How to find articles in the Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie

Re: How to find articles in the Code

If you use the electronic version of the 2002 NEC (I don't have the electronic version of the 2005 yet), the index is displayed in the L/H column and by clicking on the plus signs (just like using a file explorer), you open up the differant Articles, then Parts, then Sections. It is interesting that I have been using this method for a long time and didn't know it. :D

vhterway

Pierre - I went through and did the highlighting. I also went over the tables you suggested and reviewed the defenitions in article 100. I think I'm ready for the week two stuff whenever you can post it. Thanks again! :)

vhterway

If anyone can give me a hand on figuring out how to find this article in the code as if it were a question on the test, I would really appreciate it. The question is out of Mike Holt's exam prep book.

Multioutlet circuits rated 15 or 20A can supply fixed apliances (utilization equipment fastened in place) as long as the fixed appliances do not exceed _____ percent of the circuit rating.
a. 125
b. 100
c. 75
d. 50

I answered c because I looked up fixed appliances in the key word index and got art. 220.17. The correct answer is d and the reference is 210.23(A)(2). I don't understand how to find that using the k.w.i. or the book index. How would one go about looking this up on the test?

Another question is:

Splices and taps are permitted in cabinets or cutout boxes if the splice or tap does not fill the wiring space at any cross-section to more than _____ percent.
a. 20
b. 40
c. 60
d. 75
How in the world do you look that up?

Any help is welcome and appreciated! :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Splices and taps are permitted in cabinets or cutout boxes if the splice or tap does not fill the wiring space at any cross-section to more than _____ percent.
a. 20
b. 40
c. 60
d. 75
How in the world do you look that up?
I look at the key words. Cabinets and cutout boxes are giveaways that the answer will be found in Article 312.

It's a short article, so sifting through it doesn't take long. That doesn't bear any fruit as far as "box fill" or "conductor fill" in bold. So you have to look closer.

On further review, it's hidden in 312.8. "Cross-section" is a term that pops out when you're in a hurry. :)

[ April 17, 2005, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Multioutlet circuits rated 15 or 20A can supply fixed apliances (utilization equipment fastened in place) as long as the fixed appliances do not exceed _____ percent of the circuit rating.
Article 210 makes a huge stink about what circuits can and can't supply. 210 is a little big to skim, but "Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place" in that article in bold would probably catch your eye. :D

For me, it comes down to a lot of reading, and paying close attention to how questions are phrased. Hanging out around here doesn't hurt. :D

friebel

I am an instructor at Delaware Tech. & Comm. College, and at present I teach three different subjects, and one of the subjects is the NEC. I must admit, that I enjoy teaching the NEC more than the other subjects that I teach.
Our main objective is to teach electricians who are going for their Masters license.
We are also using Mike Holt's text, "Electrical Exam Preparation". As an instructor, I commend the electrician who can study the code for taking an exam, without being in a classroom setting.
In a classroom setting, their is so much give and take, and sometimes I may not be correct in what I am saying and sure enough, one of my students will correct me.
During our sessions, I will ask, "what article is Motors", what article is Services. I feel very strongly that the more we are familiar with the code, the more confident that we are in taking an exam.
I also have 45 years of experience in the industrial area, and I do firmly believe that this is also a plus for teaching. You can be an excellent electrician, but you also may not be a very good instructor. It does take a special person who can relate to the student, and really wants him to succeed in learning.
I personally feel great gratification, when my students pass the Masters Exam. I feel that I have done my job, but I must say that it is the student who is studying hard, who will pass the exam.

pierre

From Friebel

"In a classroom setting, their is so much give and take, and sometimes I may not be correct in what I am saying and sure enough, one of my tudents will correct me. During our sessions, I will ask, "what article is Motors", what article is Services. I feel very strongly that the more we are familiar with the code, the more confident that we are in taking an exam.
I also have 45 years of experience in the industrial area, and I do firmly believe that this is also a plus for teaching. You can be an excellent electrician, but you also may not be a very good instructor. It does take a special person who can relate to the student, and really wants him to succeed in learning.
I personally feel great gratification, when my students pass the Masters Exam. I feel that I have done my job, but I must say that it is the student who is studying hard, who will pass the exam."

I agree with everything being said here. The feeling of gratification when you have been able to help a student is the best part of teaching. The next best part is how much the instructor actually learns in the process of teaching.

ryan_618

Originally posted by pierre:

The feeling of gratification when you have been able to help a student is the best part of teaching. The next best part is how much the instructor actually learns in the process of teaching.
You hit it right on the head their, Pierre.

vhterway

georgestolz - thanks for the pointers. I don't know if you read the whole set of postings, but the key words seem to be my weak point. My instructor is focused on reading the code book to us and doesn't point out any key words. I guess, basically, the "Exam Prep" class is just an "NEC story time" class. At any rate, thanks for the help!

vhterway

Pierre - I don't mean to sound rushed, but would it be possible for you to post your methods of teaching for some more of the class weeks? We are fininshing up week 7 and I'm getting nervous about the test. I would really appreciate any help you can give. Thanks a lot!!

vhterway

Has anybody used the Tom Henry sample test and quiz books as well as the Mike Holt exam prep book? I got the Tom Henry book from the library and was looking through it. The questions are laid out differently than the ones in Mike's book - they seem to be more vague and harder to answer. I was wondering if one was more representative of the type of questions that will be encountered on the test than the other. Another thing, has anyone taken the ICC test (on the computer)? How does that compare to the Experior test?

vhterway

I have a question about some answers in Mike Holt's prep book. The questions about conductors and the ampacity charts are starting to confuse me. I understand how to look up things and cross reference things but some of the questions use the 60c column to get the answer and some use the 75c column. If the question doesn't reference a specific temperature requirement, is there a guideline or general rule that would make this easier?
Example:
What size THHN conductor is required for a 2-hp, 230V single phase motor?
a)14AWG
b)12AWG
c)10AWG
d)8AWG
the answer is a)14AWG rated at 20 amps at 60c
A 240V, 100A, single phase load is wired with 2/0 AWG aluminum conductors in a steel raceway. What size copper wire can we use to replace the aluminum wires and not have a greater voltage drop?
a)1/0 AWG
b)1 AWG
c)2 AWG
d)3 AWG
The answer is b)1 AWG with the same ohms-to-neutral impedance and ampacity of 130A at 75c.

Neither question states temperature requirements. How do you ensure you pick the correct column?

sirdle

vhterway,

Check 110.14(C)(1) for temperature requirements.

BTW, I used all of Tom Henry's books when studying for my license 10 years ago. I disagreed with 3%-5% of the answers, even after exhaustive searches. Some of the questions I just didn't understand, but I think there are some errors (were?). So don't take it as the gospel.

If you get hung up on a question, post it here and see what kind of response you get.

sirdle

vhterway,

I am not sure I understand the second question. No insulation type is specified, so I would think this is a question about the resistance of the conductor and not the ampacity. I would look in Table 8, Conductor Properties. 2/0 aluminum has a resistance of 0.159 ohms/kft. So find the smallest uncoated copper conductor which has a resistance less than that... #1 at 0.154 ohms/kft.

Is it possible that this is how the answer was arrived at?

vhterway

sirdle - Thank you. The reference to 110.14C1 makes it all clear. We didn't go over that in the class. I understand much better now.
As far as the second question, yes, it is about conductor resistance, but the book also says that when replacing aluminum with copper to be sure not to exceed the ampacity. That along with the 60/75 C problem I was having confused me. #1 is rated 130A at 75C, but 110A at 60C. I understand now that acc. to 110.14, this is a motor circuit so I should look at the 75C column.
Thanks again for all your help, it answered a lot of questions for me! :) :) :)

vhterway

:confused: :confused: Okay. I'm going through a Tom Henry exam question book and I'm stumped on one.
In a dwelling, the minimum feeder neutral for a 5kva clothes washer/dryer would be _____kva.
a)5
b)4.3
c)3.5
d)3.0
The answer is c, but the reference is Annex D example D2b. How is that? :confused: :confused:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Look at 220.22 for an explanation as to why 70% is used.

Roger

vhterway

Thanks Roger. How does the reference to the annex work, though? I guess I just don't get the annexes. I appreciate your help!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Vhterway, the annexes are for reference and examples only, the annexes are not truely code. (with one exception, but that is a different topic). Looking at D2(b), it walks you through the proceedure for the Ungrounded Service Conductors and OCPD.

Now we must look at the Neutral, when using any Optional method the Neutral conductor must be calculated per the Standard method.

I may not have answered your question yet, let me know.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.