ceiling fan with light

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrossin

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Help!
My sister has purchase new house.The electricians say she can'not use a remote control fan and light,with this set up.(a'm assuming switches)My question is two part.#1 What is he saying, and why could you not use one.I never heard of this.#2 Could she still buy a unit with a remote control,but not use the remote control.Thank-you for any help you have. Dcrossin

russ

Re: ceiling fan with light

There is no reason that I can think of for not installing the remote controlled fan-light unit with the remote control. If there is a single pole switch that controls the existing ceiling light ,it can be left in the on position. If it's a three way the same can be done.

russ

All you need to operate the remote controled fan-light is a grounded conductor(neutral) and an ungrounded conductor (hot) same as a (swich leg that's turned on).

inspector 102

Is it a question that you can not use a remote control, or is a question of not being able to install a paddle fan in general. Perhaps the mounting box is not rated for the weight of the fixture. Otherwise I can not see a reason it would not work.

kiss

If you go to the AFCI post you will see there is a tread that goes into this type of a problem.

dcrossin

Thanks Kiss and Others

Maybe this electricial contactor has been having the same problems.He is using Cutler Hammer BR series,single pole,120 v.,15 amp breakers allso.If he tells the people you can't do this.He gets no call backs of the same nature,instead of looking into the problem.
I would like to hook this up for my sister,but don't want her to waste her money,and or cause a problem.
If any body else has any info. on this please replay.Thanks

bill addiss

Dcrossin,

You really should be asking the Electrical Contractor these questions. Without knowing the situation I don't know how you can expect to get a true answer.

Sorry, when someone says "What is he saying" without any facts it bugs me because everything is then speculation upon speculation. Call it a pet peeve.

Bill

[ March 04, 2004, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

kurrent

Call another contractor. One that will explain in writing why the installation wont work. Her contractor should also have recommeded solutions instead of "cant do that". I would recommend that you dont do any work on your sisters house. Most states allow only the homeowner residing at the house to do any electrical work. If there is a problem (I.E. the boxes arent fan rated) you may be setting yourself up for liability.

dave81

I am going to *** u me that the fan if already installed might not be compatible with a remote control device. Or if the outlet is not rated for a fan than additional support from above can be added then I would recommend bypassing the swithing so you don't have a little kid flipping the switch on and off repeatedly and burn up your receiver.

william runkle

Maybe I'm the Electrical Contractor. I told one last week couldn't install Fan Light with remote control over an indoor hot tub, ceiling height of seven feet nine inches, off water approximately 4 feet to ceiling. But was able to replace existing luminaire with a recesses can and a shower trim and change the breaker to a gfi. breaker.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

In addition to the suggestions others have already offered there may be a problem with the receiving portion of a separately purchased remote control device fitting into the fan housing as opposed to one that is already built into the fan/light unit. Also, as Bill had mentioned, you haven't provided enough information as to why this contractor told your sister that the fan installation was not possible. We can all speculate and come up with numerous reasons as to why an fan/light unit can or can not be installed but you'll have to provide us with more of the scenario in order to accurately help guide you in the right direction.

dcrossin

I like to thank all who replied to my e-mail /ceiling fan with light.I readed all the e-mails.
To make a long story short.I talk to the electrical contractor.Two things I can do.1.Wire the?ceiling fan up,and not use the remote.2.HE said,Remove the red wire from the circuit in the switch box(wire nut it),Because he said its the way the switches are wired in the box.I never heard of this.But he should know,He wire it.He said he gets to many call backs from homeowners losing the remotes.Go figure. Once again thank you
Dcrossin

bill addiss

It sounds like the light on the ceiling fan is the required lighting outlet for this room. The intent is to have a switch controlling this light and I think that's why there is a wall bracket included with the remotes.

Inspectors: If the remote is not mounted on the wall by the door to switch the light does this pass?

Bill

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Look at 210 70 a 1 exc. 2

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Sorry logged out.The only thing that is remotely simular is this article.There is nothing that says it can be but by the same token there is nothing that says it can`t.It`s about time the code board started addressing these issues.If it is U.L. listed then what?????? :confused:

william runkle

If it is two switches in use one for the fan and the other for the light all you have to do is eliminate one switch, and hook the remote power supply to the remaining switch. Now when you turn on the switch the light automatically comes on, and the remote dims the light and controls the fan, that is with Hunter remote fan light.

bill addiss

If it is two switches in use one for the fan and the other for the light all you have to do is eliminate one switch, and hook the remote power supply to the remaining switch. Now when you turn on the switch the light automatically comes on, and the remote dims the light and controls the fan, that is with Hunter remote fan light.
william runkle,

That seems like a good solution and I have seen that work. I've also seen where the switch did not turn on the light. Maybe that is the situation here (I'm just guessing though and trying to give the EC involved the benefit of the doubt)

What I was getting at before was:
210.70(A)(1) states that:
"At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom"

So, if the Remote is the only thing that can control the light it's got to be mounted on the wall. It's unlikely that a situation like this would remain compliant for long. I'm guessing that an Inspector would have to accept it though if the remote was there at the time of inspection.

Bill

mthead

Re;"as an inspector how would you deal with this issue were it to come up in the field?"

If it was an "old work situation"i.e.-room originally had only a pull chain fixture which was replaced with the appropriate fan box, fan ,and remote but no other new wiring run in the room I would accept it.
If we're talking new construction a sw'd recpt. or overhead light would be required for each room.

L.I.,N.Y. INSP.

hurk27

We ran into this problem with remote fans that have the receiver up in the canopy or the add-on remote controls. even some brands that have the remote receiver in the main switch housing or motor. many of these will not turn the light on if power is removed from the receiver. This causes a problem when the light on the fan is a required light (210.70(A)(1)). while some of the newer Hunter's will default to light on when power is lost I don't think that was a good move by Hunter as now you go on vacation and have the power go off and when it comes back on all the fan lights will be on. I wouldn't want that on my electric bill. Or even if the power goes off in the middle of the nite you get a rude awakening when the power comes back on. Not a good thing ether.

So a few years ago I started wiring the remote hot all the time and using the wall switch to bypass the remote for the light only. I do this by connecting the switched wire from the wall switch to the blue wire going to the light kit which is very accessible when the remote receiver is in the canopy. this way the light can always be turned on. What started me doing this is many times I had a 3-way that controlled the light on the fan over a stairway or a single pole for a bedroom and the home owners would come and remove the remotes (to keep them from getting lost or stolen), then the inspectors would red tag us when they couldn't turn on the light when they tried the 3-ways. But I found that it makes a nice backup if the battery's go dead or they loose the remote. I called a couple of the manufactures and asked them if they saw a problem with it and what they said is this:
As long as the switch is fed by the same circuit, and the remote receiver is fed hot all the time there wouldn't be an issue. but if you switch the remote receiver feed then there would as it would back feed the remote receiver if someone tried to operate the fan before turning the switch on for the remote receiver.
On fans that have the receiver in the motor or in the main switch housing I just push a #14 down the center rod and connect it to the light kit hot, This acts the same way as above.

And the home owners like it.

[ March 14, 2004, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

william runkle

Wayne your solution sounds like it would take care of the problem. And mounting the remote button by an entry to room would help in not loosing the remote. Your idea of battery life is a good thought Hunter doesn't use a standard battery like A or AA or AAA so have to buy one when goes out could be days. So Mr. Addis I believe we still need a switch and not rely only on the remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.