garage circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneWay

Re: garage circuits

Originally posted by iwire:
Originally posted by OneWay:
GE Finance, GE Industrial
They apply an engineering stamp to your prints?

How odd.
I am Employed with General Electric and we engineer and design our products for our customers we stamp our equipment and it is underwritten with a UL listiing.

[ August 11, 2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: OneWay ]

OneWay

GE Finance, GE Industrial
They apply an engineering stamp to your prints?

How odd.
I am Employed with General Electric and we engineer and design our products for our customers we stamp our equipment and it is underwritten with a UL listiing.
on originals only.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

OneWay, I see, you work for GE, you really are one way aren't you.

Now I can understand why you would want all of us "corner cutting electricians" to invest in more than minimum. (preferably a GE product huh? :D )

Knowing that you are representing a manufacturer has really cleared up my blurry vision.

These qualities will help separate you from the "fly by nights" and will increase your profit margin.
The Company I work for has been around since 1926 and is fairly large we have offices in two states, we do multi million dollar contracts, and would you believe that we wire to the code minimum unless the bid documents keep all of the competitors in the same boat.

I don't really think wiring to code has anything to do with seperating us from the "fly by nights" or my profit margin.

BTW, not intended as a reflection on you, but I try not to use GE products if I have a choice, so I may not be a concern to you. ;)

Roger

[ August 11, 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hey, Oneway, didn't your original profile say you were an electrician?

When did you change that, certainly not after you were asked who sealed your designs was it?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I swear I looked last night and you said you were an electrician.

Roger

tony_psuee

Oneway,

if your confused over 15a or 20a in a residential garage, wait till you size a service for a 27 story building with a commercial parking garage attached
"Just Stay In Truck"!
I would rather have to do that than residential work any day. Why, because in looking at the content of the code that residential electricians have to understand and the variation of knowledge on the code the inspectors they have to deal with, that installation would most likely be a gravy cookie cutter job.

Tony

OneWay

Originally posted by roger:

When did you change that, certainly not after you were asked who sealed your designs was it?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I swear I looked last night and you said you were an electrician.

Roger
Roger, I didn't want to come off too arrogant, as i was speaking to one of our union workers the other day and he mentioned mike holt's code forum.
he mentioned that it was an electricians world of information and interaction for support. So, as I myself started in this business as an electrical apprentice with IBEW Local 26 and became a journeyman then a master electrician have evolved into my present position with General Electric. I realize everyone has their preferences's on products to buy and equipment they prefer to use, by no means am wanting to use my presence here to influence anyone to use solely GE products, Yet my original description was just simple and who I am in its own simplicity. But being called out about specifics I thought my profile should represent my position with the company. Personally, I like square "d" and Allen bradley products and there those who prefer other brands, I think GE is very competitive in the residential and commercial markets but when it comes to industrial i prefer square "d" and Allen-Bradley, so i am not offended there brother, use what you like, but the code is the minimum, lets raise the bar on our craftsmanship and see if the others can keep up.

[ August 12, 2005, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: OneWay ]

dillon3c

So, as I myself started in this business as an electrical apprentice with IBEW Local 26 and became a journeyman then a master electrician have evolved into my present position with General Electric.
Oneway,
Refresh my memory.(-rusty-),isn't that the Washington,DC local,and home to the International?

iwire

Staff member

the code is the minimum, lets raise the bar on our craftsmanship and see if the others can keep up.
A serious question here.

Don't you think it is the right of the customer to decide if we wire beyond code minimums?

If we make these decisions for our customers it is only to satisfy our own ego that we are better than the other guy. :roll:

OneWay

Originally posted by dillon3c:

So, as I myself started in this business as an electrical apprentice with IBEW Local 26 and became a journeyman then a master electrician have evolved into my present position with General Electric.
Oneway,
Refresh my memory.(-rusty-),isn't that the Washington,DC local,and home to the International?
[/QUOTE} yes it is are you a memeber? the last local i worked out of was 716 down in houston, texas

OneWay

the code is the minimum, lets raise the bar on our craftsmanship and see if the others can keep up.
A serious question here.

Don't you think it is the right of the customer to decide if we wire beyond code minimums?

If we make these decisions for our customers it is only to satisfy our own ego that we are better than the other guy. :roll:
False perspective, you are held personally responsible as a licensed electrician to comply with deed restrictions and city, state and federal laws related to the electrical activity you contemplate performing. This means that OSHA and the NEC's jurisdiction is pretty much in their face anytime safety and hazards are prospectively in question. If the home owner chooses to waive these regulations that is always their right, yet remind them if a hazard is developed due to inadequacies in their electrical system and their house becomes the victim for example an electrical fire they have the right to come after you for damages. It is always the best decision to apply your knowledge of the code to help establish or maintain the integrity of an electrical system that is free of faults, shorts and HAZARDS. read it. Not to compromise it by trying to support the customers argument as to what is needed or not. You are there because of their ignorance of such Electrical protocol as a craftsman you should always insist on doing things by abiding by the code, not refuting it to those in the same vocation, to even suggest compromise shows a persons stand on such issues.

Hanging christmas lights doesn't qualify as an electrician.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

A note to all who have been quoting each other in this thread: Please read the FAQ item relating to "Replying with Quotes." Please pay attention to the bit about not having to include the entire text of the earlier comment to which you are responding. Many thanks. :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Oneway,
You are there because of their ignorance of such Electrical protocol as a craftsman you should always insist on doing things by abiding by the code,
you need to slow down and read the other posts.

Go back and read Iwires words closely.

Reading others words and comprehending them may save you from inserting your foot in your mouth . :D

Roger

[ August 12, 2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

OneWay

A serious question here.

yes it is, yet why indulge such a coversation, i am referring to those that keep asking questions as to the accurratecies of the code, or if something is really needed or not.

False perspective, you are held personally responsible as a licensed electrician to comply with deed restrictions and city, state and federal laws related to the electrical activity you contemplate performing. This means that OSHA and the NEC's jurisdiction is pretty much in their face anytime safety and hazards are prospectively in question. If the home owner chooses to waive these regulations that is always their right, yet remind them if a hazard is developed due to inadequacies in their electrical system and their house becomes the victim for example an electrical fire they have the right to come after you for damages. It is always the best decision to apply your knowledge of the code to help establish or maintain the integrity of an electrical system that is free of faults, shorts and HAZARDS. read it. Not to compromise it by trying to support the customers argument as to what is needed or not. You are there because of their ignorance of such Electrical protocol as a craftsman you should always insist on doing things by abiding by the code, not refuting it to those in the same vocation, to even suggest compromise shows a persons stand on such issues.

Hanging Christmas lights doesn't qualify as an electrician.

iwire

Staff member

Hanging christmas lights doesn't qualify as an electrician.
Well I will let my wife know that next Christmas. :D

I have no idea what you where talking about in the rest of your post. I never said that I would not follow the NEC or other codes.

As Roger suggested go back and read my posts. :p

OneWay

Iwire, I'm sorry if i sounded wound up but I keep reading postings by electricians who seem to be trying to find ways out of having to abide by the code, the code is the minimum we have no real grounds to justify not following it. Now with that being stated we however can discuss with the customer , if they choose to, what applications beyond the code they wish to specify, in essence in general we should not leave the code itself up for debate to the customer that is for us as electricians in house to debate, on the residential customers side of the fence they have no real stand on whether or not we apply the code in our practices, we attain that responsibility when we become licensed professionals.

Ain't got nothin but love for ya!

[ August 12, 2005, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: OneWay ]

bothways

OneWay, I concur with ur statement but be advised that as City Inspector (AHJD), I determine what is and isn't acceptable. As for myself, the NEC is the MINIMAL standard for acceptance. Stay safe and remember - - quality is always better than quantity. :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bothways:
as City Inspector (AHJD), I determine what is and isn't acceptable. As for myself, the NEC is the MINIMAL standard for acceptance.
What are you saying?

Do you sometimes require more than the NEC and the State of CT?

As a CT license holder I was under the impression that the AHJ is the body in the state that adopted the NEC.

marissa2

iwire
Here in CT its the Dept of Public Safety, Office of State Bulding Inspectors office that adopteds the NEC. If that is the AHJ then I would say you are correct.
Lou.

bothways

iwire, not trying to confuse but simply and generically stating that some aspects of the code I am more stringent with and require greater compliance with such as -- I require all grounding conductors on a wye type system to be no less than 1 size smaller than the grounded conductor. The NEC has a little more leniency. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.