Ground rods in sidewalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just replaced a panel today and without even thinking I picked up 2 ground rods yesterday. All 4 sides of the house are about a 2ft sidewalk. Currently just bonded at copper water entrance. Question is can I put my ground rods in the sidewalk? I couldn't find anything in the code saying no. But just figured I would double check with you guys. Thanks

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Just replaced a panel today and without even thinking I picked up 2 ground rods yesterday. All 4 sides of the house are about a 2ft sidewalk. Currently just bonded at copper water entrance. Question is can I put my ground rods in the sidewalk? I couldn't find anything in the code saying no. But just figured I would double check with you guys. Thanks
??
Existing sidewalks??

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Why are you adding ground rods for just a panel change?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The rods need to be 8' into the earth so your hole in the sidewalk need to be large enough so that they can be pounded even with or below the surface of the earth. Then you'll need to install the GEC and acorn clamp.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Sometimes you have no choice, and you have to put it (them) in a sidewalk, parking lot, etc.

I try to keep them within a foot of the building so nobody will trip. I just drill a 1" hole, and drive them to where the acorn sits on top. Never, ever had any problems from an inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.