Ceiling fan rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

apauling

Re: Ceiling fan rates

$35, including driving time??? Some guys here think I am anti-profit, but wow. Most guys here won't show up for that, $100 minimum or more.

paul

southernboys

heck John I was going to up my rates till I saw your price where are you doing these fans at. typically it takes me about an hour to do neat good job guess I never really thought about it Ill try 75 and see what happens good thread

mdshunk

I know an man that's an "electrician" for the big orange store. 40 bucks is his cut on a fan install. I wouldn't even start my truck for 40 bucks.

jimwalker

"45$ TO CHANGE OUT A FAN,CAN I SNIP OFF ONE MY FINGERS INSTEAD,?
Jeff,
your right on target,
travel time(fuel now 2.19)
set up
assemble
change box(ect.)
clean up
collect 200.00 "

You left out doughnuts

GG

I think these guys that are doing fans for $35 are forgetting to tell you they still live at home with their parents. :p

jeff43222

Yeah, the more I think about it and read your comments, the more I realize that I'm not going to bother with a ceiling fan swap for less than $200, unless it's part of a larger job. If someone wants to find a handyman who will do the job illegally (ceiling fan installs qualify as electrical work here, so you either have to do it yourself under a homeowner's permit or hire an EC), I'm not going to try to compete with that.

luckyshadow

$35.00 I think it costs me that much to start my truck twice :eek:
Why would an electrician spend 1 hours time changing a fan for $35.00 but if you wanted him to change a panel for $35.00 an hour - would he do it ???

(edited for spelling)

[ June 25, 2005, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: luckyshadow ]

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by iwire:
Originally posted by electricman2:
You're close. Dad lives next door. :D
Is your name Raymond? :D
LOL! My wifes name isn't Debra either!

Seriously guys, I retired 5 years ago and only do this part time mostly because I just enjoy it. If I had to depend on my work to pay the bills like most of you I would have to charge a lot more than $35. ;)

rightelec

The southern boys and big orange around here get $100 for simple fan changeout no box, support or switch. I charge by the job and an average for me is around $150. Why would anyone not get just rewards for good skilled labor AND knowledge that was bought and paid for by their own desire to do the right and responsible thing and their blood, sweat and tears over many many long and hard hours!

blackrd

I just did a job, $350 for each fan. installing a rated box where there is no box, pulling a switch leg and then installing the fan. I was thinking I was a little bit on the low side. I thought I would up it to $380, make it a little mo' better for me. I thought I would do a little price shopping to see what other guys are charging for the same job. What I found is the guys with the big yellow page ads are charging $250 roughly for what I have been charging $350 for. I just spent 4 hours yesterday in an attic that was about 120 degrees. There is no way in hell I will do a job like that for $250 per fan.

celtic

The last one I did similar to blackrd's was $450 ~ and that was years ago!

I still find it amusing that our prices (as quoted by some ECs) seem to have leveled off while the price of everything else in creation has gone up. I can only assume that some EC's are happy breaking their backs for the same(or less) rate they got in the 90's.

growler

Celtic, in most states ceiling fans are they most competitive thing there is. Electricman2 admitted that he is retired and is just out for side money. You have every electrician and apprentice doing it as side work. When the union men are laid off they do it to make ends meet. You have handy-men, maintenance men, and Home Depot & lowe's electricians doing it on the side. A six ft. ladder and a few tools is all it takes. None of these people except electricman2 is licensed or insured ( no one cares, not that many people fall off ladders ). That's why the rates have not increased. I already have to give a pass on 4 out of 5. I don't see many fans in an EC's future.

bradleyelectric

Originally posted by blackrd:
I just spent 4 hours yesterday in an attic that was about 120 degrees. There is no way in hell I will do a job like that for $250 per fan.
I do them for $250, but get it done in 2 hours. If I could get $350 for them, I wouldn't do it for $100 less either, not matter how long it takes. I walk in, bust the single gang box out of the way and open it up for a 2 gang nail on, cut the hole where I'm going to mount the support box and shove the 14-3 up, go into the attic, go in the attic and drill right above the new 2 gang switch hole, shove the end of the wire that I stuck up through the fan support hole down to the switch opening, a few strategically placed staples, get out of the attic for good, make up the fan box, hang fan, screw 2 gang box to stud with drywall screws through the side, install 2 switches, jumper to make both sides of rec. hot, clean up and collect check.

blackrd

Just got a trouble call tonight about a fan. Guy says he hits the switch and the fan motor sparks and breaker kicks. I thought, PIA call, time waster, especially if I dont get it. So I told him 200 to change out the fan, 100 an hour to chase additional trouble if there is any, but no pay if I cant find it( to allay their fears). He was OK with it. I think we need to worry less about what we charge, and worry more about what we need to make a decent living. There are alot of horror storys about handymen service's doing electrical repair and installation. I always do my best to relay this to potential customers. Funny thing is, is alot of people seem to realize that, and say "thats why I called you". You can peg your rates to what everyone else is charging on the low end, or you can decide that your not going to sell yourself to he lowest bidder, that youve spent years learning your craft and by God, its not for sale to the cheapest bastard out there. If more guys were to look at themselves as professionals and demand proper compensation for their services, we might just find ourselves in the same boat as hvac guys and plumbers, who seem to demand just compensation for their services and around my area at least, tend to get it. Handyman services tend to say were expensive, while I tend to tell people that handyman services tend to be unsafe at electrical work, even the basic stuff like ceiling fans.

bradleyelectric

My father called from Ocala florida yesterday. He was at a fan shop to pick up a fan for his house. The guy that owns the shop told him he has plenty of work for guys that want to hang fans. $40 each. My father told him $100. The fan shop owner told my father that the guy he has doing it for $40 is a licensed master electrician. My father told him he is selling himself to cheap than.

Status
Not open for further replies.