Heated pavement

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would think you have to listen to the weather report. If they’re calling for 18” inches depending on how heavy and wet it is you have to plow it 2 or even 3 times. Especially if your using a John Deere tractor.
My friend does exactly that.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The 4 wheelers work great I use one for moving snow. They do sort of have depth limits though. You can go through a foot of snow if not too far to push it. If drifted really deep you are probably out of luck. That is when you are probably waiting for that hired plow service to dig you out.
As the snow pack gets deeper, even the pros need to use a blower rather than a simple plow.

W@ttson

Sorry I’m late to the party here. If you are going to do the heated drive way watch this guys YouTube channel:

The video I linked is good but if you go through his videos he does a really great job explaining his system.

It’s totally the best way to go about it.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
30k you can buy a UTV 4x4 cab with heat/Ac power windows, pick up a plow for prolly 2k plow snow and have fun going on rides the rest of the time.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
That's certainly true, but the question is how much of it can you deliver to the wheels before they slip on the pavement?
Especially when you consider that you only have 4 tiny patches of rubber, about 4"x4", actually making contact with the pavement! Same consideration for braking as well.

PaulMmn

Occupation
What would one of those ground-source heating systems do for heating your driveway (in addition to the house)? Deep wells and 60* water... Should lower the cost of operation quite a bit!

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
If the site has 60°F groundwater in January, it probably doesn't need driveway deicing. Snow country's more likely to have 45°F groundwater.

Even if it were 60°F, the low ∆T would require a LOT more piping, pumping & flowrate.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Sorry I’m late to the party here. If you are going to do the heated drive way watch this guys YouTube channel:

The video I linked is good but if you go through his videos he does a really great job explaining his system.

It’s totally the best way to go about it.
Yep, that's the same fellow I pointed to in post #29.

PaulMmn

Occupation
If your garden tractor has hydraulic system connections, maybe there's a snowblower attachment for it.
That's the large size tractor. Most 'home size' tractors are either electric or just a plow with manual (haul the lever) raise/lower.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's the large size tractor. Most 'home size' tractors are either electric or just a plow with manual (haul the lever) raise/lower.
I've seen a "riding mower" size tractor with hydraulic attachments. This was back in 1995, but I suspect there are still some made that way. It is a bit of a specialty product, though. You have to seek it out and pay a premium for it.