Doing a buddy's house in nj

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

I don't do many residential jobs in NJ but for you resi guys what is required to be on a 20 amp ckt in a single family home

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nickelec

I'm used to NYC where everything is number 12 and 20 in for the bathroom am I allowed to run a dedicated 20 amp line for the GFI and put all the lighting on a 15 amp arc fault circuit shared with the bedroom or hallway

kwired

Electron manager
outside of local rules, NEC requires 20 amp circuits for bath receptacles, laundry, more recently garage receptacles, and all the SABC's.

In the bathroom you must have 20 amp circuit to receptacle outlets, but have some choices of how to do them. You can put all receptacles in all baths on a single or multiple 20 amp circuits, can not feed other outlets if more than one bathroom is supplied by a circuit. Or you can run a single 20 amp circuit to an individual bath and put both lighting and receptacle outlets on it, but can not feed any outlets outside that bath.

Lighting outlets in a bath can be on a general purpose circuit that supplies other rooms - typically will be bedrooms but is not limited to those either, can be any circuit that doesn't have any restrictions on what can be served. Bath rooms do not require AFCI protection. Lighting circuit in a bathroom that is also serving other areas that do require AFCI will end up being AFCI protected anyway because the entire circuit is required to be protected as a general rule.

nickelec

Sorry guys don't do much work with nm cable in used to using ac/mc bx etc.. what cable has to be used to feed the main service panel coming out of the service disconnect outside

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I use either THWN or SE cable. Sometimes, depending on circumstances, USE-2 or RHW-2, which is commonly called "mobile home feeder cable".

nickelec

Does anyone know in point pleasant the pipco rules in regards to how far you can run SECs from the meter to the main service panel

nickelec

We plan to use a meter pan then offset nipple into an out door disconnect

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry guys don't do much work with nm cable in used to using ac/mc bx etc.. what cable has to be used to feed the main service panel coming out of the service disconnect outside

230.43 tells you what is permitted for wiring methods for service conductors. there is a list of 20 items there. NM cable is not on the list.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Does anyone know in point pleasant the pipco rules in regards to how far you can run SECs from the meter to the main service panel

If you're installing a disconnect then there is no limit because the SE conductors are now feeders.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

The outdoor disconnect is your service panel. You bond the neutral and ground in it and connect your GEC just as you would for an indoor service panel with a main breaker. From there you would run SER (2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground) to your panel in the house which is a sub panel. There is no limit on the length of the SER from the disconnect to the panel in the house. That panel could have a main breaker for convenience but it's not necessary.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager

Is the outdoor disconnect the "service disconnect"?

If you are already using 2020 NEC it may not be depending on circumstances.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Technically, we here in NJ are still on the 2014 NEC. In Sept. of 2019 NJ officially adopted the 2017 NEC but you have a 6 month grace period when filing an electrical permit. When you file your permit make sure you specify on the top of the permit that you are filing under the 2014 NEC.

That said, there's no need to run armored cable for residential work. If we all did that we'd go broke in a short amount of time. Others have specified where you will need 20 amp circuits. You are not REQUIRED to install an outdoor disconnect under the 2014 NEC . When NJ adopts the 2020 NEC you will be required to do so. However, if installing a disconnect is your only option then Hbiss' comments are correct. There are two other things I would suggest you look into :
  1. Check with the local EI as to whether you can use aluminum SE cable in a shore area. I've been told by other EC's that shore area towns don't allow aluminum due to corrosion from salt air (don't know if that's true or not)
  2. After Super Storm Sandy many shore area homes are now required to elevate their electric services to a certain flood level. You should check with the EI before the installation
Are you a licensed EC with a business permit in NJ ? If not, you will not be able to pull the permit yourself (technically you're not even supposed to help him but I don't thing anyone will bust your chops about that). You'll have to have your customer pull the permit, in which case he assumes all the responsibilities for the work.

If you have any other specific questions you can contact the NJ Div. of Codes and Standards :

609-984-7609

Good luck

nickelec

outside of local rules, NEC requires 20 amp circuits for bath receptacles, laundry, more recently garage receptacles, and all the SABC's.

In the bathroom you must have 20 amp circuit to receptacle outlets, but have some choices of how to do them. You can put all receptacles in all baths on a single or multiple 20 amp circuits, can not feed other outlets if more than one bathroom is supplied by a circuit. Or you can run a single 20 amp circuit to an individual bath and put both lighting and receptacle outlets on it, but can not feed any outlets outside that bath.

Lighting outlets in a bath can be on a general purpose circuit that supplies other rooms - typically will be bedrooms but is not limited to those either, can be any circuit that doesn't have any restrictions on what can be served. Bath rooms do not require AFCI protection. Lighting circuit in a bathroom that is also serving other areas that do require AFCI will end up being AFCI protected anyway because the entire circuit is required to be protected as a general rule.
Are the refrigerator and the stove/hood considered sabc I don't believe so Wich means I can run #14 for those as well and the dishwasher correct?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The refrigerator can be on the SABC or an individual 15A or 20A circuit.
The hood can't be on the SABC and must be on an individual 20A circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.