Heated pavement

retirede

I have the standby generator for power outage. I think some kind of eco friendly biodegradable automotive antifreeze with anti corrosion properties would be recirculated with same type of pump from a baseboard heating system. I’m guessing at this there is probably a packaged system already on the market.

There is antifreeze specifically formulated for hydronic systems.

Be really careful of that sort of ad, BTUs are BTUs (or joules are joules, if you prefer), if all a matter of how you get and move them. (And what most people call a boiler is really a water heater anyway, it doesn't make steam.)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is a Public Input for the 2026 code for electrically conductive paving with "busbars" in the paving and the current flowing through the resistance of the paving material. The PI indicated that additional additives are put in the paving to make it conductive and the current flow through the resistance of the paving itself would provide the heat.
Iowa State University in association with the Iowa department of transportation has some test installations.
Not sure if it will make it into the code as there are lots of questions as the the safety and the step and touch potential on the surface of the paving.
There is a lot of information available with PI 4168 for CMP 17. The PIs can be viewed or downloaded at the NFPA website.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is a Public Input for the 2026 code for electrically conductive paving with "busbars" in the paving and the current flowing through the resistance of the paving material. The PI indicated that additional additives are put in the paving to make it conductive and the current flow through the resistance of the paving itself would provide the heat.
That sounds terrible in so many ways.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
When you find out how much it will cost to heat that driveway, the size boiler you will need you will quickly find out that the snowplow is very cheap.

In fact, you would be able to buy a truck and a plow for what the snow melt will cost to install and run. We are a week into January in the NE and we have not had any snow yet. Probably this weekend.

See the attached

Attachments

• 180-01554-01-hydronic-snowmelting-essentials.pdf
    701.1 KB · Views: 10

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The cost of electricity to melt the snow would be insane; especially if you're burning propane on site to make that electricity. You can see this YouTuber's channel for what he did. He has gas-fired hydronic heating. He's in Buffalo. He usually doesn't bother turning the system on until the snow is finished. The heat can't keep up with a heavy snowfall.

Sky Products

Occupation
Frozen Food
I know it would cost a lot to run but $350 is about 100 gallons of propane. During a prolonged wide spread power outage (6days) in the summer (with central air running) I used about 60 gallons per day for standby generator. I have a well pump to run also no power no water. About $200 per day but less than cramming my family in hotel. Hotels were filled anyway.
I will of course try to get an idea of costs involved first. That’s what I’m trying figure.

kwired

Electron manager
Heated water as pointed out is a good choice. Boise has an extensive geothermal district heating system for sidewalks and buildings.
I have seen driveway heating on This Old House and they may of used ground water wells with water to water heat pumps.
That is why embedded piping is the best option, there is many possible ways to heat the fluid you pump through it. Electric boiler, gas boiler, geothermal...

But as Jim Dungar mentioned this takes time to heat the slab up, even if electric elements in the slab, and needs to be up and running before it snows or you may have other issues if you get a lot of snow.

gadfly56

Occupation
My driveway is about 25x100. If I had 50,000 to spend a Jeep grand Cherokee with a lightweight plow is looking much better. More fun too.
For the same size driveway in my zip code, the mats alone from Warmlyyours.com were $23,237 and the controller was about $3,100. That's less installation. You're putting in a new driveway, so that portion of the cost is mostly the same, except how the electric mats directly affect the driveway installation.

If I had to guess, and I haven't watched all the videos at the link I posted, the electric mat installation may be cheaper, so it's going to come down to operating costs.

Sky Products

Occupation
Frozen Food
I need a new driveway in a year or 2, my wife’s car is getting old too. I think Eddie702 has the right idea. It will make my wife happy too. Maybe I can talk her into a 4x4 pickup.

gadfly56

Occupation
I need a new driveway in a year or 2, my wife’s car is getting old too. I think Eddie702 has the right idea. It will make my wife happy too. Maybe I can talk her into a 4x4 pickup.
Which will be her car. Right. Okaaaaay. :sneaky: