How did you get started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: How did you get started?

17 years old got a job with a small contractor in NYC.I worked the entire summer doing overhead service change outs.We didn`t have roto hammers so it was a 2 x 24 in.star chissel and a 5 lb hammer,needless to say I was the hammer guy.I lasted all summer going into my senior HS year.Richie told me that I could come back any time after I graduated and he would teach me.After graduation there I was.That was in 73.

j7david

Re: How did you get started?

I grew up around the construction industry and at 17 owned my own roofing company. Of course my two employees were my younger bothers 16 and 12, what a nightmare; but perhaps that explains my history of high blood pressure with a diagnosis at 18. After living in a commune for 5 years and running various construction crews to provide income for the commune, I moved back home. When a mining town has the main mine out on strike you take any job you can get and shipping and receiving in an electrical supply house was not beneath me. It was not long before I was working the counter and those poor electricians had no peace from me. Why this, how come that. why not the other, this doesn?t make sense to me, tell my why? However there was a contractor who remodeled retail space and needed to do a portion of the work late at night and on weekends, when stores were closed. This provided the opportunity to try out some of the things I was learning. Later I found a brochure for a community college for an electrical code class. Now I had read the code book through several times, rough slogging and almost impossible for me to understand, but I had done it. (made the Bible seem like a children?s book) The idea of some one to teach me what that darn book really said was a dream come true. Then I discovered that the reason every one else was taking the course was to preparing for the masters exam, that was a shocker to me as I was better informed and understood the concepts far better than 95% of that class did. You see all those factory reps really don?t do all that bad of a job of teaching, and Allen Bradly does do a very good job of training if you really do want to learn. Guess what? It wasn?t long before I had masters license. Then we moved for my wife to do doctorate work, and the only work I could find paying a livable wage was as an electrician; the supply houses seemed to think I could live on love alone. That was 18 years ago and I?ve never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.