I just bought a light........

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
i am an admin for what is arguably the largest long covid support
group there is, with around 200K members.

most of what an admin there does is eject anti mask, and anti vax people
who join to jeer at people disabled. not trivial disabilities, either.

so, i have largely complete disregard for people who dismiss it. or ridicule
crippled people for sport.

so, why do it when you've never had covid yourself? someone has to.
My wife's cousin wound up with long-ish COVID, but it was a mild mugging and not a complete beat down. Fortunately, she seems to be completely recovered now.

retirede

My wife's cousin wound up with long-ish COVID, but it was a mild mugging and not a complete beat down. Fortunately, she seems to be completely recovered now.

I ran into a former coworker on Monday. Told me his wife was in the hospital with it for 52 days back in 2021. She still can’t walk 50 feet without running out of breath.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I ran into a former coworker on Monday. Told me his wife was in the hospital with it for 52 days back in 2021. She still can’t walk 50 feet without running out of breath.
at the risk of bringing down the threadlocking hammer... i'll say this much...

if you have a facebook account, go on there and look at a forum called Survivor Corps. it's an open forum, you don't have to join to
read. just go there and read.

there are 200K people on there in various states of long covid.
heart attacks, strokes, brain fog, early onset dementia, assorted cancers, tumors, and generally horrible crap.

it's sorta like dropping on the deck of a plague ship, and walking around.

Fulthrotl

Without hard data, I wouldn't trust 'pulsed power supply to prevent O3 formation'. That concept sounds fishy to me. High energy UV causes ionization events; that is _exactly_ why you want it for sterilization. Ionization in air causes O3 and NOx formation. The levels might be low enough to be tolerable and worth the benefit, but don't trust any marketing woo for how they make the O3 not happen; have them show you real numbers.

There are a bunch of studies out there on the benefits and risk of far UV. Make them pay for articles behind pay-walls, and then read them.

Lot of places where this sort of tech would be of benefit, if it works and is safe.

Remember that once a company is selling this product, if they find data suggesting a new risk from it, they will try to bury that data and keep bringing in the cash.

-Jon
hard data arrived last night.... plugged in and running a while,
there is zero, as in no ozone present. meter is nist certified,
and resolves to .01 PPM.

Attachments

• ozone.jpg
    ozone.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 10

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
How does the glass last so long? There are some extra long life T8 lamps that can last 80,000 hours with 90% maintenance, but UVC lamps typically don't go much past 10,000, because the glass itself gets ruined by solarization which turns the glass less transparent to UVC.

The 80,000 hour T8 lamps would remain lit if manufactured without phosphor coating and enough mercury dosing to prevent mercury starvation, but I'm unaware of any envelope material that could be used that would maintain good UV output. The lamp might glow just as bright to the eyes, but that doesn't mean the UV isn't diminishing.

Fulthrotl

How does the glass last so long? There are some extra long life T8 lamps that can last 80,000 hours with 90% maintenance, but UVC lamps typically don't go much past 10,000, because the glass itself gets ruined by solarization which turns the glass less transparent to UVC.

The 80,000 hour T8 lamps would remain lit if manufactured without phosphor coating and enough mercury dosing to prevent mercury starvation, but I'm unaware of any envelope material that could be used that would maintain good UV output. The lamp might glow just as bright to the eyes, but that doesn't mean the UV isn't diminishing.
it's a proprietary quartz tube 1" dia x 9" long. when we were discussing the
structure of the lamp, the CEO mentioned that it was stupidly expensive, but
it was hard to break, and could be re vacuumed and refilled for a relatively
nominal cost.

as long as they can get enough airflow over it to prevent overheating, they
are running them up to 1,200 watts thruput, and using them in a pair for
2,500 watts. supposedly they have done indoor basketball courts, and covered
it well enough to prevent covid transmission with multiple emitters.

but the individual lights are at 150 watts thruput, and have a couple subsize 1 1/2" muffin
fans to blow air around the tube to cool it.

the tube is warranted for four years. if the tube malfunctions, it turns opaque white,
and it's time to send it back to the mothership. they claim a service life of 30k hours.

i want to put it in front of a decent spectrum analyzer, so i can see how many watts
are really coming off it at 222. and how far they are effective at sanitizing.

that can wait. i'm starting three weeks on the road, and am in flagstaff tonight,
heading towards bisti badlands and durango tomorrow.

Attachments

• flag.jpg
    flag.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 11

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
it's a proprietary quartz tube 1" dia x 9" long. when we were discussing the
structure of the lamp, the CEO mentioned that it was stupidly expensive, but
it was hard to break, and could be re vacuumed and refilled for a relatively
nominal cost.

as long as they can get enough airflow over it to prevent overheating, they
are running them up to 1,200 watts thruput, and using them in a pair for
2,500 watts. supposedly they have done indoor basketball courts, and covered
it well enough to prevent covid transmission with multiple emitters.

but the individual lights are at 150 watts thruput, and have a couple subsize 1 1/2" muffin
fans to blow air around the tube to cool it.

the tube is warranted for four years. if the tube malfunctions, it turns opaque white,
and it's time to send it back to the mothership. they claim a service life of 30k hours.

i want to put it in front of a decent spectrum analyzer, so i can see how many watts
are really coming off it at 222. and how far they are effective at sanitizing.

that can wait. i'm starting three weeks on the road, and am in flagstaff tonight,
heading towards bisti badlands and durango tomorrow.
The thing is that opaque white is meaningless. Plastics turn yellow/brown rather than neutral gray, because degradation causes opacity to accumulate in certain range of spectrum rather than uniformly across visible spectrum. The glass in germicidal UV lamps degrade faster than cathodes and selective opacity in UV range is not visible to the eyes.