Ceiling fan rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff43222

I got a call from a guy today asking how much it would cost to replace a ceiling fan. Ceiling fan jobs are generally a PITA, and I figure on two hours of work, assuming there's already a fan-rated box in place and that no additional wiring needs to be done.

So figuring two hours of work, plus travel time, I told him it would be about $200, plus permit. He nearly had a heart attack, and he was further shocked when I explained that he'd have to buy the fan first.

I'm wondering how other ECs around the country bill out jobs like this. FYI -- billed rates for electricians in my area are generally above $100/hour.

southernboys

Re: Ceiling fan rates

jeff why do you consider them a pita. to me unless im missing something there one of the easiest jobs going. that is as long as there was an existing fan mounted to a fan rated box properlu secured to a rafter. And the correct awg and temp of wire were pulled. I am interested in others prices as I usually charge 45 for fan change out fanamations are obviously more as are ceiling huggers total pia

mdshunk

2 hours plus parts (if needed). About 100 bucks for simple changeout when fan rated box exists.

I'm always amazed at how many people ask me if I could give them a few bucks off the bill if they let me have the old fan. What the heck do I need dirty old paddle fans for? Jeeze...

growler

Here it seems a fan change out is more of a handy man job. But if they are willing to pay electrical rates. The only ones that get a cut rate are they ones that can be done at our convenience at no more than 10 miles out. $100.00 for change out. After that it's a service call with 2 hr. minimum. The only way you can do things like fans ( cost effective) is if they have 4 or 5 or other work. The southern boys, the Home Depot electricians,and handy-man services have the rates so low that you can't show up for a single fan. Only get 1 out of 4 or 5 that call the rest choke on price. I think that the $45 southern boys quoted is side work pricing ( cash under the table ) The price others quoted sounds good to me. We don't permit fans here, are we would have to charge even more. ( FYI the handymen are getting $65.00 to $75.00 Cash )

southernboys

jwalker glad I aint the only one looking at those $100 tags and wishing I could make that around here every cat I know charges right arond $45 Ill try to bump my prices up SINCE I DO HAVE MY AL EC LICENSE. JUST WORK IN A CUT THROAT COUNTY WOULD LOVE TO GO FULLTIME JUST CANT MAKE IT SO I USE THESE SMALL JOBS TO GET MY NAME OUT THERE

blackrd

Im charging $350 a fan when there is no box and no switch leg (and in the attic, fishin'). I am only charging this because Im not yet able to get more(like $400-425). Some people choke, some realize its a nasty job and they couldnt do it without falling through their ceiling. The ones that choke can kiss mine and find somebody else.

jeff43222

I just did a job a few days ago that involved two ceiling fan changeouts, four outside light fixture changeouts, two inside fluorescent light changeouts, and one incandescent pull-chain light changeout. Total cost billed was $560 + permit, and I had no material costs. Homeowner already bought all the fixures, and I didn't have to mess with changing the boxes, switch legs, etc. The homeowner said my rates weren't too bad. Still, the ceiling fans took the most time. It's just time-consuming to dink around with putting all the fan pieces together.

I agree that a job like that isn't really worth it unless there's other work to do. I've got plenty of other (better) jobs on my plate without having to schlep across town for a single ceiling fan.

As a reference, I had a gas dryer break down on me a couple years ago, and the local gas company sent someone to my house to fix it. The rates were $85 to come out and do 30 minutes of work, and another $20 for each 15 minutes thereafter. Parts are extra. I imagine the rates are a little higher now. I wound up paying $85 + $25 for the part, and the guy did a lot less work than I do changing out a ceiling fan.

[ June 22, 2005, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: jeff43222 ]

shakyt

It does seem funny why electricians want to short change themselves, just doesn?t make sense.

If it is a direct replacement and all the existing meets code the charge is $ 75 per fan plus material.
Even at my rates , by the time I pay labor and figure in all the expenses most seem to overlook there?s not much left to brag about. I am not the highest or the cheapest, some guys here in my area of Texas charge $25, no wonder painters are laughing at us?

shelco

simple change out, box in place fairly close to office standard height ceiling I get $75.00.
I will do them all day long. Actual job takes about 20 minutes max. About 25% of the time I get more work when i am there.

blackrd

Simple change out, I take $125 minninum. Think about your time involved to get to the job , set up and breakdown. Youve got to figure these things into your pricing, if people want to pay cheaper, there are handymen who whore themselves out for next to nothing. nDont cheat yurself or your family, take care of yurself first. I just got called yesterday for somebody wanting me to "look" at 3 gfis that failed a home sale inspection. I told them, " for a trouble call, I charge $200, that covers you for the first hour, after that its $125 an hour. There should be no reason for me to be there for more than an hour". she says let me see if iI can find somebody cheaper. OK with me, that cheaper guy might not be around next year, and I didnt get all my worldy posession by trying to be the cheapest guy in town, there is always somebody else willing to do that.

larryl

45$ TO CHANGE OUT A FAN,CAN I SNIP OFF ONE MY FINGERS INSTEAD,?
Jeff,
your right on target,
travel time(fuel now 2.19)
set up
assemble
change box(ect.)
clean up
collect 200.00

larryl

Jeff,
listen to BLACKRD,he's got it going on,
he realizes that we got a skill,that nobody else has,
lets be compensated for it,,

charlie tuna

times change along with technologies!! many years ago, the average store owner or homeowner wouldn't think about "changing a ballast"!!!! "all those wires, are you crazy!" today, some housewives change them!!! yes, many years ago, much of our industry's work was changing ballasts!!! i worked for a contractor who had a contract with a food store chain! the only material on the truck was ballasts--lamps and scotchlocks!! just like computer equipment!
many years ago we had many jobs of just setting up computer equipment. the office manager wanted "no part of it" --- "too much responsibilty"!!! nowdays, you may see the secretary changing out her own equipment!!!

i think back and consider things that can go wrong on a "simple" fan change out!!! remember, when you finish, there is a responsibilty involved that you have then assumed! what if the original installation is wrong. what if the new fan is missing parts or defective? what if there is a fifteen minute delay in accessing the building or home? what if the check bounces? what if something out of your control fails after the installation? all the hidden problems, and i'm sure we can come up with plenty!!! i must admit, i had a fan job in my own house that "kicked my a$$"!!! had something to do with programming the remote control function! i actually, brought the unit back to the store and exchanged it, only to find out the second one did the same thing!!!! and as all electricians then do ---what else guys----------"READ THE INSTRUCTIONS"!!! a flat rate quote on a fan is too dangerous for me---like signing a blank check!!! and i know, you could specify the requirements to cover these unforseen problems and pass any added costs back to the owner. but you want a happy customer when you walk out the door!!! don't try to "compete" or "lower yourself" to the standards of a handyman on a "handyman" type job!!!!!!!!!!

celtic

I laugh when I see these 20 - 30 minute comments...
I just put up a simple Hunter fan in my own house, from the time it took to get the step ladder from next to the stove until it was put back in place ~ 2 hours. All that was done was drop the old fixture (I put a fan brace in a few years back when we bought the house anticipating a future fan installation) and mount the new fan, 9' ceiling - nothing fancy.

I understand time is money, but 1/2 hour? Get serious. I can only guess the name of the game is "slam, jam and scram" ~ and then you wonder why ppl don't want to pay $200 for a fixture swap out.

growler

I can't help wondering if everyone is talking about the same thing when changing out fan. Celtic says two hrs.and others say 20 minutes. Now I'm going to admit I'm not 21 years old and I don't run up the stairs, I don't even hurry much. But I have never done a change out in less than an hour. First you have to meet the customer, greet & present with a business card, find location of fan ( normally a bed room or living room) in a bed room drop cloth for bed and floor ( I have had nasty black crap come out when removing old fan and don't wish to damage bed spread and carpet). Living room you move coffee table and put down drop cloth so as not to damage hardwood floor. Now you disassemble old fan and take down. ( disassembly so old fan fits in box for easy disposal ). Assemble the blades and install new fan & light kit. Check operation and maybe add weights to remove excess wobble. Place old fan in box, then leave in garage or remove as needed. Return tools, ladder and drop cloth to van and make sure to return coffee to former location. Last make sure area is clean and no tools or materials left. Write and present bill ( wait 5 minutes while they find glasses to write check . If fan installation was an Olympic event I would think 20 minutes would be a good qualifying time. I have a hard times seeing a quality job in that time frame. But if anyone can do it they are welcome to my share of the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.