Confused BY The Nameplate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This pump is for a pool. Apparently it is for 2 speeds but there are many confusing things on this nameplate.

1. How can a motor be rated for 208-230v and why would they not go to 240V.

2. Amps = SF 8.5/1.5 ,... What does that mean? It can't be amps at High and low speed is it. I assume SF is service factor but I never saw a motor amps showing SF

3. Then there is HP.... 1.0 /.12 with a tag after the nameplate that says total HP 1.85 which happens to be the SF also

I don't know how these numbers are gotten. Any help?

This is a friends pool and I have not been there but he replaced the motor 6 weeks ago and it burned up. I am sure they will replace it but should this motor be wired to 240V---actual voltage is 246V

Tony's Pool Pump.JPG

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Looks like a two speed motor, the low speed produces .12HP the high speed 1.0HP. SF is for the service factor.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Most equipment is not rated at the nominal system voltage. The typical equipment voltage ratings are 115, 200, 230, and 460 for the nominal system voltages of 120. 208. 240 and 480 respectively.
Not sure why they used one nominal system voltage and one typical equipment voltage on that one.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1. How can a motor be rated for 208-230v and why would they not go to 240V.
As stated above, 115v and 230v are common ratings for motors designed for 120v and 240v, respectively.

2. Amps = SF 8.5/1.5 ,... What does that mean? It can't be amps at High and low speed is it. I assume SF is service factor but I never saw a motor amps showing SF
It appears that they added the SF to the label, so "Amps SF 8.5/1.5" means 8.5 amps and 1.5 service factor.

3. Then there is HP.... 1.0 /.12 with a tag after the nameplate that says total HP 1.85 which happens to be the SF also
Also as above, power at high and low speed currents, respectively. I think the 1.85hp number is bragging.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The SF amp ratings are for at high speed (8.5 amps) and low speed (1.5 amps).

Pool Pump Motor Label
What do I need to know about my motor and where can I find it?Every motor has a sticker or nameplate affixed to its surface that provides important specifications, including: voltage, (1) horsepower, Hertz rating and (2) service factor. All of this information will be required when the pump or motor is serviced or replaced.The Service Factor is a measure of the capacity at which a motor can operate without overload or damage.
A motor’s effective horsepower, or total horsepower, is the actual power output of the motor. You can determine this by using the nameplate to multiply the horsepower and the service factor together. In this case:
A motor’s effective horsepower, or total horsepower, is the actual power output of the moto
r. You can determine this by using the nameplate to multiply the horsepower and the service factor together. In this case:
1.5 (Horsepower) x 1.3 (Service Factor) = 1.95 (Total Horsepower)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Most equipment is not rated at the nominal system voltage. The typical equipment voltage ratings are 115, 200, 230, and 460 for the nominal system voltages of 120. 208. 240 and 480 respectively.
Not sure why they used one nominal system voltage and one typical equipment voltage on that one.

I get that Don, is a pump capable of running at 208-230v . There are no jumpers to change for the voltage

Last edited:

paulengr

Leaving aside the “200ish” voltages for a minute you have to consider voltage drop. So you set the transformer for 120 but the equipment is rated 110 V after considering voltage drop. Same with 230/240 and 460/480.

Getting back to the 200ish range a common commercial voltage is 240/120 delta high leg where you can get 240/120 split phase or 240 delta. Or you see 208/120 wye which does not have 240 V available. So commonly motors are rated 200-230 V in this range instead of selling a 200 and a 230 V specific motor.

Pool pumps are two speed or some have an on board VFD with 2 speeds.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is the rub. My friend is running it on 246V- actual voltage. Every 5 yrs he has to change the pump so I was wondering if this higher voltage is the issue. also why make a pump at 230v instead of 240v which is standard voltage

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Leaving aside the “200ish” voltages for a minute you have to consider voltage drop. So you set the transformer for 120 but the equipment is rated 110 V after considering voltage drop. Same with 230/240 and 460/480.

Getting back to the 200ish range a common commercial voltage is 240/120 delta high leg where you can get 240/120 split phase or 240 delta. Or you see 208/120 wye which does not have 240 V available. So commonly motors are rated 200-230 V in this range instead of selling a 200 and a 230 V specific motor.

Pool pumps are two speed or some have an on board VFD with 2 speeds.

That is what I was asking. The motors I have seen did not have such a range in voltage.

norcal

The 200V rating is more recent, although I have a couple of early 1970's Rockwell machines with single voltage 200V 3Ø motors. (Off topic they both are equipped w/ VFD's, 1 is a shaper, other is a 7" grinder so motor replacement was not a option for the grinder).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't think that I've ever seen 240 volts listed on a nameplate. Typically 208/230 or 208/230-460

retirede

A motor nameplates for 230 should have no issues at 10% overvoltage or up to 253 volts. I would first check the running load current. There should be some kind of overload protection - is there?

MTW

At the top of the label, it is thermally protected.

If the running current in the application is running into the service factor region. You should consider putting a vale in the piping to restrict the flow, and reduce the current draw to the 1.0 SF level for longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.