.

[ April 22, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: russ ]

bphgravity

What happens at six inches anyway? 2 inch, 4 inch, 8 inch, how does this effect the use of the receptacle? Is the code concerned that if the outlet is installed the full 12" below the counter and then 6" in, the cord length will be too short on the appliance? Any thoughts? :confused:

russ

The idea behind limiting the over hang is, the larger overhangs can leave a loop of cord between the counter and the cabinet. This space with the deep overhang is often used for seating.

wrestless

Just came back from the job my man installed the receptacle 4 inches from the back corner and 8 inches from bottom of overhang. We just blanked
the existing one and installed another 5 inches from the existing one and he accepted it. I just thought he could have let it go being how close to the corner it was.
P.S. A little something for inspectors to think
about. A very good friend of mine has a son now who is severely scared for life do to an island outlet. Seems his wife was deep frying on the island when the plug which was plugged into an approved installation was pulled by his son age three on top of him. I for one absolutely think
there should be NO outlets on an Island or Pennisula. Let it be up to the Homeowner if they want it or not. I mean really dont you think there
is enough receptacles on the average countertop
now.

ryan_618

Originally posted by wrestless:
P.S. A little something for inspectors to think about. ...I for one absolutely think
there should be NO outlets on an Island or Pennisula. Let it be up to the Homeowner if they want it or not. I mean really dont you think there
is enough receptacles on the average countertop
now.
That really is tragic, and I hate to hear about that kind of thing.... but, its not for the inspectors to think about, its for the code making panel to think about. I for one am not interested in some moron running an extension cored to his/her island because I let an installer get away with one. Let's go back to your story for a second. You said that the homeowner should decide whether or not to use it...well, they decided, and evidently they made the wrong choice.
I'm sorry to sound like a heartless A$$, but as written in the code I have to require it. Sorry :(

russ

The kitchen is a dangerous room. Adequate precautions should always be taken. Being a parent myself I know no matter how diligent, you don't always see the danger soon enough.

We enforce the code, if the requirement for the receptacle wasn't there, we wouldn't ask for it.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by wrestless:
A very good friend of mine has a son now who is severely scared for life do to an island outlet. Seems his wife was deep frying on the island when the plug which was plugged into an approved installation was pulled by his son age three on top of him. I for one absolutely think
there should be NO outlets on an Island or Pennisula. Let it be up to the Homeowner if they want it or not.
That is a horrible event my kids are 3 and 5 and I hate seeing them in the kitchen when we are cooking, they get into stuff so fast you can not prevent it.

That said I do not think the situation will be made better by eliminating the outlets, people with good intentions will use extension cords.

On a happier note deep fryers now must have cords that come off at the unit before pulling the unit.

wrestless

Ryan and Russ
Totally understand that the NEC asks for it . Just seems I heard this story about some
moron running an extension cord to an island so
many times from various inspectors. Yet in 32 years of doing primarily dwelling wiring I never
even came close to seeing that. Did see a lot of
cord running in basements,garages and attics though. No argument here know you guys are only doing your job. Thanks for the reply

electricmanscott

I think in todays kitchens there are generally plenty of counter use receptacles. If in island was lacking one most people (not all of course) would work with an appliance at a convenient spot with a receptacle rather than use an extension cord. It seems to me that a receptacle on the side of an island is a definite hazard when in use whereas not having one is a only a potential hazard. Tough call for me.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Wrestless,why did you blank them off?Although not a required outlet.They wouldn`t be a code violation.

canadian

I agree with wrestless and scott on this one.The vast majority of people with no island receptacle will keep their power appliances on the countertop...not run a cord to the island.With the island plug installed and in use, the cord is drooping over the island top within reach of any toddler(doesnt seem to make much difference to the toddler if theres a 4 inch , 6 inch, or 12 inch overhang...the cord is still hanging there shouting 'pull me')
Ross

pierre

Not every family or owner of a dwelling has children. There are too many different situations that can arise for the use of kitchen countertops, so a general rule has been applied.

Pierre

electricmanscott

Pierre it is a general rule to reduce a possible hazard while at the same time creating one. Makes little sense to me. Ryan, what do you do if someone refuses to install one? I have several times not installed an island receptacle as the homeowner absolutely did not want it either for safety reasons or the fact that they didn't want a hole cut into their new $50K cabinets. I let them explain it to the inspector and have not had any negative feedback.

bphgravity

"It can be debated that all of the requirements of the NEC, when traced through a chain of events, may relate to an electrical hazard."

Remember, we are only striving for practical safegaurding, as horrible as that might sound.

JSwanson

Regarding countertop receptacles: People are saying that the 6" overhang is often used for seating which is why they don't want a receptacle located beneath it. What if the 6" overhang is used for seating and also is part of a living room, and you need to have a receptacle mounted there to serve this living room to please the 2' rule? Now there is a receptacle at 18" AFF yet it is below the countertop. If you ask me this should still be a hazard and the receptacle should not be installed. Any codes? Just had this on a project.

G

They're ugly, but the best way to put a receptacle on an island is to use a "monument"-- unless there is an overhead cabinet within range.

173110104.jpg

G

Where do I get granite that cheap? :) $3000 won't get you too far!

The decorator would have to come up with a "cozy" to hide the monument.

Another option is to work a pillar into the island or peninsula and put the receptacle there.

An ugly monument is better than somebody getting hurt.

Even under counter receptacles can ruin the look or function of an island or peninsula. Order of priority:

1. Safety & code.
2. Function.
3. Aesthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.